Winter Landing Between the Lakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nottajeep

Enemies of the State
SILVER Star
Threads
Jan 18th through 20th
Come outside and play at Land Between the Lakes!

Weather is a probably not going to be in our favor. So we'll just see how it goes...

Leave out Fri AM
Stop in Lynchburg for a brown bottle tour and grab some lunch
Get into LBL before dark and setup camp
Ride all day Sat (need to sort this out Mr. Bush)
Camp somewhere new in LBL sat night (assuming we will find a new spot after the ride Sat)
Finish up any touring Sun morning;
Depart after lunch back to Sweet Home Alabama

Several roads are closed
Map for reference
(I have not had time to study how this affects the trip)

Attachments

• LBL-MVUM-2018.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 229
Tours at Jack Daniels are 9am-4:30pm daily. The one where you get a flight of whiskey is $20 and takes about 1hr and 30

Tours at Jack Daniels are 9am-4:30pm daily. The one where you get a flight of whiskey is $20 and takes about 1hr and 30
$5 more and you get a major upgrade

Angel's Share Distillery Tour

"several expressions from our Single Barrel Collection and two limited edition whiskeys"

Sounds good. Not sure everyone is down with spending that much but you are maxing out the experience with this option Taste of Lynchburg Tour

Getting down to the Lynchburg square is a cool experience and we should eat lunch somewhere in that area for sure.

Man,

You guys are on it. So that's a kids weekend for me but i may can work around it.

The best info I have on the place is this:

Very limited cell service.

The Bison and Elk range is very cool but it is a paved road that loops through the range. We went slow and saw a lot of each, actually drove through the bison herd as they were all over the road and on both sides when we got to them. Good close ups of both of these majestic creatures.

We explored a lot of roads. I did find that the numbering system was appropriate as referenced on the link Chris provided. Where the 300 roads were the most difficult. There were a few that I got down that I had to find places to turn around but I was by myself and pre KO2. I would have gone farther with some better tires and recovery options. Lots of mud on the roads/trails.

Turkey Bay had me a little confused at first but it was fun wheeling. There are some very tight trails there and some more open stuff with a huge rock garden. It is more small rocky with lost of fairly steep and off camber hills. We could probably spend a whole day exploring that place. It is covered in some more difficult places where one could have a crazy time in something less full bodied but there was plenty of stuff for the full bodies also. Also a nice campground area with bathrooms to have lunch.

MAPS:

The avenza maps worked great and I never felt like I was lost. They were super cheap and worth $$. I just randomly turned here and there and rode a lot of roads that looked like they ended up at the waters edge. At one point we were headed somewhere else and I saw a line of Jeeps turning down a road. I dropped a pin and came back the next day for a good little run.
Land Between the Lakes North, Visitor Map - US Forest Service R8 - Avenza Maps

Land Between the Lakes South, Visitor Map - US Forest Service R8 - Avenza Maps

This is what I used for Turkey Bay and the reason for confusion. There were so many trails at some intersections it was hard to tell where I was going. I did use a NFS map that I found online to follow my track and have a lot of the major intersections marked now with gps tracks. I would be a lot more confident in where i was going the next time around.
http://www.kentuckylake.com/lbl/pdfs/11TurkeyBayOHVmap.pdf

I also printed the MVUM. Luckily when I was there i did not find any closures.

I think that some of the places where you disperse camp are limited to number of campers and there are specific locations for larger groups but I need to look back to be sure.

If you’re there before we go let us know where the can’t miss stuff is. Have fun!

Looks like I'm missing you guys by a week out there. Plan on doing a 3 day trail ride out there

I think it might be a good time for roll call.
Wife has given me a pass so I am good to go.
Who else is in?

Couple of points from @bush
1) let's get HAM going
2) everyone get the $2 app (just in case we get separated)
3) kids? I am leaving mine at home; I don't think they can handle the Jack samples or the cold camp. However, children are always welcomed in my opinion.
4) Are Bison not dangerous?
5) will the restrooms/showers have water cutoff for winter
6) Hope you can make it Bush! Should be epic!

It is eagle weekend up there so bring some optics.

I'm in.

1) got it!
2.) will get it
3.) My kids will have to stay here unless we move the departure to Saturday, because of school. Kids are allowed on some of the JD tours, we took mine once.
4.) they also make good burgers
5.) suck it up buttercup
6.) ditto!

Id like to go but we have a January 20th due date so it doesn't look promising. Maybe if something happens early she'll want me out of the house for a weekend.
Congrats Roma! Maybe it will be an MLK baby:santa::grinpimp::popcorn::meh:

Pretty sure I've convinced the gf to do her bday out here. I'm in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom