ARB vs Dometic Fridge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking into purchasing a mobile fridge but can't seem to find a recent comparison between the ARB and Dometic. I'm thinking a 50 size would work good for my needs. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
I went with my decision based on dimensions and lid access. I went with an ARB 63 because it wasn't as tall. See the ARB dimensions below. I have it sitting on top of my ARB Drawers with the sliding top. I'm happy with it, but I do like the dual temp control of the Dometic. Both are good options.
  • 37 Quart / 35 Liter: H 16.9” x W 15” x D 27.8”
  • 50 Quart / 45 Liter: H 20" x W 27.76" x D 14.96"
  • 63 Quart / 60 Liter: H 16.9” x W 17.7” x D 33.3”
  • 82 Quart / 78 Liter: H 20” x W 17.7” x D 33.3”

2019-01-11_08-32-48.png

I've had a few..... edgestar worked great, Dometic CFX-DZ I didn't like that much, have a snomaster now works great (compressor rattles a little when it's not running).

I went with the ARB (50L) in large part because we have a local ARB dealer in Cruiser Outfitters should something ever go wrong. A dual zone would be cool, but it's not something I needed. Whatever you pick, look to how easily you can get it serviced should something ever break (hinges, handles, etc.).

Having worked out of several fridges the #1 for me is a side opening lid. Second is a compartment in the fridge that sees warmer temps than the main compartment for greens and fruit.

I totally agree with this. If looking at a 50 quart, you may want to look at the Dometic CFX 50W. It is actually even shorter than the ARB at 18.5"H x 28.5"W x 17.9D. I have the 65W (not the dual zone) and have had no issues. When not in camping duties, it holds our beverages so is in use 365 days a year.

+1 on the ARB. Had one for almost two years. 50 quart. Runs great. You can plug it in at home as well for a backup fridge.

I bought the expensive ARB fridge cozy as well. You can feel a little bit of cold bleed through the metal case, so I lined the cover with reflectix as well. Seems to help cut down on energy use, but no actual data. Interior storage is similar to having a Yeti cooler.

The only downside is that it's a bit harder to keep food organized if there are no shelves. Not a big deal for us. We can store 3-4 days of food in our 50qt.

I think the big advantage of an ARB or similar is that you don't dump out all the cold air the second you open the fridge. In a traditional 12V RV fridge, all the cold air spills out immediately. Not a big deal if plugged into shore power. A big deal if you are trying to be a power miser.

I was just starting to write a blog post long term review on the ARB. Will get it posted this week, need some better pics of it.

Hope,that helps.

+1 on the ARB. Had one for almost two years. 50 quart. Runs great. You can plug it in at home as well for a backup fridge.

I bought the expensive ARB fridge cozy as well. You can feel a little bit of cold bleed through the metal case, so I lined the cover with reflectix as well. Seems to help cut down on energy use, but no actual data. Interior storage is similar to having a Yeti cooler.

The only downside is that it's a bit harder to keep food organized if there are no shelves. Not a big deal for us. We can store 3-4 days of food in our 50qt.

I think the big advantage of an ARB or similar is that you don't dump out all the cold air the second you open the fridge. In a traditional 12V RV fridge, all the cold air spills out immediately. Not a big deal if plugged into shore power. A big deal if you are trying to be a power miser.

I was just starting to write a blog post long term review on the ARB. Will get it posted this week, need some better pics of it.

Hope,that helps.
Thanks for the advice. I was looking to pick up the Dometic at REI with my Co-Op distribution. However, the 50ct is sold out and currently on back order. I think the local 4Wheel Parts carries the ARB.

Thanks for the advice. I was looking to pick up the Dometic at REI with my Co-Op distribution. However, the 50ct is sold out and currently on back order. I think the local 4Wheel Parts carries the ARB.
I have ordered several items from ARB and they do seem to backorder quite a bit. It usually takes a few weeks. I got mine at REI and I have been happy with it. There was a guy on here that had issues with Dometic customer service. I have talked to ARB several times for various products and I have always been satisfied.

Rei also carries ARB. I have seen several in their store in denver. Can use your 20% off coupon they issue each year also

Dometic makes the ARB units so it really just comes down to size. The Dometics are easier to get into because they open from the side and the door is reversible.

Sucks to have that much of an adventure and no good photos to go along.:D

I totally agree with this. If looking at a 50 quart, you may want to look at the Dometic CFX 50W. It is actually even shorter than the ARB at 18.5"H x 28.5"W x 17.9D. I have the 65W (not the dual zone) and have had no issues. When not in camping duties, it holds our beverages so is in use 365 days a year.
Do you have yours directly hooked to the battery or through a cigarette port?

Have some 4 gauge wire that runs to the rear. That feeds an inverter and a couple of power ports (cigarette lighter plugs). I plug into one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom