CB for trail rides (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

James Bentley

SILVER Star
Threads
For those of you that have clubs or trail rides that do use CB, what make/model CB radio are you using?
I am a licensed General HAM operator with many radios, but am finding the "lowest common denominator" to be CB.
I don't have a CB yet and would like to keep the radio purchase to around $100 bucks.
So far, I am looking at either the Cobra C75 WXST or the Midland 75-822.
Main push for CB is to participate in "Cruise Moab"
VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS | Cruise Moab
Thoughts or insights appreciated.

Uniden 510 or whatever the cheapie is. Works as well as any cb and is Moab approved :thumb:

Last edited:
I don't recommend the Cobra 75. Sounds like a good idea to have everything in one hand, but in reality the speaker is just way too small.

Years ago I had the Cobra 75, speaker was lame so I replaced it with another Cobra 75. In short order I again had the same problem.

Best to get a dash mounted unit.

Midland 75-822 here, don't use it much, most of my buddies are on 2m. Combine it with a mag mount cb antenna (don't forget to tune it!) and you'll have an easy to remove, still reasonably capable CB. Sound is not super great, but sufficient even for a middle aged dude like me. You can always hang the mic on your coat or seat belt if you want to hear it better.

I have cb's in both my trucks just for the reason you mention. Don't use them very often, but they are handy when it's the LCD. Since all cb radios are limited by the FCC to only 4 watts, there isn't a huge difference between most of them. I did find like @John McVicker that the itty bitty speaker in the Cobra 75 was not useful to my old ears, so I plumbed the speaker output into the aux port of that truck's stereo.

In my FJ40, which is less shielded and makes more electrical noise, I tried a dash-mounted Cobra (29 I think?) and I could not get rid of the alternator/ignition whine, even with filters and bonding (grounding) the exhaust to the frame and etc. I finally changed it out for a Uniden, and got rid of most of the noise - so from this experience, it may be that Uniden radios are better shielded than Cobra, hard to tell from just one data point.

The all-in-one mic types have a tendency to fail in the stress areas of the cord. Some very tiny wires in there thatcan't seem to handle all the pulling and bending. Usual fail is within one/two inches of the mic.

The Uniden 520xl (or 510) has been solid for me - had one in a cruiser since '95-ish, never a problem. Same radio is still working great... if any cb can be considered "working great" :D

Main push for CB is to participate in "Cruise Moab"
VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS | Cruise Moab
I bought a Midland 75-822 for exactly that reason. At CM inspection they have you turn it on and broadcast. FWIW, that was the last time I used that radio, but I keep it handy for event requirements.
A CB radio is just short of useless in areas like Moab, and everyone local to the area uses ham. The entire time I was at the event we were on 2M.

The Undien 510 is a surprisingly good radio for $34 bucks on amazon. I recently bought one to replace my long-serving Uniden XL (great radio)

well, it appears that I may be able to get everything (CB, Antenna w/cable and SWR meter) for right at $100 bucks. The Uniden 520 or 510 look small and reasonable to get "CB" in the LX. Thank you all!

I don't recommend the Cobra 75. ...
There's a Cobra 75 in the bikini-topped FJ40 - inevitably, it ends up with the speaker facing down into the seat. External speaker helps quite a bit on the trail. On the freeway, it's pretty much hopeless in any case.

On our other trucks, Uniden (510/520, whichever one was on sale) radio + Firestik antenna setups work well for truck-to-truck stuff on trail rides, and we are usually close to one another, in case there's spotting needed.

My 50W 2m radios in the K5 or the '93 80 are a different kettle of fish.

And sometimes I wish 4x4 had gone to GMRS instead of 2m.

Midland 75-822 and a 4 ft fire stick on a quick connect. Fits in the glove box easily. I leave the antenna up as a gauge for seeing if i can fit in parking garages.

In b4 ham vs cb

I use a Uniden 520xl
No debate. Run both. Lol

You still see a lot of trucks( seeing a brand new off the lot 2019 chevy running around with a old school CB whip is funny) running around here with CB antenna's on them. A lot of hunters and whatnot still use them. Now, do they have them on or not is a good question but it can't hurt to have it just in case and they are cheap.
I'm planning on running both a basic CB and a 2m/440cm when I get the cruiser done. I figure the Sub 100 cost of a CB is cheap insurance.

No debate. Run both. Lol

You still see a lot of trucks( seeing a brand new off the lot 2019 chevy running around with a old school CB whip is funny) running around here with CB antenna's on them. A lot of hunters and whatnot still use them. Now, do they have them on or not is a good question but it can't hurt to have it just in case and they are cheap.
I'm planning on running both a basic CB and a 2m/440cm when I get the cruiser done. I figure the Sub 100 cost of a CB is cheap insurance.

I think anyone should run whatever the people they go out with is. Arguing about which is better is silly in my opinion because I’ve been out on runs with CBs with issues, I’ve been out with ham guys with issues, and I’ve been out with guys who use two-way walkie talkies with issues.

i like my cobra 75 WX ST

A CB radio is just short of useless in areas like Moab, and everyone local to the area uses ham. The entire time I was at the event we were on 2M.

So, you're in fact saying that if one wanted radio peace-and-quiet on the Moab trails, and not listen to everyone else's chatter on the radio, CB would be the perfect solution? :)

So, you're in fact saying that if one wanted radio peace-and-quiet on the Moab trails, and not listen to everyone else's chatter on the radio, CB would be the perfect solution? :)
Or you could do what I do when I'm on the trail with @woytovich. Just turn the volume down.

I think anyone should run whatever the people they go out with is. Arguing about which is better is silly in my opinion because I’ve been out on runs with CBs with issues, I’ve been out with ham guys with issues, and I’ve been out with guys who use two-way walkie talkies with issues.

Half the time I wish people would bother with even a CB anymore. Seems like too many folks are going up into the mountains here with only a cellphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom