What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Covered up the gaping hole in the dash.

D24744E9-6698-457F-98E7-D036EB9678D7.jpeg

Covered up the gaping hole in the dash.

View attachment 1932372
That's where I'll be installing the early '90s Toyota Celica clock I'll be getting in the mail tomorrow. I already have a harness made up.

My '71 FJ40 build will be a resto-mod, with many changes from stock, but all Toyota parts where available. So the Celica clock would be OK.

That's where I'll be installing the early '90s Toyota Celica clock I'll be getting in the mail tomorrow. I already have a harness made up.

My '71 FJ40 build will be a resto-mod, with many changes from stock, but all Toyota parts where available. So the Celica clock would be OK.

This resto would have been done a long time ago if we weren’t shackled by stock appearance.

This resto would have been done a long time ago if we weren’t shackled by stock appearance.
I've got another non-Land Cruiser Toyota part coming in the mail today, a Supra throttle body bell crank assembly I'll adapt for my carburetor linkage. The way the '71 is set up the throttle cable will interfere with the '76 air cleaner I'll be using. I'll mimic the '73 FJ40 set-up, which is unique to the '73 model year - it's hard to find those kinds of parts. It's coming all the way from Akron, OH :).

Good luck with your restoration.

I put a new cheap battery in it, inflated the tires and started it for the first time in five years. Next up: Vacuum check, valve and timing adjustment. Oil Change, plugs and wires. Hopefully doing so will reveal what led to me parking it in the first place.

@Xylonmedia You might have coolant getting in the combustion chamber?

I thought so at first. I believe it is actually water that was standing in the exhuast. I ran it for 45 minutes today and even drove it around a little. The rusty water stopped entirely. I’ll be looking for signs of water when I change the oil/plugs etc next weekend.

Spent time with @POTATO LAUNCHER at his awesome shop in Amarillo. He did an auto transmission conversion on my wife’s 40 (yes she likes auto). It’s gonna be her DD. Th350/twin stick mod. He does great fab work. Glad we have another cool place to get lovin done on dem cruisers. He spent time teaching @cowgirl40 (my wife) and @Cowboy45 plus my other son Liam in the process.

8A937E2D-B6EB-481E-89CD-7D787A8A771E.jpeg

37C9E030-9BBC-4A8B-A7C3-8CFCF8BFF375.jpeg

9C6464DC-EF61-4A5F-B7A1-9FD0259B41F0.jpeg

B6AFEB5D-FFDD-49CD-8E0D-4AE2376339E0.jpeg

3CD7A2F6-4583-472D-9624-4F53C9EA53ED.jpeg

Some more pics

AAF5A1D8-920C-4255-8E9D-68BAD6ACB5DD.jpeg

8F9DE754-A3EB-43BD-B436-516E9CF10032.jpeg

FFA7779A-73E1-4CAE-ABFD-03096B8E8979.jpeg

2A57BA59-7361-432F-96B3-3344B633D0D3.jpeg

CE554821-9EDA-4ED6-B2F7-ED9ECC78FB10.jpeg

Finally got around to peeling the paint of the STPCHLD. I proved what I was guessing. An amazing surviving FJ40 with the only problems being what previous owners did to the truck. VERY little signs of any rust. Just look how incredibly clean the bottoms of the doors are!

blasted body parts.JPG
Door bottom barn.JPG
Dppr bottom front.JPG

Finally got around to peeling the paint of the STPCHLD. I proved what I was guessing. An amazing surviving FJ40 with the only problems being what previous owners did to the truck. VERY little signs of any rust. Just look how incredibly clean the bottoms of the doors are!

View attachment 1933109View attachment 1933110View attachment 1933111
How long did it take you to get the paint off of all the parts shown? And what set-up did you use? I'll be doing the same for my '71 FJ40 build, including the fairly clean 3/4 tub I bought in Northern California earlier this year. I was thinking of taking all the parts to my place in Nevada, where the tub is now, and getting everything done at once. I have an 80-gallon 175 psi two-stage compressor and a Craftsman nozzle and hose set-up, but it seems slow. Any tips or hints on equipment or technique would be appreciated. BTW, I'll be doing the blasting outdoors on my 3/4 acre desert lot, so if I use sand I don't have to worry about where it ends up, unless I want to recycle it.

I hired a local guy to blast everything on my gravel driveway. Hardly noticeable. One rain should do it.

He did the tub and everything you see in the first shot in a few hours. The entire truck was skimmed with bondo. He complained about how much longer it took but I was shocked at how fast it was going. He was using an Airman PDS375 trailer setup. The feed hose was easily 3". Big commercial setup. He's over 80 and asked if I wanted to buy his business... No thanks. (Said his best year he made over 400 grand. o_O)

Thanks for the info, I'll have to research some heavier duty blasting equipment, but the compressor I have is a good start.

^ Your shop reminds me of mine except way cleaner... 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom