What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (141 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For a perfect stock match for 315's you'd want 4.48 gears. So you would be .40 more (lower) than that with the 4.88's.
with 37's a stock match would be 4.79 gears, so 4.88's are a near perfect match for 37's if you want a stock feel.

I really like how my truck is feeling with the new 37's combined with the 4.88's I've had in the truck for a while. Shift points seem better and it corrected my speedo (within ~1mph of my GPS). Feels good and the slightly lower highway rpms are a welcome thing. Personally I prefer having a slightly larger pinion gear. I know there are plenty of people that run 5.29's without issue but the smaller pinion gear can become a weak point.

If you still wanted lower drive ratio, if it were me, I'd do 4.88's with 37's and then consider lower tcase gears for either the high or low range or both depending on what you're after.

Now you tell me....;)

Just kidding, I’ve had 5.29’s, Axles, rebuild kits etc sitting in my garage for almost two years. I just finally got around to getting them set up.. I’ve got some 35’s that are beyond their lifespan currently. I’m on the fence on tire size still, my brain/wallet are telling me 37”s but the kid in me really wants to give those new BFG KM3’s a shot in 39” which is technically a 38.5” tire..

For what it’s worth - I had them cryo’d and set up by Zuk to try and ensure as much durability as possible....:meh:

New tires t'day, 315's STT Pro's. They're still small compared to 37's, but my small tire syndrome is in check for at least another 3 years.

The STT Pro's are a lot quieter than my KM2's and more comfortable--the skinny tire was a beast off-road--I'm hoping for the same with these Cooper's.

Zona
Before: 255/85r16
IMG_5218.jpg

After: 315's
IMG_5225.jpg

IMG_5225.jpg

Installed Delta's shelf brackets and knocked one off my rig's to-do list with the rear shelf. Dawn patrol to lay down some fresh tracks in the Angeles Crest high country, and then pick up the whipper to hit the dirt...looking for "ego dirt" but the ground froze and couldn't soak up the rain. Triple-locked to get up into higher sites in Hungry Valley SVRA and had it pretty much to ourselves...minus the knuckleheads with a pickup full of M80's that went off all night. Slept nice & cozy in the Roofnest at about 34ºF and woke up to a frost-coated world, and once out of the drainage the riding in the hills was indeed epic.

I've got to say, Duratracs kick ass in the snow and icy roads, ride great on the freeway, but get loaded up and become bowling balls in the mud. I'll take their snow and ice performance over mud effectiveness any day...but it does have me thinking about other tire options. Maybe siped MTR's.

Capped it off with the whipper earning his keep and cooking up carne asada on the BioLite over hickory chips, and then later washing it all down - yes he was chanting IH8MUD too, haha.

Another Cruiser-infused weekend yeah yeah.

In two parts...

View attachment 1879200 View attachment 1879201 View attachment 1879210 View attachment 1879213 View attachment 1879214
How do you like those 4fronts? Raven no?

New tires t'day, 315's STT Pro's. They're still small compared to 37's, but my small tire syndrome is in check for at least another 3 years.

The STT Pro's are a lot quieter than my KM2's and more comfortable--the skinny tire was a beast off-road--I'm hoping for the same with these Cooper's.

Zona
View attachment 1880272
View attachment 1880273

View attachment 1880271
I just finished running a set of 315 STT Pros. They weren't terrible but there have been other tires I've liked more. My reason for responding is that you mentioned them being quiet. I noticed that when they were new as well. But they quickly (more quickly than other tires Ive run) got noisy. I was also disappointed with how they wore. I tried to keep them set at appropriate pressures and keep them rotated but they had some bad wear patterns that I'm sure contributed to the noise. Mine still have 50% tread left but I got to the point I couldn't stand the noise and feeling every lug hit the road when slowing down. I pulled them off and will be using them on my trailer instead.

Offroad they were pretty good. Again, I have had a couple different tires I've like better offroad but they will probably be a decent offroad tire for you. Hopefully you have better luck than I did with wear and noise. Just a heads up from my experience with them.

Zona
View attachment 1880272
View attachment 1880273

View attachment 1880271

Can you give me any info on that tire mount? Homemade? I like that more than lugs, and I like the hole for a pad lock. Thanks

I just finished running a set of 315 STT Pros. They weren't terrible but there have been other tires I've liked more. My reason for responding is that you mentioned them being quiet. I noticed that when they were new as well. But they quickly (more quickly than other tires Ive run) got noisy. I was also disappointed with how they wore. I tried to keep them set at appropriate pressures and keep them rotated but they had some bad wear patterns that I'm sure contributed to the noise. Mine still have 50% tread left but I got to the point I couldn't stand the noise and feeling every lug hit the road when slowing down. I pulled them off and will be using them on my trailer instead.

Offroad they were pretty good. Again, I have had a couple different tires I've like better offroad but they will probably be a decent offroad tire for you. Hopefully you have better luck than I did with wear and noise. Just a heads up from my experience with them.

Thank you for the comment, I will keep you posted and let you know. I might end up with an...wait for it...and AT if this doesn't work out.

Interestingly, the KM2's were great in snow and ice. A skinny on ice with 7,000 lb.s pushing on a small patch is going to have more pounds per square inch on contact. It's a mean tire, fugly, and mean. But man, they were hard to balance, always needed rotating and a rough, rough ride.

Zona

Can you give me any info on that tire mount? Homemade? I like that more than lugs, and I like the hole for a pad lock. Thanks

Thank you, I had it fabbed local. My requirements:

A hitch for a bike rack, carry up to a 35" tire, be entirely removable, lockable tire and gas cans and be able to swing open and latch safely and be able to 4x4 without any rattle. The guys I had fab it really did a great job. The 4x4 labs bumper is really solid and they welded a giant stud onto it that allows it to swing.

If you'd like pictures or their contact I can put you in touch with them.
Zona

Well I found out I have someone living in my truck and I didn't even know!

20190101_114315.jpg
20190114_154648.jpg

Set a trap and pulled out food sources. Might have froze to death with the recent weather. I'll watch for a funky smell when I run the heater.

Threw on a Trasharoo and mounted my Viair 450C from @NLXTACY . Still need to wire it up and figure out the air line. As you can see I just used 80/20 series 10 hardware to mount. It will be completely hidden when the wing to my KISS drawers from @CruiserDave is in place.

20190114_160931.jpg
20190115_123114.jpg
20190115_123103.jpg

I pulled stumps out with the 80 while planting 55 damn citrus trees on our new landView attachment 1875141 View attachment 1875141 View attachment 1875143 View attachment 1875141 View attachment 1875143 View attachment 1875145 View attachment 1875146 ..... with a bit of help from the dogs... we delayed our Big Bend trip to catch the nice weather to get this done... hoping to get later this month.

View attachment 1875147

Holy crap! Whos job is it to cover and uncover all those for the frost?

I lightened it up a bit tonight in preparation for UD and low range gears. I will be tackling that over the next few nights with the hopes of driving it late Saturday or Sunday.
IMG_4307.JPG

haha - mine......hoping we are missed by this next cool down... we're at 78 trees now.

Read alot about headgaskets on Mud. Got really nervous.

Drove about 1500 miles since purchase, no observable coolant loss.

No milk on dipstick or oil cap.

Coolant looks a little gross but I think it's old and unfortunately of the green variety. Guessing the tiny bit of sediment at the top of the radiator is angry aluminum.

Spent $30 to sleep easy at night. Either I am good or it's still too early (at 170k on a 1997).

Read alot about headgaskets on Mud. Got really nervous.

The MUD paranoia is real:deadhorse:

Just don't let it overheat....More high mileage rigs with original headgasket then not. Run it cool, maintain it and don't worry about it.

On my way to work today.

1D581A83-B884-4BA5-899B-8A8895B652B9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom