Weight of a 3/4 steel tub? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m almost done stripping my ‘81 BJ down to the frame. I hoisted the engine out two days ago and all I have left is the 3/4 tub to lift off. Does anybody know how heavy the stock steel tubs are? I’m trying to figure out the best way to lift it off. I don’t have a fork lift. My engine hoist is strong enough but I don’t think it has the reach in the 1.5 or 2 ton configuration.

I was thinking about using my engine hoist to lift the left side and put jack stands under it. Then the right side and jack stands there. The idea being to lift it up so I can roll the frame and axles out from under it. Then I could use the hoist to lower it to the ground. My old 3/4 tub is crap and needs to be recycled. There’s very little left that is original steel and what is original is pitted with rust.

Do any of you have thoughts on managing this process in a garage using normal tools?

Three person job. Or, engine hoist can pick it easily from the rear if rigged properly. It could be picked from the side, also.

Even with 1/2 tub being 1/8" steel, I lifted the whole tub off with engine hoist to centre of stock roll bar.

I’m almost done stripping my ‘81 BJ down to the frame. I hoisted the engine out two days ago and all I have left is the 3/4 tub to lift off. Does anybody know how heavy the stock steel tubs are? I’m trying to figure out the best way to lift it off. I don’t have a fork lift. My engine hoist is strong enough but I don’t think it has the reach in the 1.5 or 2 ton configuration.

I was thinking about using my engine hoist to lift the left side and put jack stands under it. Then the right side and jack stands there. The idea being to lift it up so I can roll the frame and axles out from under it. Then I could use the hoist to lower it to the ground. My old 3/4 tub is crap and needs to be recycled. There’s very little left that is original steel and what is original is pitted with rust.

Do any of you have thoughts on managing this process in a garage using normal tools?
I think they are about 300 to 400 lbs.

BJ42 tub weights 110 kg when all is removed.

It can't be too heavy, I unloaded the '71 FJ40 3/4 tub I bought in northern CA out of the back of a Budget rental truck by myself. Basically slid it out, then sequentially lowered the rear down stacks of chrome spoke wheels with old tires mounted on them, then continued with the front end. Also used a long 2X4 to act as a pry bar to keep it moving. It's sitting in the garage waiting for my next trip out to good 'ole Indian Springs, will slide it out onto the driveway then sandblast it. I will have to rig something up to tip it on its sides and turn it upside down. I think I'll use my engine hoist for that. I don't have to worry about sand getting everywhere, the entire property is pretty much sand, creosote, and an occasional cactus.

BTW, @erse has a great looking FJ62!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom