What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man all you west coasters have it made for scenic shots. All me and my son did today in sorta boring CT was pull a big rock out of the middle of a garden bed. Yeah yeah I know, not the best use of s***ty straps but I rolled slow and kept adjusting the netting.

38B18543-F2E8-42CC-9B33-41E0766E3050.jpeg

95A90742-0DD8-4120-882B-AB5F26D95094.jpeg

8FCF7368-AAD8-45A3-B145-4F1DF3B32FB5.jpeg

That’s why the pioneers moved out west. They all heard how awesome it is out here.
Instead of buckboard wagons then it’s 60s wagons now.:rofl:
In an other 200 years we will have instant teleportation wagons.

In an other 200 years we will have instant teleportation wagons.
Yeah, right! Back when I was a kid watching The Jetsons, people were saying that we'd be in flying cars by now. The only flying car I know about is when my college roommate and I opened the door to our apartment late one night and saw some of our friends, looking in pretty bad shape - dirty, broken glasses, etc. Turns out they were driving pretty fast out on some desert roads between town and the Organ Mountains and next thing they knew they were airborne. They didn't know that another road had been cut perpendicular to the one they were on, and quite a bit lower. Well, they were able to get out of the car safely and walk through the desert to our apartment, which was right at the eastern edge of town. We were the closest place they knew of to get help.

Yeah, right! Back when I was a kid watching The Jetsons, people were saying that we'd be in flying cars by now. The only flying car I know about is when my college roommate and I opened the door to our apartment late one night and saw some of our friends, looking in pretty bad shape - dirty, broken glasses, etc. Turns out they were driving pretty fast out on some desert roads between town and the Organ Mountains and next thing they knew they were airborne. They didn't know that another road had been cut perpendicular to the one they were on, and quite a bit lower. Well, they were able to get out of the car safely and walk through the desert to our apartment, which was right at the eastern edge of town. We were the closest place they knew of to get help.
Sounds like a scene out of a back to the future film to me.

Mounted my midland cb to the dash with a little quick connect. It doesn’t interfere with anything and sits nicely in the holder.

034F5847-14AA-42F5-B9B0-5A10802F83D9.jpeg

Finally installed my new OEM rear view mirror. Original was sunbaked to a crumbly mess.

IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

Got the OEM one from @beno sometime back but just now got around to putting it on. While I was at it, I decided to re-work my overhead CB mount setup. I had done a quick and dirty overhead mount in preparation for a trip I was going on using the rear view mirror mount as a mounting point, but it just was not sturdy enough for my liking. I got a CB mount bracket designed for a J**p, and formed it to work in the Land Cruiser. Needed to flatten the end of the bracket to allow it to sit flush against the roof line.

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

I repainted it cause it got all scratched up while beating on it. I think it turned out good and its so much more sturdy than the previous setup.

IMG_4318.jpg

I sandwiched the bracket between the roof and the mirror using the mirror mounting screws for mounting the whole assembly. Worked nice. So now I have a new mirror so I can see the cars preparing to pass me, and a CB that is usable along with the visors. The old setup did not allow the visors to come down without hitting the radio. My wife would wrestle the visors seemingly in an effort to take the whole roof down while doing it. Now she can put them down without harming herself or my truck. Job done!!

I installed an old kaymar bumper on mine, as well as doing a quick retorque my wheel bearings.

819583A5-FA03-4D63-842D-1662A535B110.jpeg

People weren’t kidding about how frustrating replacing spring pins are. Attempted to do 4 at a club tech day....got only the fronts done despite sawzall, fire, an inductor, and lots of help. Luckily the shackles are already done.

Glad I have that to look forward to.... Any advice now that their done? I'm thinking start with penetrating oil now. Planning April/May time frame.

Glad I have that to look forward to.... Any advice now that their done? I'm thinking start with penetrating oil now. Planning April/May time frame.

The bolts weren’t so much the problem as the pin being glued to the rubber bushings. They were original. For the bolt, worst case is just cut it off.

For the bushings, drilling it out as much as possible, heat, pry bar on the cam shaped side. One person to pull and one to heat works well.

Getting the load on the spring balanced is crucial too. Jack stands on the frame on both sides then a jack under the axle to unload it. It’s probably a bit easier if you’re doing shackles at the same time and they’re disconnected. I had already done those so we didn’t and it wasn’t a huge deal. A prybar to bend the spring out of the mount to slip in the new bushings. One side we used a bottle jack between the frame and spring for a bit more leverage.

I installed an old kaymar bumper on mine, as well as doing a quick retorque my wheel bearings.

View attachment 1936171

For my money those Kaymar rear bumpers are the absolute best looking bumpers on a 60 series. Great addition. Awesome setup Alex. Anyone know where I can get my hands on one of these?

Edit: Seems like I saw somewhere recently where someone began importing these to the US again. Maybe cruiser outfitters? Anyone know?

Last edited:
Trail I wanted to do was closed less than 2 miles from the lake. Wanted to get some photos of the truck before I got her all dirty. Wasn't expecting snow still, oh well. Truck got muddy and this was the best of the group so far. Will go out again soon.

33588468478_bc7539b283_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom