What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just south of cocos corner baja california
IMG-3726.jpg

Last edited:
Renewed the registration on the 80 this morning. Was pretty happy with the emissions numbers for a 24 yr old rig with 267K miles..
Blowing zeroes on CO and 6 and 4 on HC's. I love going to the shop that does the testing and see their reaction first to the number of miles on the truck and then have the tech say something like what the guy this morning said; "this thing purrs smoother than two year old cars that come through here."

80 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Renewed the registration on the 80 this morning. Was pretty happy with the emissions numbers for a 24 yr old rig with 267K miles..
Blowing zeroes on CO and 6 and 4 on HC's. I love going to the shop that does the testing and see their reaction first to the number of miles on the truck and then have the tech say something like what the guy this morning said; "this thing purrs smoother than two year old cars that come through here."

Wheel/tire combo look clean man!

Last picture I got of the 80 before the new owner left. Took a day trip to Charleston to buy a 03 Tundra, then off to Jacksonville to enjoy the beach. I will miss the Land Cruiser community greatly but I had to make an adult decision. Will definitely own another 80 one day
2B598D56-41A7-4984-B1C7-F0DF3E0FDC1A.jpeg

9A00A918-1E6A-4643-B513-8ED75EA7F587.jpeg

9A021392-814B-4B42-9889-4A616C681D22.jpeg

Last picture I got of the 80 before the new owner left. Took a day trip to Charleston to buy a 03 Tundra, then off to Jacksonville to enjoy the beach. I will miss the Land Cruiser community greatly but I had to make an adult decision. Will definitely own another 80 one dayView attachment 1882115
View attachment 1882113
View attachment 1882114

Man that's a clean,good looking V8 Tundra! Love the V8 in my 06 4runner...Change the timing belt every 100k and it will run forever.

Good stuff. Remember doing mine in the summer..The tech was amazed at how low the numbers were. His comment was it being like it had just left the showroom in 1997.

The MUD paranoia is real:deadhorse:

Just don't let it overheat....More high mileage rigs with original headgasket then not. Run it cool, maintain it and don't worry about it.

Consider me paranoid. I just helped a buddy replace HG on his 97 with less than 170k miles. It had a big failure at the #6 fire ring. That's the second 97 I've worked on and I had to do my 94 several years back.

I bought a set (of 5) of these today, cleaned them up and realized what I thought they were - Bradley V's, but they're 16x6.5 with a -5 offset, so I assume they'll never comfortably fit on my flared 80.

49897975_10161284574330147_8828839437715636224_n.jpg

I installed the Delt ceiling brackets with a shelf from the container store. I wanted to do something a little different and since my interior is tan I purchased some tan camo Plasti Dip. Thanks again Mickey for the great idea on the Delta brackets!

View attachment 1878145

View attachment 1878147

Link to purchase said brackets please. Nvm ... I tracked them down

Last edited:
Yesterday I drive past a residential construction site and saw an Isuzu NPR stuck up to his rear axle in mud. Pulled in and asked if he wanted a tug. The Cruiser pulled him out like it was nothing! (No pics, sorry)

I love this old machine.
EAA4C244-8DC9-4038-855E-2B0E0E7864D0.jpeg

More baselining on the White Cruiser. Greased the drive shafts and u-joints. Front axle seals are done, knuckle rebuild required. Need to limp it through as-is for a few months until I'm done processing wood for next winter so I decided to at least change the front diff fluid ... puke. Foamy, green, syrupy mess.
20190117_121316[1].jpg

Figured while it was up on the ramps I should put the factory skid plate back on. Not sure it does a whole lot, but an engineer put it there for some reason, plus I kept tripping over it. I had to spend some time removing 22 years of mud, muck and grease first. Nice and clean now and with no leaks coming from the front of the motor anymore it should stay that way.
20190117_121311[1].jpg

It isn't a skid plate, it is a splash shield to keep debris out of the fan and belts. It also has a effect on airflow through the radiator.

It isn't a skid plate, it is a splash shield to keep debris out of the fan and belts. It also has a effect on airflow through the radiator.

Thanks Dan ... that makes a lot more sense now. I will need to find the one for the LX now and put it back on as well. Hate to think I may have tossed it out of laziness years ago.

Still keeping the spare underneath, but upside down keeps water/mud/other debris from collecting (handsome aluminum corrosion from this). Problem now is checking or adding air. Problem solved.

FA5315D4-E588-4E0C-A9EE-34615F3A70DF.jpeg

More baselining on the White Cruiser. Greased the drive shafts and u-joints. Front axle seals are done, knuckle rebuild required. Need to limp it through as-is for a few months until I'm done processing wood for next winter so I decided to at least change the front diff fluid ... puke. Foamy, green, syrupy mess.
View attachment 1883433

Figured while it was up on the ramps I should put the factory skid plate back on. Not sure it does a whole lot, but an engineer put it there for some reason, plus I kept tripping over it. I had to spend some time removing 22 years of mud, muck and grease first. Nice and clean now and with no leaks coming from the front of the motor anymore it should stay that way.
View attachment 1883434
So thats whats missing off mine,how detremental is it if gone.
Any one have a schematic of all the skid plates an 80 series should have from the factory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom