High altitude fj80 life (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not a jab but either my rig either has something I'm unaware of (no turbo, forced induction, super charger, etc) or people evidently expect something out of their rigs that I don't.

Working two winters in Colorado and routinely commuting from ~5k-8k was never a problem at all. Maintained 50+ MPH through hilly, windy mountain roads.

Edit- And that was always with the lowest grade fuel available. Now that my LX isn't my DD and only used for trips, I feed it the highest grade available. Makes a difference at least in power (I didn't bother tracking MPG before or after the switch, it is what it is).

The OP is talking about a 3fe fj80. You've got a 30% power advantage over him out of the box.

I think it was mentioned once or twice but I find it worth repeating.. Desmog that 3FE! It should run smoother and you eliminate some hassle in regards to failure points and maintenance items. It also frees up a lot of space in the engine bay for accessories or just easier access to work on other stuff...

http://www.trollholescruisers.com/Tech/Manuals/Engine/3FE-Desmog_Guide.pdf

The OP is talking about a 3fe fj80. You've got a 30% power advantage over him out of the box.

Ah, that makes some sense. I knew there were differences but had no idea it was that much (not a guy who is very knowledgeable on engines).

Thanks for explaining!

It also makes me glad I ended up with what I did. To be totally honest, when I bought my rig in 2014 I was simply looking for a 91-97 80/LX without considering engine differences (I guess I thought they were all the same, maybe?).

Does anyone have the HP / Torque curves for the 3FE engine? That would show optimal RPM ranges for the most torque while climbing.....

(The 1FZ-FE has peak torque at 3500 RPM)

4.88s and 33s would be a great combo for a little more get up and go. Otherwise, strip any and all weight you can, and learn the shift points and how to maintain speed. As others have said, a desmog will probably help as would possibly doing a little exhaust work.

155 hp at 4k rpm...

I deleted the EGR on my '91, and put the Man-A-Fre tuned headers and a K&N air filter on it. Never had it dynoed, but my inclined freeway entrance ramp acceleration test showed a definite improvement, and my gas mileage went from 11 to 14, a 27% improvement. The headers eventually rusted out (pinhole leaks), even though they were ceramic coated. I took them off and welded up the holes; they rusted again and I took them off and replaced the stock cast iron manifold.

Last edited:
Having 91 FJ80 that spent lots of time travel Wyoming mountain roads including those of Laramie's Snowy Range mountains the best thing for your 92 FJ80 is to run it hard on long distance runs. Currently 310 K miles on my stock motor, no addition oil need before the last 6575 mile oil change. When my 80 was in stock form traveling up step Mountain Highways was no problem, as build progressed that additional weight along with tire size slowed once easy climbs to a struggle. Overall mpg down from 14/17 to 11/13, keep it lights.

Does anyone have the HP / Torque curves for the 3FE engine? ...

HP_3FE-1FZ.jpg

HP_3FE-1FZ.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, the 30% more power from a 1FZ had me a feeling down, then I looked at the graphs of the curves and couldn't even look at the new rig. Took me a couple days to not sell the thing, but it caught my eye in the driveway this morning and I remembered that it's the cleanest 80 series I've ever seen, absolutely pristine, and the 30% loss of performance is probably balanced with a 31% gain in cast iron durability. After all, we're still making Saturday morning pancakes on my Grandma's iron griddle.

Appreciate the info from all! Fresh fluids and a tune up this weekend, then Desmog (worked very well for my 60), then I'll try the t case gears for the tall skinny tires. Love the skinny tires and really don't understand why we have the tire sizes we do in the U.S.? I've been to far away Australia, western China, and the back pages of Mexico and their tires are all half as skinny as ours! These rigs are designed around skinny.

If all the basics you fellas have suggested don't work, maybe a diesel swap over a 1FZ to keep it authentic?

Oh man, the 30% more power from a 1FZ had me a feeling down, then I looked at the graphs of the curves and couldn't even look at the new rig. Took me a couple days to not sell the thing, but it caught my eye in the driveway this morning and I remembered that it's the cleanest 80 series I've ever seen, absolutely pristine, and the 30% loss of performance is probably balanced with a 31% gain in cast iron durability. After all, we're still making Saturday morning pancakes on my Grandma's iron griddle.

Appreciate the info from all! Fresh fluids and a tune up this weekend, then Desmog (worked very well for my 60), then I'll try the t case gears for the tall skinny tires. Love the skinny tires and really don't understand why we have the tire sizes we do in the U.S.? I've been to far away Australia, western China, and the back pages of Mexico and their tires are all half as skinny as ours! These rigs are designed around skinny.

If all the basics you fellas have suggested don't work, maybe a diesel swap over a 1FZ to keep it authentic?

My sentiments exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom