24 Hours of LEMONS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes I am, indeed!

I asked the TurboBrickers anyway, as a few have done it. They said it's deceivingly expensive, between transportation, entry fees, supplies, putting in a roll cage, etc.

But we are resourceful people.

Carolina Motorsports Park across the lake from me ... would be glad to heckle and provide sleeping space (via camper) for the weekend if I am around ....

I am in. I vote for strict budgeting and Do it ourselves. Scraps, junk yards, learning to weld, craigslist for spares, etc.

I grew up on a farm in the middle of NC and we had to macgyver everything. There are ways to get things built and we need to get creative.

Carolina Motorsports Park across the lake from me ... would be glad to heckle and provide sleeping space (via camper) for the weekend if I am around ....

OH MY GOSH YOU ALIVE

So at the suggestion of a friend I was about to sign up for welding classes at the local tech college. Guess I should probably go for it.

For a point of reference, I’m running a team in NH.
We’re looking at around $5k all in.
Not too bad split 5 ways, but 10x what ppl expect based on the $500 car idea.

LORD JESUS my friend wasn't lying, huh.

LORD JESUS my friend wasn't lying, huh.
No, car is 500. Team reg is 1300 (for 5). 3-500 for certified fire suppression. Roll cage material, fire suits, certified helmets, fuel.
Adds up quickly. You can economize, and by auto racing standards it’s cheap, but it’s not THAT cheap.

I see now why my friend Alan I mentioned yesterday had done a non-affiliated couple of races said he almost died... They weren't running with any of that. Haha

Watching....... this is a once a year ONSC topic... if a team actually comes around this year.... well i'd still just watch because i'm too far away now... LMAO

🍿

I will sell you an alltrac celica for 5k (still pretty cheap) but put $473 non running on the bill of sale ;)

Watching....... this is a once a year ONSC topic... if a team actually comes around this year.... well i'd still just watch because i'm too far away now... LMAO

🍿

I will sell you an alltrac celica for 5k (still pretty cheap) but put $473 non running on the bill of sale ;)
They have a provision in the rules that allows the organizers to purchase any vehicle registered for $500. Prevents people from getting (too) cheaty like that.

They have a provision in the rules that allows the organizers to purchase any vehicle registered for $500. Prevents people from getting (too) cheaty like that.

Damn... that may be a new rule?? I remember 5 or more years ago lots of people were buying late 80's f-bodys for $500 but then hopping the motor up because it was next to impossible for the organizers to realize if it was a stock V8 or not, without pulling the motor apart or strapping them on a dyno. Its pretty damn easy to get over 300HP from them before the motor starts to look different.

OH MY GOSH YOU ALIVE
Barely ;) Live on Lake Wateree and work in Lancaster, so I rarely have to go into Charlotte ...

$1000 per head is a good budget. The rules are simple you buy a beater and can spend no more than 500 clams, all in, in performance. Remove all glass, add racing seat, harness, cage, battery cutout. Might as well remove all interior at this point. Safety items i just mentioned and brakes are not part of the budget, but again no need for much besides decent fluid since the car in front of you will help you stop anyway. If you cheat with engine, etc, they will add negative laps to you and get shamed, so not worth it, besides the track is too short for it. In the past we tried everything we could think of to cheat, even using "rust paint" on parts. The judges know all the tricks and fine you. The fines are lessened if you offer alcohol sacrifices during tech inspection.

At CMP they do not do the full track (2.5miles, 14 turns), they only use the front section. HP is useless as you may have 100 cars "racing" in less than a mile long track, its more like LA traffic at rush hour. Lots of door to door racing, paint scraping banging and more banging in the melee. A small reliable car works great, with good gas mileage to prevent pit stops for gas.

Lots of people camp at CMP, or bring motor homes, tons of space for it, but will be a loud party all night. So that can be cheap. It can be a memorable event! There seems to always be some "douche in a mustang" that gets the "curse of the people" award, and that car will be crushed by a large backhoe. Organizers reserve the right to buy any car entered for $500, another way to keep cheating down.

Oh, don't forget you will need your own safety racing helmet, fire suite, gloves, shoes, and at least a neck donut. a Hans device is better but can be expensive. I have seen plenty of cars roll in the turns, so very possible.

Well s***, I got whole kegs to sacrifice.

Toyota Yaris??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom