Why no C rated 18's ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the title is kind of self explanatory. My LX that I recently purchased is currently rocking Tundra wheels with 305/65/r18 KO2's in E load rating. Since they are practically new they will most likely stay. Out of curiosity I decided to look around and see if there was a good C rated replacement for them. Even dropping down to 275 or 285 there appears to be next to nothing in that load rating. Does anybody know what the deal is on this? Maybe 18 inch wheels are only on tow rigs that require the E rating ?

I personally wouldn’t run a C load range on any LX. 450, 470 and 570 all are too heavy for a C range tire. D is perfect in my mind.

I'll throw out my opinion so it's worth what you paid.

When I was growing up just about every 1/2 ton pickup and SUV ran 31x10.50-15 tires that were classified as C range or 6 ply. A 3/4 ton truck ran 16" wheels with 8 or 10 ply.

With so many vehicles running larger diameter wheels I suspect the manufacturers are afraid to offer a tire size in a C range tire that could be installed on a 3/4 ton or heavier pickup. Thank the lawyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom