LC bleeding out at the Kum & Go (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering why I wasn't getting any heat this morning, so I kept an eye on the temperature gauge. Sure enough, it started climbing when I hit Powers. Pulled into the Kum & Go at Dublin and got out to find my antifreeze pouring out of the cat guard. I can't see it, but from the location, I'm guessing the hardline back to the rear heater.

Any suggestions while I wait for AAA?

I'd say the rubber hoses for the rear heat as they are right above the cat. Its not serviceable via Toyota, but I have replaced them on a few 80's. If you have the tools and an extra section of hose you can bypass the rear heat up against the firewall too. With AAA coming prob not worth the time though.

Bummer! That's a good guess, or the notorious PHH.

PHH is on the other side, on the engine. This is right below the front passenger seat.

It's home, I'll dig in this weekend. I guess I'm out for Shubarth :(

IMG_20190117_085730.jpg

IMG_20190117_094147.jpg

Last edited:

Last edited:
Bummer - I saw you at the Kum & Go the morning as I was driving south on Powers. Best of luck and hope you get it fixed reasonable quickly and inexpensively.

Hope you dodged that massive speed trap they were running when I left - 2 or 3 unmarked cars and probably 8-10 motorcycles.

Waze is your friend, they’re still there between Woodmen and Dublin.

Yea, I turned on Waze when I saw it leaving in the tow truck - it seemed like I was the first to report it. About half of those MC cops were having coffee at the Kum & Go when I got there.

Anyway, found a good thread with part numbers: Overflow Bottle always low
Just ordered the lower hardlines so I can get it done this weekend.

Last edited:
I'd say the rubber hoses for the rear heat as they are right above the cat. Its not serviceable via Toyota, but I have replaced them on a few 80's. If you have the tools and an extra section of hose you can bypass the rear heat up against the firewall too. With AAA coming prob not worth the time though.

You know, I thought about limping it home ... or trying to McGuyver it. Then thought, damnit, I pay for AAA for a reason!

Last edited:
oh man, what a bummer!! When I first started reading I was thinking HG...

At least it is most likely a pretty easy fix. It might even be a soft line.

oh man, what a bummer!! When I first started reading I was thinking HG...

At least it is most likely a pretty easy fix. It might even be a soft line.

It seems that the rear soft lines are crimped to the hard lines and can't be easily replaced by themselves - probably what lc4life meant by "not serviceable". There are some soft lines upstream that I'll be replacing while everything is apart.

So got the lines replaced. Leak was in the hard lines. Cracked along the top and bottom in the corner. The old lines were brass - new one is steel. Soft lines were in remarkably good condition for 26 years old. Replaced them anyway.

Filled it up - took nearly 2 gallons, which is about half the capacity. Started up and no leaks :bounce2: but no heat from front or rear either :bang: I let it idle about 15 minutes, revving to about 2k and guage indicated it was up to temp. So I'm guessing there's air trapped in the system somewhere. I'll check the level again in the morning when it's cooled off. Any suggestions?

IMG_20190120_113841.jpg
IMG_20190120_192331.jpg
IMG_20190120_192354.jpg

Put it nose up on a hill this morning and ran it for awhile with the radiator cap off, and now I have heat! Took maybe another quart of coolant.
IMG_20190121_073557.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom