5speed to a 40 crossmember (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.4plusproducts.com
I've streamlined a setup to place a 5 to a f/2f in 40s using the flat bottom factory 69 style rubber mount. It has an integrated skid under the transfer.
Cross pieces are cut from 1/2" steel. the rest is 1/4. Crossmembers are pre welded so you just bolt the crossmember to the rubber mount, after you
install your 5 speed, then let the outer , weld on, pieces fall where the might. The outer mounts are slotted both fore and aft and right to left
so there quite a bit of fudge room. One the front is in place, let the skid plate position the rear crossmember. It will add rigidity to the truck.

IMG_8838a.jpg

IMG_8870a.jpg

IMG_8860a.jpg

IMG_8858a.jpg

IMG_8875a.jpg

Last edited:
Wanna make another set?

that's our plan. It's more steel than labor so we just need to get a couple costs figured out. I'll do that this week. We will probably add bolt rings like this...or use alloy buttonheads. the latter would obviously be cheaper but the rings look cool

IMG_7088 (2).JPG

Ready to purchase when you are ready to ship.

Although the skid plate looks to be a little lower, your rear brace solves the problem of removing the rear tube to allow the 5 spd to fit while giving additional bracing. I worried about frame flex and breaking after I removed the tube.

Niiice! I'm guessing this could also work with a V8 conversion..just slide the whole works as necessary??

[
Niiice! I'm guessing this could also work with a V8 conversion..just slide the whole works as necessary??

Probably. there's room to spread the mounts for the crossmembers but the transmount hole spread
fits the factory rubber mount. Some adapters use that mount others would require drilling the appropriate spread.

there's only about 3/8" from the bottom of the t-case to the skid and1/4"~3/8 from the top of the t-case to the floor.
The 5speed transmission is longer and the splitt-case a little bulkier so when you put it into a 40 the back of the t-case drops a little bit to clear sheet metal. This is especially true in the early 40s with the short transmission hump.

Bravo. Something similar would work for 5 speed conversions in FJ62s as well.

Bravo. Something similar would work for 5 speed conversions in FJ62s as well.

I guess it could but I don't have a 62 or a 5speed
I did something like that in my 60 under the 700r/203/splitcase setup. I used the bolts that were already there
that my sliders bolt to so it was even easier.

Why John, you driving a 62 these days?. After I get this squared I can mess with that.
I'll have the parts for the 40 versions next ready week. Making some final changes in the drawings.

Been driving a FJ62 since 1993. Wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but have a later eighties H55F/transfer case waiting to ship in Australia. A 3F bellhousings is now in the pile of parts just in case decide to install it in My FJ62 instead of my FJ45.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom