Our 1968 FJ55 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well went to use the clutch and it started puking out of the clutch master cylinder , ordered a aftermarket one which required modifying the hard line to work, and shortening the bolt that goes through the banjo fitting. Picked up a new battery at Costco with the correct terminal arrangement. Need to connect the ground cable to the body ground.

Worked on adjusting the Choke and she now starts pretty good. Took a meter to the battery and found the Alternator wasn't charging. Pulled the air cleaner assembly to get to the alternator and found the connector was out of the back and one wire was broken. crimped a new connector on and now I have voltage.

But I caused another problem while I was down in that area. I tried getting one of the exhaust manifold outlet stud nuts loose and broke the stud off. SO looks like I'm going to pull the Manifold to fix. I ordered two new studs and nuts so they will be there when I need them. I have decided to pull the head and replace the gasket. With this engine running without thermostat housing, and the guy using it as a plow vehicle I bet he overheated the engine at least once. Compression on the engine looked good but I'm thinking a water passage might be compromised.

Afternoon everyone, pulled the intake and exhaust manifolds to get at the broken outlet stud. Found two of the bolts that join the intake to the exhaust missing and the lomy bolt that came down from the top was seized to the exhaust manifold. I heated it, sprayed WD40 with no success. Snapped it if now had two to drill out. Jumped on it and got both drilled out and thread chased. Ordered a 10mmx1.25 thread kit to repair the stripped holes in the intake. Hopefully will make it useable once again. Need to order the bolts missing and broken. This time everything goes back together with antiseize.

After looking in the FJ40 Registry I believe my engine is original to my vehicle. What doesn't make sense is the intake having a 2 barrel opening. My engines number is F256740.

Ordered the fasteners, helicoil kit, and the gasket that goes between the manifolds.

From the look of the manifold I would believe that. The parts book I have only goes back to 1969.

Thanks I wondered when the two barrel made it on to the F engine. What serial number is your 67?

Here is my engine bay.

IMG_1749.JPG

I guess I will start looking for an Aisan 2 barrel.

Ha. Yep.

I have a fully rebuilt-by-the-god-of-Cruisers JimC carb and recurved and rebuilt distributor for sale for $1000

Cats ass. Bolt on and peel out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom