First Landcruiser - '67 FJ40 eBay crap shoot. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I've had a bunch of projects in the past, but never a LandCruiser. I found this on eBay as it was ending, threw in a bid, and ended up winning it. Have spent the past week reading everything I can find, and am pretty excited to get it home and have a look at it and see how I did. The seller says it's running on a temporary fuel can as the tank is rusty/dirty, and that it's unmolested and very clean underneath, but I've heard that before. I guess I'll find out if the sellers definition of 'clean' and mine line up whenever the truck can bring the thing from MS to CA. I only have a few pictures so far, but would love to hear what you think, and find out what you can see that might be incorrect (I did notice what appears to be a later hood). Based on that and inspecting it in person, will make a call on just how original and how nice I'll try to bring it back to.

FJ40 Engine 1.jpg

FJ40 Engine 2.jpg

FJ40 full.jpg

FJ40 nose.jpg

FJ40 Rear Left.jpg

Newer engine, driver door not aligned with body, windshield weatherstrip (and possibly windshield) in trouble, rear wheel wells cut out even too large to be covered with fender flares.

I didn't even notice the wheelwells, that's not good news. What engine do you figure it is? I thought it was pre-2F due to the oil fill, but wasn't able to figure much else out. It apparently still has the 3 speed column shift trans as well.

I don't know what year the engine is, all I know is it is not the stock 135 with one barrel carburetor- - -Mark will know for sure.

Wrong hood for a '67

I swear I never see these ending on eBay for a decent price. Have a link to the auction you won?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Toyota-Other-/153403143079?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

I'm not sure if it was a decent price or not to be honest, just affordable, looked like fun, and an easy enough project to take on in my less equipped rental garage while I'm working away from home. I suppose I'll know when I get a better look at it, but would love to hear what the verdict is here, if I got a decent deal, or got soaked.

What is the frame number ? That tells a lot.

Is that the same as the serial #? If so, FJ40-52114

Wrong hood for a '67

That was the one part I figured out. And I noticed it was probably a '67 based on the serial number, not a '66 as per the eBay listing. The paperwork from the seller indicates '67 as well.

And it doesn't look like this is happening. Seller vanished after the money was sent. Police seem pretty indifferent despite me having the guys real name, account info, pic of his cheque, etc. So, thanks for the hospitality but it doesn't look like I'll be in a FJ40 any time soon.

Wow!!! That really sucks! Sorry to hear that! Will you get your money back?

eBay apparently has buyer protection, offered through a 3rd party. We'll see how that plays out over the next couple months.

I noticed eBay removed the listing or something is wrong with the link. Will be curious how this third party handles it. If this insurance was provided by eBay I would not let them off the hook that easy. If this is a service offered thru them, they should handle it not you. I'm sure many here are curious how this works out. Bought a couple old cruisers thru eBay years ago and had no problems. Don't even remember any insurance being offered. Shows how the world has changed in the last fifteen years.

Carson, Do not wait for a couple months, contact your local police dept. and file a complaint, contact ebay on a separate computer and make certain you are actually with ebay. Contact your bank and have them put a hold on all funds if they can. I had this happen to me for 10k, it turns out that the seller sent me a link that took me outside of ebay and ebay refused any responsibility. The only way I got my money back was to trace the bank and have my bank contact them and notify them of fraud with a police report, thereby they freeze the transaction until it can be resolved. But you must file a police report and push your bank to freeze or reverse charges. Time is very important do not hesitate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom