Another SAS and Lift post! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80 diffs are all 4.10. I daily mine on 35s with a 5-speed and 4.10s without issue. It is lighter than most, though. IMO, 35s are good compromise for a rig that sees a lot of highway miles but is wheeled hard. For a dedicated wheeler, 37s or bigger are the way to go.

With the narrow frame and higher offset front diff, you will either need to outboard your springs or french perches into the housing like this guy did: who's running a fj80 front axle, and who wants to? - Page 41 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Or you could bite the bullet and link it. Either way, be sure to get the axle very secure before welding or it will warp and leak.

All right everyone it looks like I'll be going with 488 and 35s. next I need your help on deciding on a spooled rear or an auto Locker in the rear? Thinking an ARB air Locker up front?

All right everyone it looks like I'll be going with 488 and 35s. next I need your help on deciding on a spooled rear or an auto Locker in the rear? Thinking an ARB air Locker up front?

I wouldn’t do a spooled/permanently locked rear if it’s not a designated toy. Go with an air locker in the rear or even better an electronic locker. You might be able to find an electronic locking diff from someone parting out a 98-2003 Tacoma prerunner or 4Runner Limited

5.29s and 35s on mine below with 22RE and W56. It was a good set up. I live in mountain country too.

6C8C0841-1E50-4A39-978F-9FC141A7B5DF.jpeg

Will my stock IFS hubs bolt up to the axle? I was reading on this exact thing last night and came up empty on the subject.

No, but we (Cruiser Outfitters) have an inner hub gear (chromoly) that allows one to use the IFS free-wheel hub body on a Toyota solid axle. Let us know if we can assist!

No, but we (Cruiser Outfitters) have an inner hub gear (chromoly) that allows one to use the IFS free-wheel hub body on a Toyota solid axle. Let us know if we can assist!

That's actually really cool. 🆒

Yes, but you will need a conversion hub gear. Look for one that allows you to use a IFS hub on a SA mini truck axle. Then it'll bolt on.
Looks like Cruiser Outfitters noted this above
Will my stock IFS hubs bolt up to the axle? I was reading on this exact thing last night and came up empty on the subject.

I wouldn't waste my time with 4.88's and 35's. Someday you'll want bigger tires and you'll be glad you went 5.29's , and if you don't then you won't know the difference.

Lunchbox, E-Locker, Full Detroit or ARB in rear. You won't enjoy the spool, and a lunchbox isn't much more money.

Do NOT put a spool in it. They suck to drive both on the road and on the trail. Get something that unlocks so that you can turn.

Turning is sooooo overrated! :flipoff2:

Anyone ever try one of those Grizzly auto lockers? Thinking about going that route for my rear. I think I have decided on an ARB up front ohhhh how I love ordering parts!

Yeah, ordering is fun. Paying for them, not so much!

Anyone ever try one of those Grizzly auto lockers? Thinking about going that route for my rear. I think I have decided on an ARB up front ohhhh how I love ordering parts!

Spend the money and get the ARB for the rear with a full time locker up front. My old Jeep had a LSD in the rear with a Aussie lunchbox locker up front. Couldn’t even tell the locker was in the front but you could hear it.

If you are driving trails with grippy rock, a lunchbox locker will get old.
I went to moab with a Spartan locker up front and was doing 5 point turns in spots where others were cruising through. After blowing a birf due to that locker, I went to Harrop elockers.

thanks everyone right now in my current setup I'm running Spartan lockers in the front and rear and really have no complaints other than the popping when taking sharp turns and stuff of that nature. In my previous rig I was running a spool to rear and the only thing I didn't like about that was how quick I was eating up tires and how easily it was to spin out during a light snow storm

I cannot recommend a lunch-box type locker. I have one in the rear of my FJ40 and I hate it. The electric in the front rocks.

I run open difs since I’m awesome.

Patch has a Detroit in the rear and a Lock-Right up front, or did when I sold it. I hated that Detroit until I got it into dirt, then I didn't notice it. As soon as I was back on pavement I went back to hating it. In ~125k miles I had to bush the side gear bores in the case once and outright replace it a second time.
The 4rnnr got ARB's because of this.

My buddy runs a Grizzly locker and it is on par with a Detroit. Personally I would run ARB's if you have the coin. I don't prefer Harrop lockers. (You can watch some videos to see why.) I never had any issues with lunchbox lockers, but they do take some getting used to.

WhT don’t you like about harrops? Link to said videos?

WhT don’t you like about harrops? Link to said videos?

Sorry, I don't have any links.

If you have them locked and change directions (forward to reverse or vice versa) they can unlock momentarily than relock. I would have no problem running on in the front of my wife's 5th gen, but I would want something more positive in my wheeler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom