Cruiser shops/mechanics in Boston area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll echo what @4Beast said with the caveat that I have not had a personal experience but have heard good things. My buddy who I helped by an '08 4Runner Limited V8 had a very positive experience with them.

I'll also mention Vinny at Vinnie's Auto Sport in Somerville. Have used him a number of times and does great work at very reasonable prices. He also knows LC's very well so your truck would be in good hands. He's a one man show so you might have to book him in advance for serious work, but honest mechanics are hard to come by and he's one of them.

I've Used this Shop in Holliston, Ma for the last 5 years or so... Great group of Off road enthusiasts and they do extensive restoration work on all kinds of 4wd's. Their main clientele over the past 3 years has been the Land Rover Defender community but he has done extensive work on Land Cruisers as well. He's been my go-to guy since I acquired mine and he did quite a bit of work on my Tacoma, Lift, UCA's rountine maintenance, etc.

Home - BDR Automotive

Last edited:
View attachment 1936387

I've Used this Shop in Holliston, Ma for the last 5 years or so... Great group of Off road enthusiasts and they do extensive restoration work on all kinds of 4wd's. Their main clientele over the past 3 years has been the Land Rover Defender community but he has done extensive work on Land Cruisers as well. He's been my go-to guy since I acquired mine and he did quite a bit of work on my Tacoma, Lift, UCA's rountine maintenance, etc.

Home - BDR Automotive
He's definitely a good guy (love his Forward Control Land Rover) and anyone who works with Land Rovers is certainly going to be experienced (but you might not be able to get an appointment with the constant parade of Rovers on flatbeds!).

He's definitely a good guy (love his Forward Control Land Rover) and anyone who works with Land Rovers is certainly going to be experienced (but you might not be able to get an appointment with the constant parade of Rovers on flatbeds!).
Brian's is a great guy and Brad who works the front desk is knowledgeable about all the restos going on so its fun to just inquire about all the projects sitting around. I've been using him for years now, I've never had to wait more than a couple of days. Most times I can make an appointment the week I call. They may have lots of projects going on at the same time but most of his Resto work is Long term. So his daily schedule is relatively open.

Brian's is a great guy and Brad who works the front desk is knowledgeable about all the restos going on so its fun to just inquire about all the projects sitting around. I've been using him for years now, I've never had to wait more than a couple of days. Most times I can make an appointment the week I call. They may have lots of projects going on at the same time but most of his Resto work is Long term. So his daily schedule is relatively open.
That was tongue in cheek because Land Rovers are some of the least reliable vehicles in history, not a comment on his actual availability. I'm sure he can fit new people in...

That was tongue in cheek because Land Rovers are some of the least reliable vehicles in history, not a comment on his actual availability. I'm sure he can fit new people in...
Haha, of course now that you say that....its exactly how it reads!!!😂

I'll echo what @4Beast said with the caveat that I have not had a personal experience but have heard good things. My buddy who I helped by an '08 4Runner Limited V8 had a very positive experience with them.

I'll also mention Vinny at Vinnie's Auto Sport in Somerville. Have used him a number of times and does great work at very reasonable prices. He also knows LC's very well so your truck would be in good hands. He's a one man show so you might have to book him in advance for serious work, but honest mechanics are hard to come by and he's one of them.
Thank you! Any/all good leads are most appreciated! Will keep you all posted on my results

I ended up using Volsar in Medford. They were reasonable re $ and did just what I asked “just tune up and make sure it will pass inspection”. good experience. Just wanted to give feedback 👍🏻

I'll bump this one again. I live up on the North Shore and Parry Motors in Portland, ME is not too far of a drive for me. Parry is a Cruiser head and knows how to take care of pretty much any series. His prices are fair too.

I'll bump this one again. I live up on the North Shore and Parry Motors in Portland, ME is not too far of a drive for me. Parry is a Cruiser head and knows how to take care of pretty much any series. His prices are fair too.
Cheers. I too am on the North Shore and although I do my own wrenching it's good to know that a "professional" Cruiser head is near by...kind of.

Thread Revival July 2020
I need to service my 2005 LX470. The "clunk" has gotten bad and I'm thinking of ripping out the AHC and putting in a new suspension. Any good LC suspension shops/mechanics in the Boston area?

Thread Revival July 2020
I need to service my 2005 LX470. The "clunk" has gotten bad and I'm thinking of ripping out the AHC and putting in a new suspension. Any good LC suspension shops/mechanics in the Boston area?
Clunk isn't from the suspension. It's from the drive shaft slop or more likely front diff bushings. 3 new bushings for the diff, lube the zerks on the drive shafts and the clunk will be gonzo. Unless you wrench its a job you should pay a shop for...any shop. Get the AHC serviced and leave it alone. I have a 2000 LC. My best mate has a 2000 LX original AHC. Similar milage. Both live in MA. With these roads his drives MUCH nicer.

Clunk isn't from the suspension. It's from the drive shaft slop or more likely front diff bushings. 3 new bushings for the diff, lube the zerks on the drive shafts and the clunk will be gonzo. Unless you wrench its a job you should pay a shop for...any shop. Get the AHC serviced and leave it alone. I have a 2000 LC. My best mate has a 2000 LX original AHC. Similar milage. Both live in MA. With these roads his drives MUCH nicer.
Understood, I meant both issues need to be addressed. Now that I'm on east coast I'm mostly highway and motivated to remove my aging AHC. Does anyone have experience with Iron Man suspension kits? I want something that is comfortable on bumpy roads and wont rattle my truck too much. Also any great LC supsension mechanics around Eastern Ma?

Understood, I meant both issues need to be addressed. Now that I'm on east coast I'm mostly highway and motivated to remove my aging AHC. Does anyone have experience with Iron Man suspension kits? I want something that is comfortable on bumpy roads and wont rattle my truck too much. Also any great LC supsension mechanics around Eastern Ma?

Can't speak specifically to suspension work, but Wellesley Toyota is very familiar with all vintages of LCs. That's been my go-to place for my 100 and I see 80s, 40s ,and 60s on their lot all the time. As far as dealerships go, that would be my first stop.

Volsar Automotive in Medford also comes recommended by many on here. Though I can't say I've used them personally, I've sent a friend there (V8 4runner owner) and he had a great experience.

Volsar put my complete Old Man Emu lift on. I haven't had the Ironman, but they sound good. Definitely pay attention to matching the suspension to the weight. I have a very heavy spring because I have aftermarket bumpers, sliders, skids and drawers and was getting sag loaded for camping before. I don't actually think any conventional suspension will duplicate the plushness of AHC though.

Has anyone used Acton Toyota Service Center (MA) before and are they familiar enough with the 100 series (for major work beyond routine maintenance)?
I was searching for Toyota dealership service centers in the entire northeast and found this one to have the best reviews so far (2000+ reviews and 4.7 on Google, which is really good for a dealer service center). I hope they're as good as the review score says and not just handing out candies for good review type of shop 😂

Has anyone used Acton Toyota Service Center (MA) before and are they familiar enough with the 100 series (for major work beyond routine maintenance)?
I was searching for Toyota dealership service centers in the entire northeast and found this one to have the best reviews so far (2000+ reviews and 4.7 on Google, which is really good for a dealer service center). I hope they're as good as the review score says and not just handing out candies for good review type of shop 😂

Acton Toyota is my local dealer. I haven't found them to be anything special. I've quoted some jobs with them and they were always the most expensive. I go there to get my annual inspection sticker and that's about it. I never see any other LCs there (which isn't a surprise).

In MA, Wellesley Toyota probably services and sells the most LCs because the people who can afford to live there all can afford to buy $100K vehicles. :)

I've done most of my dealer work at Nashua Toyota - I've found the prices to be fair and the experience good. However, post Covid their prices have gone through the roof like everyone else. And the Sr. Tech that would work on my LC has left. IMHO, it's more about the tech than the dealership.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom