FJ62 owner pining for FJ40 with questions about Florida vehicles on eBay. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I love the 40's, love them. I love my FJ62 and have learned a great deal but really want a 40. I look continuously on eBay. I have purchased 4 cars on eBay with much success but I knew what I was getting in to. I keep seeing the 40's pop up and invariably they are located in south FLA. All of them I have seen had no hint of a heater. Many of them look suspiciously clean and painted inside and out. Have you guys had any experience with these trucks? Are they really So American imports? Thanks for letting me troll.

Be very couscous, these have been questioned here before. I don't like that fact that 1, there is not heater, dash pads, and usually come equipped with drum front brakes. It would have to be a unique body style ei. FJ43, that would make me even consider buying from that market, fully knowing that it would be converted to US standards.

To start, you should look in the classified section on this site. You will probably get a more accurate description and build.

Look in the 'mud classifieds! Place an ad in Wanted. Be open to shipping from the west and southwest where rust is less of an issue. Unless you KNOW how to identify rust repairs, that original patina you may not be happy with will let you see the 40's life story.

Reach out to members to do some recon for you. Finding the right 40 is a matter of persistence. It's out there, you just have to find it.

Florida FJ40s on eBay are almost always South America imports brought in by car flippers.

Research much before you decide on one.

Thanks for the help fellas. Being SA imports heat is not a problem for them. I have seen all manner of garbage on eBay. One is on there now with a missing right rear shock. I can't believe they would even offer these up for sale.

................... One is on there now with a missing right rear shock. I can't believe............

Hijack: "Dang, interesting way to deal with the cruiser lean, eh?"....Hijack over.

Lipstick on a pig doesn't even come close for a lot of them.

Many of them look suspiciously clean and painted inside and out.

Very suspicious indeed. Check out this thread. Although it deals with a 70 series, the story is likely to be the same with many 40's coming from there. For Sale - 1993 Toyota 75 series project for sale ($16,850) or trade (truck & cash)

I'll second the "couscous" comment, LOL. Actually, my advice would be don't even think about buying one of those without having it thoroughly checked out either in person or by someone you can trust.

BTW, who needs a heater? You won't be driving the beast in snow and ice conditions, right?

Glad to see you over here! Check out BAT, they had a 40 sell recently for what I thought was pretty reasonable. It seems the ones that appeal to me dont bring the big dollars. I like the original ones with some patina. They also have a link that you can see what 40's have sold for in the past. That may give you some idea of the market. Keep looking!

I thought these were good buys:

Here is the link to sold 40's

You guys are awesome! Lots to look at and even more to think about.

BTW, who needs a heater? You won't be driving the beast in snow and ice conditions, right?
No don't plan to. I live in GA though and I'm unashamedly a true Southerner...I am cold at 50 degrees and the older I get the colder I get.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom