The life and times of my 1987 Toyota Pickup - KLF Special (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw it was snowing in Vegas too. Global warming??

Very nice truck and a good story to go with it. I live in Las Cruces, so if you’re ever down this way again let me know

Thanks man appreciate it! If I ever do find myself there I’ll be sure to reach out and we can hit a couple trails!
🍺:cheers:

I live in Las Cruces.

Yet your location says Texas. Whoops. There goes the whole witness protection thingy...

So this weekend was a good one for the Toyota. Friday night I was going to the grocery store and saw a familiar face - my old YJ! Got to talk to the guy who bought it and he absolutely loves it. He's done some great work to it and he even let me drive it. The nostalgia factor was pretty high I gotta admit. He's a master tech with Lexus and was absolutely in love with the Toyota. Here she is with her predecessor:

v6t0C5.jpg

I've also been going back and forth with this guy on a camper shell for the truck. I've been wanting one since I bought it and I've been looking for one that snugs up really nicely. I finally found the one and even though the paint is in rough shape it's actually a really nice shell. It's off of a 1991 Pickup extended cab. Talked to him and was able to score this thing for $50 with the keys too! It is missing one of the rear windows and needs a paint job but other than that is exactly what I was looking for. Plus the truck still fits in the shop even with the tapered back, so I'm pretty pleased. I did have to pressure wash the hell out of it though...the thing smelled like dog piss since it was in his backyard and well, I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

fjMWeI.jpg

gQJEFN.jpg
heUi6w.jpg

Aside from running a couple errands and delivering a dirt bike to my friends house, that's all the love the truck got this weekend. I'm going to be getting a piece of glass cut for the camper shell this week so next weekend I can sand it and spray it. I think I'm going to paint it black again but I'm thinking about painting it red to match the truck...what do you guys think?

ohb4WL.jpg
MKJkMM.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good. I might consider color matching the cap.

Thanks gnob! I'm definitely considering it, but I think the little strip of the rhino lining underneath may throw it off.

Decisions, decisions.

Looks nice, I’m not really a camper type of guy but that would looks really good with your setup. I’d repaint the camper black. Maybe you might consider the darker gray color that’s on your stickers. To me itll offsets to much red. Either way it looks good.

I'll weigh in that I'm not a fan, but I can understand how useful it would be to have sometimes. Less worries about stuff in the bed getting swiped. I would also go for a dark grey paint job, not matching red.

I'll weigh in that I'm not a fan, but I can understand how useful it would be to have sometimes. Less worries about stuff in the bed getting swiped. I would also go for a dark grey paint job, not matching red.

I was really hoping to find one that was not as tall but for $50 I couldn't pass it up. It kind of gives me a sense of security because I was always worried about that box being swiped from the back of the truck and it's nice to be able to lock my camping gear and stuff in it.

Plus now I can finally get the girlfriend to come camp with me! 🤣

Plus now I can finally get the girlfriend to come camp with me! 🤣

Well... if that's what it takes. But it would suck to sleep in the back of that thing. Too short! And how are you gonna open the tailgate from inside?

I've spent a couple of nights in that driver's seat. Not good either, but sometimes you just gotta do it.

Well... if that's what it takes. But it would suck to sleep in the back of that thing. Too short! And how are you gonna open the tailgate from inside?

I've spent a couple of nights in that driver's seat. Not good either, but sometimes you just gotta do it.

Yeah it's a little short with the box...I would probably move the box outside if it came to it. I personally have no problem with a sleeping bag on the ground by the fire, but the girlfriend wants to be insulated and cozy. And to open the tailgate you just twist the inside of the handle, pop the hatch up and then I can reach out and unlock the tailgate.

Ouch! I'm sure those were some fun memories. I've done it before too, not optimal, but it works. I think it'll look a lot better when it's painted and if I end up not liking it or whatever I can just take it off and store it in the shop and put it on when I need it.

Dark grey, black, white, tan...I painted mine tan and liked it pretty well

Although probably not that helpful, this is what my stock 2WD looks like with a grey color-matched Gem Top.

:steer:

When are you going to do a write up on this thing? It’s so clean man.

Thanks!

I will definitely start a write-up, but I will probably hold off until late spring when I have the time. The truck is mostly mechanically original, so it is starting to show its age (i.e. oil leaks). The truck was always in the family and originally owned by my great-grandmother (believe it or not). It now has a whopping...... 94,500 miles on it.

It is cool seeing KLF's truck stay in the MUD family!

:steer:

I think I’d go for matching the stripes too. Black + Tucson = HOT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom