tps adjustment readings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm testing my tps in my 86 truck 22re. My vta-e2 test 1 is supposed to be like .2 - .8 k ohms, I'm getting 1k. The idl-e2 with feeler guages reads nothing. Actually, if I force the throttle more closed ( no feeler guages) I get small reading, but as I open the throttle at all I loose any reading. Is this a dead spot indicating my tps is bad? Thanks.

Been there, but it doesn't specify the conditions to know if my tps is bad or just out of adjustment. I was hoping to get some insight from somebody that has had to adjust the tps. Thanks.

snaggletto said:
Been there, but it doesn't specify the conditions to know if my tps is bad or just out of adjustment. I was hoping to get some insight from somebody that has had to adjust the tps. Thanks.

The way I look at it is if I can't get the TPS within the specified readings then it is bad. I've followed the directions on the mentioned site with success.

I had the same problem with my 85 22re. replaced the tps and came up with similar readings. I studied the articals more and realized I wasted money on a new tps

I have been adjusting these pesky TPSes for years. In fact, I wrote the procedure on 4crawlers site (my sn at the time was frankenyota). If you have any questions about the procedure I'm happy to help.

I did some adjusting so that I showed some resistance with the smaller .024" feeler, and no resistance with the .033" feeler. This pretty much did the trick for getting my timing sorted at idle with the shorted diagnostic connector and without. I guess my tps is ok.

@frankenyota

Reviving this thread.

Is the only way to adjust the TPS to loosen and spin it one way or another?

I’m having the same issue where I can’t get a reading on the IDL-E2 circuit and my motor idles like garbage.

Attachments

• TPS adjustment.pdf
    261.2 KB · Views: 73
No, follow the service manual to adjust it.

That is immensely helpful.... I guess the FSM is online somewhere, eh?

@frankenyota

Reviving this thread.

Is the only way to adjust the TPS to loosen and spin it one way or another?

I’m having the same issue where I can’t get a reading on the IDL-E2 circuit and my motor idles like garbage.
As Pappy said its all in the FSM, this is what i followed for the adjustment of mine.

Imo the way to adjust the tps is this.
The idl-e2 is closed when throttle is closed. Adjust tps so it goes open as you Crack throttle. Simple as that. Resistance readings on a cold circuit are pretty much irrelevant.

Imo the way to adjust the tps is this.
The idl-e2 is closed when throttle is closed. Adjust tps so it goes open as you Crack throttle. Simple as that. Resistance readings on a cold circuit are pretty much irrelevant.

That is basically what I did. Still runs sh*tty, but it’s not because the TPS is out of adjustment.

I've adjusted a few TPS's. Of course, you should follow the FSM.

I have, however, found it more useful to set the third adjustment first, and then check and set the first two. Normally they're in range.

For whatever reason, that tends to work out easiest for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom