Head gasket finally died (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rrolacedmy distributor o ring today and after buttoning everything I was getting ready to take it for a cruise and found coolant in the driveway. Traced it to the headgasket next to the egr delete. Praying something else was the culprit I checked every hose I could see in that area. At this point I'm 95% sure it's the headgasket. I can't think of anything besides heater hoses that far back. Guess it's tiime to rebuild the head and replace the head gasket.

What other irregular signs have manifested?

The PHH hose is in that general area. It also has a neighbor (No 2 Bypass hose I think. Both are pretty well hidden.

It's further back .I could see it. It's directly below the egr pipe.

What other irregular signs have manifested?
Nothing else. Still runs great. But I know they are prone to failing in that area and it looks as though collant is slowly leaking from there. Unless something higher up is leaking and running down .the only hose I haven't replaced is the one that runs to the TB. IllI look it over tomorrow in the light

After driving it around town its not leaking anymore. Maybe it sealed off when it warmed up. I'll check it out in the morning when it's cold

The comman head gasket failure is internal between the water Journal And #6 cylinder.
My guess is a hose.

The comman head gasket failure is internal between the water Journal And #6 cylinder.
My guess is a hose.
I'm planning on rebuilding the head in February anyways so I'll just drive it and keep an eye on it

Maybe your heater valve is bad and leaking down on back of engine?
It's not. It's less than 2 months old .I felt around on all hoses and they are dry. But it's so hard to see in there. Who knows.

Unless you have the money saved up to do this job, I'd make dam SURE that the head gasket has failed BEFORE i started taking things apart.

It’s about time. Lol, but seriously I second a hose.

But what do I know your 95% sure. Maybe when you replaced your distributor O ring you shoved the distributor to hard into the head and blew up you headgasjet.

OMG..... you need a mechanic.

It’s about time. Lol, but seriously I second a hose.

But what do I know your 95% sure. Maybe when you replaced your distributor O ring you shoved the distributor to hard into the head and blew up you headgasjet.

OMG..... you need a mechanic.
You are right. You obviously have a better view of where it is leaking over the internet. All I know is what I actually saw with my own eyes which was coolant leaking from the back of the engine in a slow drip that appeared to be originating from between the head and the block directly below the EGR outlet. However it doesn't have any symptoms of a hg leak. It did stop leaking once warm which doesn't really act like a hose. I have also replaced every hose on the truck except for the hose that goes to the TB. My hope is that it is a hose but I saw the coolant leaking from between the block and the head. It is very possible that coolant is running down the head somewhere that i can't see or feel but I checked all heater hoses up against the fire wall and all seem fine. But maybe one is loose and randomly leaking which is why i said 95%. What do i know. My assumption was it has a slow leak from the HG that is noticeable when the engine is cold and seals when it warms up and everything expands but I am still hopeful it's something minor.

But i think most people on here are correct. Odds are it is the phh that needs to be tightened. I replaced it last year but it's probably leaking and needs tightened.

Here is pic for reference. I actually forgot how close that phh is to the firewall but luckily I remember how much fun it is to work on. I bet it is the culprit.

20181210_043738.jpg

For all my love for Toyota, Who ever though to put the PHH there should be shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Nah...I'm sticking with headgasket. Your screwed
Bahh Humbug!

Last edited:
Get in there with tons of light and take some good pictures + post them. It should be obvious (coolant residue) where its coming from but its too difficult to guess without inspecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom