Summit smoothies wheels... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where do you get the cap to fit the wheel vintique for 10 Dollars?

Where do you get the cap to fit the wheel vintique for 10 Dollars?

I bought a couple of sets but I can't fugure out where a box is to see the brand. I dont think I paid more than $12 each but I sure can't find any while searching now.

Speedway motors has them for $15 each.
I kinda think the brand I found the cheapest was Mr Gasket, but not sure.

Part of the reason this all stalled for me was total cost and just making it work right. It would be a greay DIY project tho. Just have to tig weld the modified factory cap to the cut off smoothie cap. The ones I have on my 40 now are really easy to snap off which concerns me but maybe it was the smoothie caps I had gotten. I still intend to make a nicer set eventually.

Did anyone confirm whether the 3.5 inch backspacing was better or worse than the 4 inch on the 16x7? This may be a cheaper alternative for me than going with a $1300 set that has to be shipped from Japan.

Did anyone confirm whether the 3.5 inch backspacing was better or worse than the 4 inch on the 16x7? This may be a cheaper alternative for me than going with a $1300 set that has to be shipped from Japan.

You can definitely do either. 3.5 fits better for sure but the cost is higher and the wheel center is reversed to make it work. It doesn't look quite as "stock". I pulled my 3.5's to run 4" bs wheels. They hit in the relay rod on a hard left but I still need to adjust the clamp out of the way. This will help, probably still hit but I can handle that. The cap issue is there but you definitely can mod a factory cap to work.

My current setup is drums all around, will this make a difference?

My current setup is drums all around, will this make a difference?

You should be fine. I think the original concern was with interference with the tie rod and 4" back space but the increased diameter solves that

Awesome, thanks! Great thread, great forum as usual. I think I'll buy one and see what I think.

May be a stupid idea, but I wonder if rare earth magnets would be strong enough to hold the caps in place.

I might as well update what I know now. I haven't done much other than think on the cap solution. I kept thinking I had to roll a bead in the stainless band to make it work right. I now think that it would be a lot easier to weld on a ring of stainless wire around the band to make the lip for snapping into the wheel. I don't have the parts here at my shop today but I will try to grab what I need and make another sample soon.

The caps I make quickie like have survived fine so far on my 40, but they really still need to be better than they are.

(also need to post my 3.5" bs 16x7 smoothie wheels up in classifieds as I don't need them now)
I was just curious if you were still working on a center cap solution for the Wheel Vintiques smoothie style wheels? I'd just bought a set of 16x7 with 4" backspacing along with some new tires and would love a set to complete the look!

I really need to but haven't gotten anywhere. I can at least walk you through how to get it done. It would look cool

I really need to but haven't gotten anywhere. I can at least walk you through how to get it done. It would look cool
I would appreciate that...I was kinda hoping maybe you were onto a newer version , or newer prototype and maybe you'd would sell me your old ones, ha, ha! Man I'm sure if somebody produced these they'd sell the heck out of them!

I've never tig welded, but maybe I could hire that part out. What style caps do I need to get that fit smoothie style wheels? Thanks.

I would appreciate that...I was kinda hoping maybe you were onto a newer version , or newer prototype and maybe you'd would sell me your old ones, ha, ha! Man I'm sure if somebody produced these they sell the heck out of them!

I've never tig welded, but maybe I could hire that part out. What style caps do I need to get that fit smoothie style wheels? Thanks.
The part to fit on the smoothie cap is this

Then you have to cut out the dome.

On the oem cap you have to cut out the raised ridge then weld the two together. Both are stainless steel (the smoothie cap is listed as chrome but it is polished stainless).

I know I found those caps for less $$ but I sure can't figure out where. The Summit ones give you the idea though. I'll do my best to at least provide pictures and info

I'd be up for this too. I'm restoring a rust free '83 Hilux long bed that was presented to me. It has the non hub cap wheel but I prefer the cap. The 15 X 5.5 wide are a tick skinny but I'd really prefer 16x7.

What type of lug nuts is everyone running with the smoothies? I'd like to go with a "capped" or enclosed style to mitigate the great Northeast exposure...but I'm unsure if a cone seat is suitable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom