Sold my 40, looking into 1st Gen Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally let my old '77 FJ40 swb go to another owner - sick of seeing it rot and I can barely handle driving something like that any longer due to my health, let alone work on it.

Very interested in finding another pickup, had a Tacoma but it was a bit too small and the 4.0L a little anemic for real towing. Interested in the 1st Gen Tundra extra cabs, looks like '03-05 are decently priced and can find a few below 200k. Anything to look out for besides the obvious visuals?

I did drive an '02 already that has 232k on the clock, pretty obvious a lot of things were ignored but overall the truck isn't too bad. Sort of liked it but I see at least $1,500 in parts that need replaced, most of the front end is worn out badly but the rest of it was pretty good. No real rust either, which was odd to see. Trying to keep the cost down below $6k, but it's tough to find ones that don't have well north of 200,000 miles or are just plain beat to death. Found a couple in the 5k range at or below the 200k mark, anything below 150,000 are priced far higher, of course. Some of the used dealers are nuts, pricing trucks with high miles around $10,000 - I'm not stupid.

So, what does the Tundra crowd think ?

Sarge

Have you considered the '05-'07? They have something like 50 hp more and a 5 speed instead of a 4 speed. Plus, a cdl switch that works just like the 7 pin mod on the 80 series, if that matters to you.

Not in a market pricing that high, like to keep this under $6k, otherwise a waste of money as my job destroys vehicles. The 40 could take it easily, but I couldn't take the 40 any longer and our weather was killing it quickly.
I had a 4.0L Taco, it was fine but pretty weak - the '02 Tundra I drove with the 4.7L was like a rocket in comparison. Neither would have a chance against my '14 Dodge Hemi, but that's a whole different animal.

Sarge

If you can move the budget up a little, a 2nd gen Tundra is much more suitable. The 2nd gen is based on the 200 Series Land Cruiser, very HD... and will take much abuse. The 1st gens are nice, but being Tacoma based, much lighter duty.

I have owned a 1st gen for a few years. It's a nice addition to the Toyota herd and has done all I have asked of it for the most part. The power is good, but not great. It feels pretty anemic when towing but gets the job done. That said it is a drastic improvement (in power) over the 60 series and over the T100 I drove for many years. There are some engine upgrades to squeeze a little better performance, but I never really felt the need. It's a good daily driver. Reliable, easy to maneuver, good size for most tasks. My biggest complaint has been the mushy suspension but several upgrades in that area have helped tremendously. I live in a rugged and rural environ where the Tundra often goes weeks on end in 4wd. I was a bit leery of the push button shift, but can honestly say it has never let me down. I do tend to take my maintenance a bit too serious and have spent a good deal on such, but the truck is now north of 200k and is as reliable as it ever was. The only "failure" I have experienced is a rear wheel seal after a 1500 mile overland excursion and a transfer case seal after a 5 month stint of massive snow drift bashing while living at 12,000 feet. The downside is limited aftermarket support and a somewhat dated styling. It also has the crappy clearcoat peel that seems to plague a lot of Toyotas of the era (except for the LC's...my 100 series looks as good as ever) And, speaking of that, I would not endeavor to compare my Tundra to the Cruiser. It's still a Toyota and IMO better than any other light duty pickup of similar vintage, but it's no Land Cruiser. It's a great camping, hauling, and all around utility rig. I would highly endorse it.

Hey @Weber Sarge , what are you planning on towing?

I've had a 2000 tundra 4.7 sr5 4x4 ext cab. Great Truck! I loved it and regret selling it. I enjoyed it's medium size, powerful 4.7 (very partial to that motor) and otherwise easy truck to live with. But I wouldn't consider it much of a tow rig, occasional here and there sure but not much better off than a v6 tacoma, only slightly better. All depends on what your towing.

I replaced it with a 2011 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L sr5 4x4. I didn't need the bigger truck at the time, but I've since began towing on a regular basis, between car haulers and my 28' RV it does great. No way I could have handled this weight with the 1st gen.

Worth considering the 2nd gen if your handling any considerable weight.

The weight that I mostly tow is always below 5,000lbs, so an easy task for the first gen truck - the Taco I had did it pretty easily. I do like the 2nd gen truck, but for what I need it's north of what I'm willing to spend on it. Besides, I have my '14 Dodge 1500 - that 5.7L will yank a 7,500lb trailer like it's not even back there. Hard to believe how far half ton trucks have evolved in the last 10yrs or so. So far, looked at 2 different 1st gen Tundra extra cabs - both were total garbage. Last one has a frame that is failing miserably. Yesterday, just for giggles I looked at an '03 4Runner V8 Limited - and bought it. Still very tight, very well maintained and has 183k on the clock. The 4.7L pulls like an animal - it really feels like a shrunken 80 series, honestly. In the bigger picture, I need it for work. Something that has to haul myself and all the junk I need to do my job - the 4Runner in some ways is a bit cramped compared to a full size truck, but it has plenty of cargo room when the rear seats are folded and rarely does anyone else ride with me other than the old German Shepherd co-pilot I have.

For the last year I've driven the Dodge to work - it's a pain in the butt when we work on the highways, honestly. It's almost too big and all my stuff has to live in the bed inside of a topper. Doable, but many times it makes it tough to get around with traffic and places to park it. I think the 4Runner will do very well in those places, lot easier to get into places to park it out of the way and this one is a full-time 4wd with center diff lock - perfect for what I need. After all, it needs to be a daily driver for work - and my stuff takes a beating doing that. I really considered another Cruiser or even a Sequoia, but the fuel mileage becomes a factor with the distances I drive at times - those don't average much better than the old 40 series did in most cases.

I do appreciate the insight and help - this forum has always been such wealth of info. Btw, if anyone sees a decent looking '03 Tundra extra cab that is a medium gray outside and 187k on the clock for sale - avoid it like the plague. It's off the dealer's site, probably headed back to the auction and will show up somewhere else.

Sarge

The only reason I had considered a "beater" sort of pickup was one with just an open bed or roll up tonneau cover. My Dodge has a heavy Jason topper on it, fully wired for lighting and power ports, not so easy to remove. If I've had to haul in the past, just hooked up the trailer and went with it that way - it works, but sort of a pain. A Tundra would give an open bed, especially with a soft tonneau. Pretty surprised how much room is in this 4Runner when the rear seats are folded down - lot bigger back there than it looks. This one has the multi-level trays as well as a cargo net from Toyota they threw in with the truck, going to use that a lot for daily chores/errands plus it's work duty. I have to carry a lot of crap no matter what time of year, so the room inside and having the huge rear hatch as a weather shield will work good. Plus, a rear power window w/defogger...starting to feel a little spoiled here, lol.

I loved my old 40 - automatic grin on your face as soon as that big six roared to life. Lot of grins per mile, waves from everyone and a lot thumbs up - plus all the questions everywhere it went. Not many up in the Salt Belt here, so folks notice it really quick. Never thought I'd like anything from the 900 shades of gray, but this 4Runner is really quickly growing on me - and it's pretty darn sharp to boot.

Sarge

Have you considered the '05-'07? They have something like 50 hp more and a 5 speed instead of a 4 speed. Plus, a cdl switch that works just like the 7 pin mod on the 80 series, if that matters to you.
I would like to know more about the this CDL switch your talking about. I just got a 2006 and wouldlike to set it up to work like the 7 pin mod on the 80 series. Thanks Brosky

I would like to know more about the this CDL switch your talking about. I just got a 2006 and wouldlike to set it up to work like the 7 pin mod on the 80 series. Thanks Brosky
Sequoia had a locking center diff on 05-07 (possibly 03-04 as well) using the atrac system to control power to all wheels. Not sure the tundra had a lockable center diff though to be able to do this mod

Sequoia had a locking center diff on 05-07 (possibly 03-04 as well) using the atrac system to control power to all wheels. Not sure the tundra had a lockable center diff though to be able to do this mod
Thank you for your reply, The original poster was asking about 1 Gen Tundras. I guess Dindu Nuffin did not comprehend that. Did the 05-07 Sequoia really have 50 more HP ? I know that the 05-06 tundra V8 had more HP then earlier models 37-26 respectively.

Thank you for your reply, The original poster was asking about 1 Gen Tundras. I guess Dindu Nuffin did not comprehend that. Did the 05-07 Sequoia really have 50 more HP ? I know that the 05-06 tundra V8 had more HP then earlier models 37-26 respectively.
VVTi 2uz engines vs earlier 2uz, vvti increased by 50hp, 05-07 sequoia also went to a 5 speed from previous 4 speed tranny

VVTi 2uz engines vs earlier 2uz, vvti increased by 50hp, 05-07 sequoia also went to a 5 speed from previous 4 speed tranny
I found this on Wikipedia. Just sayin, Thanks for replying to my posts
1580403798196.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom