New BFG KM3. Thoughts? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DigDug-KM3 (2).JPG

DigDug-KM3 (7).JPG

I'm a little on the fence with these new KM3's for me.

Purchased a set of 315/75 16's for the 80 series a week or so ago. They replaced my BFG KM's of many years in the same size. I thought I was imagining things after install, but they didn't seem as tall as the KM's and the tread depth was less than the original KM's (18/32 v 20/32, I still have a brand new KM as a spare so I had a reference). Not sure if it was just tread appearance on the height and width or actual #'s, but according to some specs they are just a touch shorter than the original KM's and the KM2's. (34.6 vs 34.8).

They are a very smooth tire, I will say that. Granted my old KM's were a tad old (15 years), I am sure they were as crusty as I am.

My biggest complaint right now, which is actually pretty substantial for me, is their weight. Anyone with an non-geared 80 Series knows we need all the help we can get. I have always been "okay" with the KM's regarding power and feel. The new KM3's are significantly heavier (as they should be since they are a "E" rated tire versus the KM/KM2 "D" rated tires). I am seeing (depending on the spec sheet I find), they are anywhere from 7 to 9 lbs heavier per corner and boy do I feel it and to be frank, not really digging it. I've only driven about 50 miles on them so far and I am pondering taking Discount Tire up on their "if you're not happy - bring em back" policy and seeing if they can get me the KM2's which I see are still floating around at a few places. It's kind of a shame, as I am sure the compound is a bit improved with the 3's over the 2's (at least so I think), they seemed to perform really well in a snow storm some days ago, but I am not sure I can deal with the extra weight/rotational mass hit of these E loads. I haven't needed to re-gear for 15 years, I'd rather not now.

My .02.

20181116_105653.jpg

20181116_105726.jpg

Wow. That’s is amazing though how you can get thrown off like that.

My TRD Pro ....went from C rated 265s to D rated 285s and it was a real big hit. I know the feeling.

I’m surprised a 7-9 lbs increase is noticeable.

I regeared my transfer case with the 10% under drive gear set and the 315/75/16s feel just right. But then again I also went from factory steelies that weigh ~40 pounds with 285/75/16 to oe alloys that weigh ~20 each on the 315s. Both setups were about 98 pounds per corner.

I did some pretty slick mud yesterday in my FJ45 and needed to stay high up on a road to keep from slipping into a deep rut and I was really impressed with the sidehill traction of the KM3

bcsteel where did you get those 16" steelies?

I picked them up from a guy down south of me. A buddy of mine d just bought a new set from Toyota this summer as well.

ok thanks part number appreciated if you got it

I don’t have a part number. I’ll try to dig it up for you. I’m in camp and back on 24th it’ll have to wait until then

Question about KM3’s. Looks to me like they may have a directional tread pattern, and some may have theirs mounted in the wrong direction? Here are two examples, the fj60 looks correct to me, and the fj40 would be backwards? If there is a direction, maybe that would explain why some do not like the performance, noise etc.
upload_2019-1-3_20-22-50.jpeg

upload_2019-1-3_20-23-17.jpeg

Both look good, just wondering which way to mount mine that I received today?

I got my KM3s mounted up last night and drove my 80 to work today. They are so quiet on the road and roll very smoothly. I probably won't have a chance to take them off road until the fall but so far road manners are very good.

View attachment 1733261
What size are these KM3s?

Question about KM3’s. Looks to me like they may have a directional tread pattern, and some may have theirs mounted in the wrong direction? Here are two examples, the fj60 looks correct to me, and the fj40 would be backwards? If there is a direction, maybe that would explain why some do not like the performance, noise etc.
View attachment 1869607
View attachment 1869608
Both look good, just wondering which way to mount mine that I received today?

Damn I never noticed that.

My 45 has them one way and my 60 the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom