Builds Red Dawn (60 converted 62 Build Thread w/ R2.8) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great build! Just read the whole thing. You have really thought through the details and executed them in outstanding fashion. Thinking about a backup camera for my truck right now - your posts are very helpful.

Would love to see you do the 2.8 Cummins swap. Seriously thinking about putting that motor in my 40 some day.

Cheers!
-Ed

Strange looking license plate you got there. ;)

Now you mentioned the r2.8 + a 6l80. I would like to know why you picked that transmission over say a tr6060 or a 6r80. I ask because I too am looking into the 6l80 transmission and am a bit stumped at which to choose.

The 6L80E has gear ratios that work with the R2.8 at freeway speeds. You could change the axle ratios and use a different transmission if desired. Plus there is already an adapter for the 6L80E, not sure if they are available for the others you listed.

I like this idea. Is there only one made? or are you producing these. I'd like to try it in my 60.

I might start selling these. Stay tuned once I get the kinks worked out.

By this point, I assume you all know how ridiculous I am about this truck. It's been a year or two now since the truck was painted, so it's time to do some paint correction and a sealant (wax) for the first time. This weekend, I got after it.

40447193553_b20ce378e8_b.jpg

40447191803_54b0a032e8_b.jpg

Wife doing some red touch-up

40447194003_8b991340fb_b.jpg

It turned out pretty good. I use Meguiars 105, 205 and their Synthetic 2.0 sealant (two coats - "Now Biff. Don't con me!"). The truck is smooth as glass and a deeper red than it was before. Got to get the RTT on and out on the trail to snap some good photos.

33537040108_acaeebe733_b.jpg

32470559477_2ebe4b7436_b.jpg

Looks fantastic. I have a paint guy coming to look at my white 62 today. One of the options up for discussion is a color change to Red. I have been wrestling with that that decision for a year. The big problem for me is the disparity between the outside color and the engine bay when you do a color change. Did your paint job address this? or are you planning on doing it when you swap the engine out?

Thanks for posting such awesome red truck pics and making my decision harder :flipoff2:

Looks fantastic. I have a paint guy coming to look at my white 62 today. One of the options up for discussion is a color change to Red. I have been wrestling with that that decision for a year. The big problem for me is the disparity between the outside color and the engine bay when you do a color change. Did your paint job address this? or are you planning on doing it when you swap the engine out?

Thanks for posting such awesome red truck pics and making my decision harder :flipoff2:

The truck was red to begin with so the engine bay isn’t really an issue. I might shoot it again when I do the swap, just to clean up the unused holes and such.

The truck came with a flexible, universal antenna. I didn't really enjoy it, so I went out and bought a FJ62 electric antenna from a yard. I finally put it in last night. It goes up and down, but not as far as it should. It hammers against some type of tension stop like it's bound up at this height and won't got down any further. Same goes for the up position. I don't think it's as high as it should go because the antenna sections aren't all the way extend. Is it worth it to open the assembly up and try to break it loose or is this a lost cause?

47443127781_7edd05569b_b.jpg

Anyone got an antenna cable (from stereo to mast) lying around? I'll need one as the universal antenna was all one piece.

The only good way to test that antenna would be to remove the entire assembly and remove the mast from the case and see how well it extends and collapses. At that point, you perhaps should just install a new mast. There is an overriding clutch in the motor assembly that clatters when engaged due to mast extension resistance.

The only good way to test that antenna would be to remove the entire assembly and remove the mast from the case and see how well it extends and collapses. At that point, you perhaps should just install a new mast. There is an overriding clutch in the motor assembly that clatters when engaged due to mast extension resistance.

This was my fear, thank you for the information.

Trail I wanted to do was closed less than 2 miles from the lake. We basically just went on a short drive on a dirty road. You win some you lose some.

33588468478_bc7539b283_b.jpg

32523262327_a2b2df7d62_b.jpg

47412040692_8ec0454b8e_b.jpg

32523262007_a8df44c977_b.jpg

47412040582_32a5887cdd_b.jpg

47412040462_d8295462bd_b.jpg

Photos look great. Sorry for the bad beta. Your gonna need to check that spot out when they open that gate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom