FZJ 80 Axle Swap into 98 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really like this build, thanks for sharing. More underbody pictures please from all angles.
Thanks!

I'd like to know how it drives and tracks down the road. Is it also bodylifted?

Damn inexpressive mate, this would turn it into a 105 series like i have. As some of you probably aware In Aus they are highly sort after versions of the 100 series because of the solid front axle. Im currently running the stock 1HZ engine with an aftermarket turbo and top mount intercooler/scoop but many fellows here are swapping out the HDFTE engine into the 105s and turning them into 4WD weapons

Solid axle + the factory turbo diesel 4.2 (as opposed to my factory 4.2 NA with bolt on turbo) . Would be great if they were available in the states there and we would have more parts and these engines floating around. Me personally i would put a cummins 6bt in :)

I have completely ran out of money for any more going into this project for now. I do have a long term goal of doing a diesel swap. I want to be able to get 25mpg. I am not sure what route I am going, but it will be some sort of cummins, 4bt, 6bt, or maybe a 2.8. It will depend once I get this SAS and build my bank account back up

Really like this build, thanks for sharing. More underbody pictures please from all angles.
Thanks!

I just took it on its first test drive today. It is tracking perfectly straight and rides amazing. I will need to adjust some steering. I also will probably go with some sort of steering assist. Either my stock power steering pump is going out or it can't handle the pressure requirements at lower RPMS. Steering is a little tight when at a stop or low speeds. There will be more pics. I have them all and now that I have finished it. I will be posting more

It is done! First test drive today. I had a couple small issues and got them fixed. Currently, I need to recenter my pitman arm, and knock out a few odds and ends. I am planning driving this 1200 miles to Colorado on Saturday so I am really cutting it close. I blew my timeline majorly, but overall was about a month to complete. I thought I could of done it half of that.. o well. I will be driving her tomorrow full time.
20190110_150634.jpg

20190110_150645.jpg

20190110_151100.jpg

I just took it on its first test drive today. It is tracking perfectly straight and rides amazing. I will need to adjust some steering. I also will probably go with some sort of steering assist. Either my stock power steering pump is going out or it can't handle the pressure requirements at lower RPMS. Steering is a little tight when at a stop or low speeds. There will be more pics. I have them all and now that I have finished it. I will be posting more

Get a hydraulic assist. Ties to your current system. Best money I spent on mine

A0371EA8-37D7-4343-9D43-0D72D5D4F7E6.jpeg

553859B8-FF67-4AFE-816F-8293E9E36491.jpeg

where did you get this from? I'm assuming it's a kit. who makes it. I definitely need to get this taken care of sooner rather than later

It is a Kit. Here is the site
West Texas Offroad |
The shop I go to recommend it. They send you kit which includes a new rack, hoses, and ran cylinder and you send your rack. Have mine for over 3 years now with no issues.

It is a Kit. Here is the site
West Texas Offroad |
The shop I go to recommend it. They send you kit which includes a new rack, hoses, and ran cylinder and you send your rack. Have mine for over 3 years now with no issues.

Minor hi-jack... could something like that work on the stock IFS steering system or is this exclusive to solid axles?

Minor hi-jack... could something like that work on the stock IFS steering system or is this exclusive to solid axles?

They make different systems, so they might make one for the IFS. It’s worth inquiring with them.

It is done! First test drive today. I had a couple small issues and got them fixed. Currently, I need to recenter my pitman arm, and knock out a few odds and ends. I am planning driving this 1200 miles to Colorado on Saturday so I am really cutting it close. I blew my timeline majorly, but overall was about a month to complete. I thought I could of done it half of that.. o well. I will be driving her tomorrow full time.
View attachment 1875907

So maybe it's an illusion but in this picture of the truck head-on it looks like the coilovers are vertical or maybe even past vertical (inverted). Is that true? Can you put an angle finder on the coils? You want them angled in at the top for stability.

Thanks!

660 miles on the SAS and it rides so ****ing good. Probably better than what it was since I added the rear sway bar that I had removed before the SAS
Steering linkage definitely needs to be redone. I'm gonna remove one of the u joint and go to a straight joint,
To get it ready for wheeling,
I need a stock t case crossmember
I will need extended front brake lines, not sure where i can find those probably needs to be custom
then she is ready for the rubicon in March or April, Hopefully depends on a possible job opportunity

So maybe it's an illusion but in this picture of the truck head-on it looks like the coilovers are vertical or maybe even past vertical (inverted). Is that true? Can you put an angle finder on the coils? You want them angled in at the top for stability.
I havent put a degree finder on it, probably something I should of done during installation if I were to guess its probably 1-2degrees

We are all itching to see your new frame control arm mounts

I dont believe I have a pic at this moment but I installed the caster correction plates and kept the same idea. Used 1/2 inchplate as a bolt on cross member and then used a box in method of 3/8 plate that is a tiny bit lower than the stock rear lower control arms. I am much happier with this mount. Castor was sitting at 2.8 degrees. Truck tracks straight and drives amazing. Once I get back I'll be taking more pictures for everyone to hate on because I'm on a limited budget and not a professional lol.

Screenshot_20190112-213730_Gallery.jpg

this is the best picture I have currently of the new radius arm mounts. I am very pleased at how this project came together. This was by far the biggest thing I have ever done on a vehicle. I finished yesterday and started driving to Colorado today. 660 miles in the snow, ice, rain through illinois Missouri and Kansas. The steering linkage needs to be fixed I shortened the linkage and switch a straight joint to a u joint and it clanks on the firewall and there is quite a bit of play in the steering wheel before turning. That needs to get fixed,but other than that I'm loving it right now.

I noticed the play in the steering shaft when I did my SAS...my solution was a bearing at the firewall. I also used a piece of the original splined coupler, as a "bushing" since the I.D. of the bearing is larger than the steering shaft. Post #51 here: Land Cruiser de-evolution

Edit: This is the bearing I used. One half of the "clamp" shell thing is welded to the firewall, with bolts tack welded to it. The other half bolts on as you can see in the potato pic. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K8N5I0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom