Builds 1977 FJ40 - USA Spec Restoration - Father & Son Project - AKA "Belle" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious what’s motivating you to reinforce the frame? Lots of debate around this in the 4x4 community but I can’t imagine it would be necessary on a stock 40?

After much thought and research, I have decided to keep it stock. I am not planning to do any hard core off roading. It has lasted this long, so it should serve me well another 40 years. I usually tend to "over do" things, so this time I'll keep it stock and simple.

Also, both the spring perch gusset and the fame boxing kit could be done later if I decide to do it later.

Thanks guys!!

Matthew

Last edited:
I ordered a rear wheel well brace from this site < Real Steel Cruiser Parts > on Monday and it arrived on Thursday... AWESOME!

I called the phone number and a guy answers the phone. I asked if he had the part in stock and he said yeah, so I ordered it online.

Great service, nice part, fair price!!! I would recommend them!!

Brace 01.jpg

Brace 05.jpg

Brace 04.jpg

Brace 03.jpg

Brace 02.jpg

Hi Vexveader-

I too have a 77 FJ40 it has a Nov 77 build date. Currently I am just preserving mine till I can get around to doing what you are doing. I will be following closely and do appreciate the pics you are posting! Where in Atlanta are you. I lived in Stone Mnt. GA for 16 years before I joined the Army back in 1986. After retiring from the Army I moved to TN to be close to my father who lives on Lookout Mnt. near Chattanooga. I am only about a 3 hr drive from Atl and go there occasionaly to see folks I graduated High School with. Good luck on your project, you seem to have very capable helpers to give you a hand. Could you post who and where in Gainsville you are taking your frame to?
Thanks....

Nice 40, and great job so far. It is such a win to have your kids get onvolved too.

Looking forward to your progress.

Great thread! I love to see the kids involved. I am in upstate SC and did a frame off on my 77 (see build thread in my sig). I have a bunch of pictures from taking it apart that were very useful putting it all back together. Pictures of bolts and where they go, etc. I could put them on a flash drive and mail them to you if you want. Just PM me. I also have a ton of links to various websites and helpful threads. Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

What you are doing is VERY doable. Break it down to sub assemblies. Mechanical, brakes, electrical, interior, etc. COncentrate on one area at a time. Jealous, I really miss the work. It was a lot of fun. The most fun is all the smiles you get from people when it is finished. Of all the cars I have had, the 40 is the biggest crowd pleaser.

Glad to here you're going to keep the frame stock. The boxing kit you reference is for the rear of the frame, which is probably not an issue if you decide to do it. There is a lot open "C" channel back there. I've talk to old timers and was taught that leaf spring frames were designed to flex. Years ago the PO butchered in saginaw power steering and hacked the front crossmember on my 40 for the steering shaft and steering box. I had to reinforce areas on the weakened frt crossmember. It seemed it didn't matter what I did, the repair, the welds or ther frame would crack periodically in that area. I always had to keep an eye on it. I realized at some point I would have to replace the front cross member and rework the power steering. I had an old rusty frame and pulled the frt crossmember for future repairs. Eventually, the flex, steering, and welded repairs took out the front portion of the driver side frame rail where the steering box was mounted. There was no fixing it any more. I replaced the front crossmember using Grade 8 fine thread bolts for rivets and tacked the nuts so they wouldn't loosen. I had to scab the frt portion of the frame rail to create strength, and adapted Scout power steering which places the box behind the frt cross member. I made sure I did not weld any part of the crossmember to the frame rails. I hindsight, I should have used button head socket cap crews for rivets instead of bolts. because of appearance.

Hi Vexveader-

I too have a 77 FJ40 it has a Nov 77 build date. Currently I am just preserving mine till I can get around to doing what you are doing. I will be following closely and do appreciate the pics you are posting! Where in Atlanta are you. I lived in Stone Mnt. GA for 16 years before I joined the Army back in 1986. After retiring from the Army I moved to TN to be close to my father who lives on Lookout Mnt. near Chattanooga. I am only about a 3 hr drive from Atl and go there occasionaly to see folks I graduated High School with. Good luck on your project, you seem to have very capable helpers to give you a hand. Could you post who and where in Gainsville you are taking your frame to?
Thanks....

Thanks. I will PM you with the info of the guy in Gainesville :)

Great thread! I love to see the kids involved. I am in upstate SC and did a frame off on my 77 (see build thread in my sig). I have a bunch of pictures from taking it apart that were very useful putting it all back together. Pictures of bolts and where they go, etc. I could put them on a flash drive and mail them to you if you want. Just PM me. I also have a ton of links to various websites and helpful threads. Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

What you are doing is VERY doable. Break it down to sub assemblies. Mechanical, brakes, electrical, interior, etc. COncentrate on one area at a time. Jealous, I really miss the work. It was a lot of fun. The most fun is all the smiles you get from people when it is finished. Of all the cars I have had, the 40 is the biggest crowd pleaser.

I will PM you!

OK... I got a little work done on the 40 today after church.

- Rolled it out in the rain and 40 degree weather and had my son (the hooded Star Wars Jawa) pressure wash the frame and axles.
- Took off the axles and leaf springs
- Took off the steering stabilizer and tie rods
- Did some miscellaneous frame clean up

She is ready to send to the sand blaster on Tuesday. I have a buddy coming tomorrow after work to help me load it on the trailer. I should have it back by the end of the week cleaned and with two coats of PPG Durethane in gloss black.

02.jpg

03.jpg

07.jpg

01.jpg

07.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered two new diagonal cross members for the back from fellow MUD member Awl_TEQ. I just have to wait for them to get here from Canada :).

Here is what the original ones looked like when I pulled them out. Not much left...

04.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! Keep at it. Here is my frame before and after. I had it blasted and powdercoated. Some of the best money I spent. When you get it back chase all the threads with a tap before you start putting it all back together. They plugged most of the holes, but missed several.

20150920_144129 copy.jpg

20151016_135254 copy.jpg

Looking good! Keep at it. Here is my frame before and after. I had it blasted and powdercoated. Some of the best money I spent. When you get it back chase all the threads with a tap before you start putting it all back together. They plugged most of the holes, but missed several.

View attachment 1850622

View attachment 1850623

Emac,

Your frame (and FJ) looks good. I read through your build tread. AWESOME!! Thanks for the encouragement.

I decided to go with the PPG paint and not power coat for several reasons, but I think powder coating is the best option if possible.

Matthew

Either one will work very well so long as the preparation is good. Thank you for the props on my build. When I brought my rig home my intentions were to do a decent restoration/refurb. A friend took me over to a guys shop that was finishing up an FJ45. He had everything super organized with incredible attention to every detail. That set the mark for me. I made it my goal to do it as best I could. It takes more time and costs more money but those two things will be forgotten quickly compared to doing it shoddy.

Always read on MUD before you start to do something. Like restoring the heater box, there are tons of threads on what paint to use, where to get parts, etc. Every little detail is right here on MUD.

This was my go to thread for just about everything:

Another 77 FJ40 resto

Keep posting pictures!

I got a couple pics while the frame was being sandblasted. It is done and has two coats of PPG Durethane on it. I am picking it up this afternoon and will post some more pics when I get it home.

I am thinking about buying a quart of PPG Durethane and spraying all the rest of the chassis parts myself at home. I have been doing a lot of reading about POR 15 vs KBS. They all seem about the same and need to be top coated to protect against UV. So... I thought if I have to topcoat it anyway, why not just spray it with the PPG Durethane. It is designed to go right on top of metal and light rust anyway.

What do you guys think??? POR 15, KBS, or PPG Durethane???

IMG_1346.jpeg

IMG_1757.JPG

I picked up the frame today and here are some pics. It was raining and I had no choice but to trailer in home in the rain. It was hard to do, but I realized this thing is going to see a lot more rainy roads in the future so I might as well get used to it.

To be honest... I would give the sand blasting job a 7 out of 10. I wish a couple spots were spent a little more time on, but the paint job I would give a 9 out of 10. He put 3 good coats on it and it turned out GREAT.

It's actually a lot smoother in person than the pics look. Some of the "wavy" look and dots is from the water on the frame (rain). I blew it off with compressed air, but it still had some water on it. It was a "fair" price and I am happy over all.

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

Last edited:
The frame looks great. Keep up the progress and don't be afraid to reach out as I am local and also restoring a 77 and I may have some parts if you end up needing something. I bought a parts 77 a few years ago to help with my build and I still have parts left from it.
You guys are doing great, keep it up

Derrick

Nice work!
Looks like your off to a great start!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom