Builds Build thread for '87 BJ75 Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After purchase from Steve in Boulder, I've been messing around a bit to get a feel for the thing. I'm not mechanical, so any mechanic work will be completed by Robbie "powderpig" in Boulder. First thing was transfer case rebuild, tie rods, and water pump. Then replaced all hoses in engine. Oh, and put a oil pan warmer in...greatly helps with cold starts. Then, my batteries died on me, so those were replaced. Due to the split rims and agricultural tires, I bought new rims and tires - made a good difference as the old tires were stiff and provided no shock absorption...or traction on ice.

After cruising around, the Troopy seems to be fine going 55 to 65 on the highway, given there is NO incline. With incline, the little non-turbo 3b drops off quick. I had thoughts about adding a turbo. I've heard good and bad things about this.

I've run into a bit of an issue with "overheating." Not sure if I have a bad gauge or an actual heat management issue. It seems to run on the cold side, even at 60 mph, until I hit any incline or strong headwind. In these cases, the needle spikes up quickly to near red. Cools down quickly if I slow or stop for a couple of minutes. I plan to sort this out this wknd.

For stuff that I am capable of, here's what's next. I plan to soundproof the inside with NOICO 80 ml and add a homemade headliner. I bought some auto foam-back fabric for that. I purchased an oem bedliner from a mudmember and plan to add a soundproofing layer to this as well.

Future plans include new suspension, bodywork to cut out and replace rusted panels, cut new interior panels, and repaint.

fullsizeoutput_9b0.jpeg

0isy3T%nR2GVphiShvWnVA.jpg

tHWLe24kRjysbJQk+%s43g.jpg

IMG_0541.JPG

Not so fun trying to get the old foam and adhesive off the roof.

Last edited:
On the overheating. Probably injection pump has been messed with and is over fueling. On inclines that will make it get hot.

I would start by going through the cooling system though and making sure it is up to par. Being a Euro Cruiser I am sure it has a fan clutch, that’s a good place to start.

Pretty standard to have to go through the IP and injectors on most imported diesel Cruisers in the first year or so after import.

Cheers

Have you had the radiator flushed or otherwise cleaned in anyway.? After 32 years it's cooling capacity may be greatly reduced.

Last edited:
Again with the cooling system redo. I'm dealing with the after effects of a tired nasty cooling system. The previous owner was driving, it blew a hose, overheated and blew the head gasket, taking out a lifter, push-rods and a valve. Currently rebuilding the engine.

Original radiator (leaking) original hoses, terrible looking coolant all add up to an inefficient cooling system. Temps go up, bad things happen.

Congrats on the troopy!

Good to see some progress on this one!

Not sure what the overheating thing is (didn't have that issue with how little I drove it), but just a quick note re: the cooling system--I didn't flush it or really tend to it at all while I had it, since I wasn't driving the car much. As others have said, best to start by thoroughly checking that all cooling system components are up to spec.

Probably injection pump has been messed with and is over fueling. On inclines that will make it get hot.

Might not be serious. Previous owner (in Europe) had adjusted the fuel screw, which I had to re-adjust in order to pass Colorado emissions. Without proper diagnostic equipment, it's likely I didn't get it exactly correct. Might see if Robbie can simply tune the motor: fuel, valves, etc. if he hasn't already.

BTW, I'm making progress on the interior panels. Should have something by the end of the week. PM or text me.

P.S. You don't have any of your own photos, you gotta re-use mine? lol....:p

Good to see some progress on this one!

Not sure what the overheating thing is (didn't have that issue with how little I drove it), but just a quick note re: the cooling system--I didn't flush it or really tend to it at all while I had it, since I wasn't driving the car much. As others have said, best to start by thoroughly checking that all cooling system components are up to spec.

Might not be serious. Previous owner (in Europe) had adjusted the fuel screw, which I had to re-adjust in order to pass Colorado emissions. Without proper diagnostic equipment, it's likely I didn't get it exactly correct. Might see if Robbie can simply tune the motor: fuel, valves, etc. if he hasn't already.

BTW, I'm making progress on the interior panels. Should have something by the end of the week. PM or text me.

P.S. You don't have any of your own photos, you gotta re-use mine? lol....:p
Lol....It's so good though!

That's a good looking Troopy. Please continue to post........following.

Glad you started a build thread. I’ll grab the popcorn and follow along!

Update to overheating issue: after evaluation, the diagnosis was a failing head gasket. Fixing this will take priority for now. I’ll post again when I get past this repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom