what would you replace your TLC with ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My experience with a 6x6 Pinz was dreadful....
We were a party of 3 cars , doing a long trip in Algeria and Niger , back in the good old days .
I was with a short wheel base Land Rover 90 , 80 Hp , maybe less....
Friend , with a brand new TD5 Land Rover 130 .
And a Pinz 6x6 .
The Pinz was always last , and far behind , on the dirt .
On dune it was a pain .
Always had to try at least 2 times on steep slopes.
The motor is a 2.5 L , air cooled with no radiator , just a huge fan , Porsche stile .
Impossible to speak between driver and front passenger, too much noise.
Max speed 90/100 km/h on tarmac.
I like the mechanical concept , but it simply doesn't work in off road .
Well , a better definition will be that other vehicles work far better.

Just my experience

Bye Renago

My 712m (6x6) didn’t lack power off road. It does like a higher rpm to hold the power. It would drive up and over or through anything. 5ft fording? No problem. Steepest muddiest hills you ever seen? Yup no issues. 45mph down gravel roads drifting? Yup it would do that too!

Loud? Yes very! Slow? On the open road yes very slow, top speed 55mph and slowing way down on grades. Flips over easy off camber? Absolutely, I put mine on it’s side once! Sucks in the dunes? Yup, sand is all about power!

Mine was a toy. I used it as a toy but it sure was fun once I learned how to drive it!

Cheers

In Europe it adopted from Swiss , Austrian , and think , not sure French army .
I see why , in mountain environment,low speed ,it can be useful .But in open ground at over 70 km/h it is simply not effective .
The payload is very good , therefore you can easily overload the truck , lowering further down the porformance .
Not my kind of toy .
Will stay happy with my 78 HD-T motor .

Bye Renago

I added a Nissan Patrol Y61 to my stable for my long expedition overseas into Russia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, and those countries in there we can't pronounce......It's diesel, gets about 22mpg fully loaded and is friggin bullet proof. Think Toyota 80 made in 2012. It is a beast. Runs without a battery....totally mechanical. Crosses deep as hell rivers. Front and rear winch. Cute blond co-pilot....:)))

Last edited:
Keep driving your 80 until you can afford a 100 with an A750F and relatively low mileage. Drive that for 10 years and then swap out to a 200.

I originally built our 80 as an expo rig, and used it as such for many years. However after completing our 100/LX expo build and taking it on a long trip (9 days, 1500 miles) it was really evident how much more comfortable the 100 is. Stable on the highway, lots of power, better MPG.

I love our 80, and plan to keep it forever, but it is now dedicated to tighter trails and no longer the camping/expo rig.

View attachment 1278550
what did the trekbox run you back in 2016?

Nissan Patrol ....
Oh yeah...already posted that. Nevermind :))) Just get one.

Last edited:
10BFD754-75C2-42AC-8D1F-FFE5DF26BBFA.jpeg
View attachment 1853777 Replaced my dialed in 62 with this. Looking again for a 60 series Landcruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom