TPMS notes and easy DIY (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sedalia

SILVER Star
Threads
Here are my notes for TPMS that I hope will save someone from searching and reading long threads. Let me know if I got something wrong. Is there a curated section/sticky, wiki, or index for consolidated tech write-ups?

Quick Facts

1. TPMS are radio signal transmitters, like RFID, that replace a normal valve stem of a wheel. They may have rubber stems that “snap” into place or have metal stems and screw collar/nut.

2. Land Cruiser reads 315Mhz. Some vehicles read 433Mhz so the sensors used other vehicles may not work.

3. Some wheels require that TPMS sensors are either mounted at an angle or straight so OEM sensors may not fit other wheels and vice-versa.

4. OEM and OEM replacement sensors are pre-programmed with a unique ID. Obviously necessary so cars do not mistake TPMS signals from other nearby cars.

5. The sensor ID is printed on the TPMS device; the part that is inside the tire. The ID can be read remotely with a device specifically made for this purpose.

6. The sensor IDs must be registered with the car. This is accomplished as DIY with TechStream software+cable or another vehicle programming device.

7. Follow the "Initializing Tire Pressure Warning System" instructions found in the Owners Manual to reset the tire location after mounting or rotating, so the display will show you which TPMS ID is associated with each wheel position (left-front, spare, etc)

Changing wheels

1. If you need to replace your OEM wheels, you can usually just remove the OEM TPMS sensor from the old wheels and install them on the new wheels. This may not work if the new wheel requires an angled sensor.

2. You can buy new OEM sensors or buy aftermarket pre-programmed sensors. Tire stores should always have the latter in stock.

3. If new sensors, the vehicle will need to be programmed with the new IDs.

Multiple wheels sets

1. It is nice to have a second set of mounted wheels so, for example, you can quickly remove your pavement-friendly wheels and replace them with mud terrains for the weekend, or vice-versa for a road trip. Very fast procedure with a floor jack and impact wrench, especially if you always keep the mud terrain as the spare tire, assuming it is the same diameter as the street tires.

2. The options for the 2nd set are:

a. No TPMS in those wheels. Tire shops may not do this, due to legal and other liability, unless you bring them off the vehicle. No TPMS means the car will display a permanent warning and, of course, not give you any air pressure data.​

b. Get another set of pre-programmed TPMS sensors for the 2nd set. Then you will need to use TechStream or another device to change the IDs in the car’s computer every time you swap wheel sets. This adds a few minutes to the process, assuming your programming device is ready. Some vehicles can retain memory of multiple TPMS sets, but I am unaware of any Land Cruiser vintage that can do this.​

c. “Clone” the sensors from the first set so that you no longer have the use TechStream, or whatever, to re-register the TPMS IDs with the car every time you change a wheel or wheel set. This is accomplished by purchasing programmable sensors, which can be programmed to the same IDs as the other wheel set(s). The car does not know the difference between the original and clone TPMS sensor. You will get faulty readings and probably errors if the car detects two sensors with the same ID, e.g., if you park near the clones or you mount two wheels with the same ID on the car.​

How to clone TPMS

You can simply have a tire shop do this for you. The service will be cheap or free. The cost of the sensors may vary, but probably not too expensive so I doubt DIY will save you much money, but I will explain how I do it with the equipment I use.

1. The cheapest, mainstream, programmable sensors I found are the single-frequency Autel MX-sensor. They make dual frequency models, but I only need 315Mhz for the TLC. They have a swivel mount that can be mounted on just about any wheel angle. Mine have a metal stem, which is sturdy and looks nice, although I suppose it might break more easily than a rubber stem? I only have this brand and type of TPMS, along with my set of OEM. They cost +/-$30 each.

2. There are various TPMS readers and programming devices that work with Autels, so you can be pretty sure any tire shop can service them. Basic TPMS read/program devices usually cost around $150+, but the shops use a more expensive type that can also register the TPMS IDs with the vehicle.

3. I use the Autel MaxiTPMS Pad, which of course I call the maxipad. It is only $70 but requires a PC. I have an old laptop dedicated to diagnostics. It works great. No batteries or buttons to fuss with. Only a little pad and a USB cable. All it does is read TPMS IDs and data and programs new sensors. It is so simple and intuitive that I will not bother with instructions. You can literally read and clone with a couple of mouse clicks.

a. You must download the software from the Autel website to get the latest version. The software will also automatically update the pad’s firmware, if required.​

b. The pad is designed to be used on the bench, placing the unmounted TPMS sensors on pad for reading and programming. You can also hold the pad to the sidewall near the TPMS on a mounted tire, which is what I do to read OEM IDs.​

Here is a photo of my maxipad:

upload_2019-1-31_10-30-3.png

Last edited:
Great write up. In addition, people should keep in mind that Discount Tire will program your TPMS sensors for free. I didn't buy tires there and go in twice a year after I swap my winter/summer sets. They come out to your car and do it quickly, usually only takes 5 inutes. I'll likely purchase new tires from them because I appreciate them doing this for me. If you have the registration number off of each TPMS sensor, you can program the second set using Carista ($20 on Amazon with 30 day trial). The key is to plug in and run a TPMS sensor first to get the registration number off of your original set and write them down/screen shot the numbers and keep them safe. When you put the second set of wheels on, when you go into Carista it will still show the original numbers, which you replace with the registration numbers from the second sset. I one day license is $10, or you can request to join a beta (just tell them you own a beta eligible vehicle :) ). You can always return the Carista to Amazon under their return window...

Finally, as far as Techstream goes, I have the correct aftermarket cable that is supposed to read and write, and have tried 3 different versions of the software with a laptop dedicated for this purpose running Windows XP. Techstream works for nearly everything except the TPMS (which is why I purchased it in the first place). None will program the sensors in my car. So your mileage may vary with the aftermarket techstream cable/software. So if you want Techstream for TPMS sensors, I will tell you that Carista is a much easier option for the LC.

Does anyone know if the TPMS sensors that are in the 2016+ wheels are compatible with Rock Warriors? (thinking angled versus non-angled and the rock warrior thread doesn't mention it)

Does anyone know if the TPMS sensors that are in the 2016+ wheels are compatible with Rock Warriors? (thinking angled versus non-angled and the rock warrior thread doesn't mention it)

Yes they will Sir.

Nice write-up.

"Some vehicles can retain memory of multiple TPMS sets, but I am unaware of any Land Cruiser vintage that can do this."

For what its worth, 2006-2007 100 Series LCs and LX470s can do this. They have a button in the glove compartment to switch between two sets of tires/wheels.

small issue.
Discount tire done and screwed up the cloning on my new set of sensors and assigned the same ID to 2 of the new sensors.

Is there a way to retrieve a list of the currently programmed sensors on the rig without having to drag all 4 original wheels to the store?

small issue.
Discount tire done and screwed up the cloning on my new set of sensors and assigned the same ID to 2 of the new sensors.

Is there a way to retrieve a list of the currently programmed sensors on the rig without having to drag all 4 original wheels to the store?

I own this: Carista

It is an OBD2 device that works with an app on your phone - either iOS or Android. If you want to use it beyond the 1-month free trial, yuou need a subscription ($40/yerar?).

This device will show you the currently registered TPMS ID's in your vehicle and allow you to re-program them to new ID's if you want to.

HTH

thinking through this.. using Carista you could manipulate tire pressure until you figure out which clone is incorrect.. and which original wheel needs to be brought back to the tire shop. You could also get the correct code via Carista for properly cloning that sensor, but I’ve found some shops don’t understand their equipment well enough to manually type one in for programming. Without the ability to read the rfid directly into their programmer they seem lost.

Also you can get a 1-week pro pass to activate TPMS for $10. Obviously the $40 is more cost effective but it depends on how often you’ll need the pro features.

Last edited:
I actually own a Carista module and it was able to pull the IDs exactly how I had hoped. I guess I didn’t find the TPMS menu when I played with it last.

C276F881-B9B7-41C6-B6C1-8DAE8435B82F.png

thinking through this.. using Carista you could manipulate tire pressure until you figure out which clone is incorrect.. and which original wheel needs to be brought back to the tire shop. You could also get the correct code via Carista for properly cloning that sensor, but I’ve found some shops don’t understand their equipment well enough to manually type one in for programming. Without the ability to read the rfid directly into their programmer they seem lost.

Also you can get a 1-week pro pass to activate TPMS for $10. Obviously the $40 is more cost effective but it depends on how often you’ll need the pro features.

Crap, you’re right. I assumed that they would be able to use the list to manually type in the incorrect ID; however, even if they can do that, the spare tire ID will cause confusion. They won’t know which is the spare and risk duplicating the wrong one.

Bear with me here but I think it can be done..

With the list above you can see which ID corresponds to which slot on the dash. With that info you can start messing with tire pressure on each one to figure out which ID goes with which original wheel. Now remove those wheels and isolate them from the truck, and do the same for your new set. This should let you figure out which 2 have the same ID.. as well as which sensor ID was left out of the cloning process.

Then take your left-out wheel with you to the shop, point at one of the duplicate clones, and have them transfer the original left-out ID to that duplicate, and all should be good.

Also note that some people have to store their original wheels/tires quite far away from the truck to keep them from interfering with the clones.

All of this, carista's ability to easily input TPMS IDs, and the superior build quality of original sensors is why I stuck with those when I got my Rock Warriors. Denso boxed originals were about $38 each on amazon and I know they'll probably work for a decade.. Not that you need to switch out, but for future reference.

if the positions in the dash correspond to this list, then that's easy. My spare is always around 50psi while the 4 corners are 36.

So i just need to label #2 as my spare, and then tell the shop to make sure the 4 corners get only 1 of the remaining IDs.

Thanks!

Sedalia, thank you for this super nice write up. I would like to share my experience so others know what to expect from tire shops.

I have a problem finding a local place to do the clone. I went to the local Les Schwab, Discount Tire, Costco and Good Year and explained to them that I have new rims without pressure modules and would like to get new cloneable modules installed where we would use the ID from each of the current wheel modules on the new modules. Each of these places stated they have no idea what cloneable means and asked if I meant having the vehicle relearn the modules. I called a Discount Tire out of the area and they immediately knew what I wanted to do and said that they could clone them.
For me, looks like I am going to buy the servicing equipment. This will save trips to shops and hopefully I can avoid dealer/service shop damages (different issue).

Last edited:
I have a problem finding a local place to do the clone. I went to the local Les Schwab, Discount Tire, Costco and Good Year and explained to them that I have new rims without pressure modules and would like to get new cloneable modules installed where we would use the ID from each of the current wheel modules on the new modules. Each of these places stated they have no idea what cloneable means and asked if I meant having the vehicle relearn the modules.

I had the same experience - no one had a clue. Bought the equipment I needed off Amazon and did it myself.

Sedalia, thank you for this super nice write up. I would like to share my experience so others know what to expect from tire shops.

I have a problem finding a local place to do the clone. I went to the local Les Schwab, Discount Tire, Costco and Good Year and explained to them that I have new rims without pressure modules and would like to get new cloneable modules installed where we would use the ID from each of the current wheel modules on the new modules. Each of these places stated they have no idea what cloneable means and asked if I meant having the vehicle relearn the modules. I called a Discount Tire out of the area and they immediately knew what I wanted to do and said that they could clone them.
For me, looks like I am going to buy the servicing equipment. This will save trips to shops and hopefully I can avoid dealer/service shop damages (different issue).
I had the same problem, Lexus couldn't even do it. Got a scanner off amazon and used the carista app. Took me 10 min to fix my problem.

I wasn't cloning, but programming new sensors to the LX.

I bought a second set of 5 wheels for snow tires and a set of tpms from TPMS.com for my 2018 LC200: Toyota Land Cruiser OE Pacific TPMS Sensor 42607-48010 315MHz. I did not write down the sensor id numbers of the tpms before they were installed. I put these on and the tire pressure values are not reading on the dash screen, but the yellow low pressure light is not on.

Can I still use a Carista to make the LC read and display the tire pressure on the second set of wheels? The original wheels are in another building 50 feet away, presumably out of range. The original wheel tpms were working as expected.

It took what seemed like quite a while for my truck to start throwing errors over the new sensor IDs not being programmed it, but it did happen.

At this point you’ll either need a good tire/wheel tech that knows how to read the codes remotely with a scanner, or to open each tire to get the codes. My experience at discount was that the tech couldn’t get my new sensors to read on his scanner. The guy at toyota just plugged in the codes I had written down and it worked.

Carista is only useful if you already know the codes that need to be programmed into the vehicle TPMS brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom