rear bumperette orientation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just noticed something about the bumperettes- one side is straight, the other is curved. And they come in a matched pair. So, which goes to which side? Too late, of course, since I just touched up the paint on the bolts and don't think I need to swap it if it's wrong, but...

THE NEW "ORIGINAL" AFTERMARKET ARE STRAIGHT ON BOTH SIDES.

I see at least three things that says it's a 61. Never seen a RHD this early but would have to look at one of my LHD to see if the seat is far enough back that the fill neck is beside the seat not behind. The fill is the same on the hard top as soft top. FJ25 FST was further forward. Also the angle on the windshield hold downs on the hood seems off.

It was 1961.

I have also from beginning of the 70s. The same „curve is inside“
View attachment 1924960
View attachment 1924961

Was just simply saying that was 61 because of a few things I noticed and what looked odd to me. Can probably find literature for the for the FJ25 bumperettes being the same way. Because it is offset on the inside it makes it harder to install the rear step from 74 on when they shared the same bolts as the bumperettes.

Look at post #9. I believe they are correct. If it was NOT curved, a rear impact would translate more energy into the frame. The "curved" allows for the bumperette to crush easier absorbing the energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom