What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven’t been able to sleep since I saw @Javelin post photos of his new hood insulator. Ended up getting mine too. Can’t believe Toyota still carries them and the clips.

E9C6742D-3318-43B9-BE32-36B75B117261.jpeg

433C991E-5C66-45BA-B4D9-BCC805E37A05.jpeg

23D044BF-586B-493B-B894-48DF74D64BC7.jpeg

9D6877F7-DE5C-405F-8447-CFF5BC691C67.jpeg

DE60B295-655D-43CC-9F77-B8BBC6C4D533.jpeg

Louise has been very difficult to start in the cold weather...as in sometimes taking 15-20 minutes and a hundred pumps of the pedal.

Finally took a look at the carb...pulled the choke all the way out and the butterfly would sometimes move, sometimes not. When it did move, it would only close about half way. Choke cable had been broken and frayed at the connection to the carb. A prior owner had "fixed" the connection with a screw and nut.

Installed new choke cable from City Racer...adjusted once. Let it sit overnight in the cold. Walked out the next morning, pulled choke, 5 pumps of the gas pedal and she fired right up. Super pleased!

* I would post a pic of the disturbing choke cable, but I venture to guess everyone in this thread has seen one...

Started it up. Let it warm up and run for 15 minutes. Shut down to return to winter slumber. Need to get some more mothballs to keep the mices away

Ok, got the hood insulator bug after seeing a post. This one was hard to hide from wifey. Had to call home and have my son take it to the 3rd bay so she did not find it on the front doorstep. Had the truck a year and this is one of my favorite upgrades. Considering the old one had a hole in it with grass hanging out of it (mouse home I guess), it really cleaned it up.
FJ60Hoodinsulator2.JPG

FJ60Hoodinsulator.JPG

Starting fabricating cargo panels for the rear. I plan on making these for a few friends as well. Made a template to keep in house then I'll be able to make them out of ABS plastic, veneered wood or ranger board which is basically a strong type MDF. So the one in photos I am installing in mine. I am using a nice Walnut veneer and plan on making an inset box for my inverter along with a latched panel door to store more stuff in the sides. I also plan on insulating/ sound proofing the interior and removing the ribs beforehand. Just wanted to post a picture of the beginning stages. Plan on doing both sides then I will be making a center console out of a hardwood. Sort of like the Tuffy but my own touches.

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

Anything else in that 89? I need a few things and I'm also in Portland.

unfortunately - the seller had the rest sold to a buyer coming up from northern cali with a flatbed.

sad story...the FJ62 slammed into a fire truck that made a wide right turn and crossed in front of the cruiser...cruiser hit the firetruck. demolished the front end...and it STILL ran and drove.

these trucks are tough - but the firetruck won. buyer wanted the entire engine/trans to put into an FJ40...so the rest is gone.

i sent a txt message to the seller that if the flatbed deal falls through to let me know and i'll pass along contact info.

C18AF0B4-68AE-4B9A-9221-077729F3430E.jpeg
Spent several hours lengthening the wiring harness for my 5.3 install. Howell harness comes up a little short when installed under front passenger seat. Phew! Glad it is all done, hated having a lump right under the passengers feet. Most have been close to 75 wires!

My OME suspension is only 12,000 miles but 10 years old. I thought it might be a good idea to change the bushings.

I’d say so. They crumbled.

C923B0B6-6C02-4E5F-95E0-E7B36076DB44.jpeg

25D57CA7-1F08-4FEC-9780-527231652FE8.jpeg

All better now.

How many of you have had to sawsall a rod in half when it's installed in an engine?!? Take a good look at the grenaded engine: the rod you can see was connected to a piston that had welded itself to the block. You can't access the flywheel bolts to remove the bell housing or clutch without being able to turn the crank. It was a gamble that only that piston was welded up, but I was running out of ideas. Luckily after cutting that rod I was able to turn that 46mm crank nut with a long old cheater bar. In the other photos you can see the next engine bolted up to the tranny. I've got some parts, like headers, off the grenaded engine I'll post up elsewhere in case you see something you'll need.

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

I got tired of items placed on my console sliding off every time I stopped a bit hard or went around a corner, so I cut down a neoprene mouse pad to sit inside the console top tray and glued it down with adhesive spray glue. The mouse pad came from Office Depot, and when inserted cloth side (top) down, the color is almost an exact match for the charcoal color of the console. The only drawbackis that it cuts down on tray depth significantly. I'll report later how well it works in keeping items from sliding off.

After that was done, I attempted to install the rear hatch struts I ordered and received earlier this week. I say attempted because I was only half-way successful. I was able to remove the driver's side strut very easily, and replacement with the Stabilus strut on that side was easily completed. However, the passenger side strut would not budge at all, and I didn't have a cutoff wheel to attempt a technique described in other posts here. So, the bad news is that I've got more work to get the passenger strut off before I can install the new strut on that side. The good news is that the hatch stays open without any sagging with the replacement of just one of the old struts.

Are you ready for some football... :rofl:
added a football mask to the front differential.
F55DBFA5-FC50-42F1-8B12-BEFE98E94E2D.jpeg

Installed the OME add a leaf to my spring pack.
2AA39657-E420-427E-89FC-4C99B03A0768.jpeg

72CAA757-0C8B-4DA0-A81C-EB826FCD985B.jpeg

Painted the front axle... again. Used heat pressure washer to clean the front knuckles, brakes, rotors and calipers.
45E19011-71D7-4101-B843-24EA64CFF750.jpeg

Owe and got our family Christmas tree in the Oregon Cascades.
18812A68-0757-4B60-BAB5-AE741897ACAC.jpeg

How many of you have had to sawsall a rod in half when it's installed in an engine?!? Take a good look at the grenaded engine: the rod you can see was connected to a piston that had welded itself to the block. You can't access the flywheel bolts to remove the bell housing or clutch without being able to turn the crank. It was a gamble that only that piston was welded up, but I was running out of ideas. Luckily after cutting that rod I was able to turn that 46mm crank nut with a long old cheater bar. In the other photos you can see the next engine bolted up to the tranny. I've got some parts, like headers, off the grenaded engine I'll post up elsewhere in case you see something you'll need.

View attachment 1850853

View attachment 1850854

View attachment 1850855

View attachment 1850856
Are you going to sell the harmonic balancer? I have a friend seeking one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom