1st gen pickup grille/7” round lights installed on 1st gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr

SILVER Star
Threads
After recently buying an ‘88 4Runner on the cheap, I decided the Dodge looking grille and Jeep XJ head lights had to go. They’ve always been my biggest dislike about the 1st gen 4runners. On the flip side I have always loved the 79-81 pick ups with their grilles and round headlights.

With my 4runner being in less than pristine shape, and me not being quite a “keep it original” person, I decided it was time to change it up.

Here’s the grille I had. I’ve noticed there are some variations out there, but this one is my least favorite. You can see all the distortion in my front bumper. Pushed in and up in places and overall not uniform.

92FD8086-3B23-4655-A5C3-B25D4159F4BE.jpeg

First off I began searching for an aftermarket grille. No way did I want a used one of questionable quality with aged plastic...and I sure as heck wasn’t going to pay $100-200 for one.

I found a ‘79 grille somewhere for about $40 but they refunded me and said it was out of stock. I kept looking off and on until I decided to search for ‘80 and ‘81 grilles. They are the same but figured maybe someplace has it listed under a different year.

Anyways, I lucked out and after applying a coupon code, I had a grille on the way from Auto parts warehouse for $36.

“Installing” the grille was fairly easy. The top two middle mounts (screw and clip) line up with the 4runner’s mounts. So I installed those. Then for the outside mounts I ran zip ties in the cleanest manner possible. There are also zip ties securing the outside bottom mounts. The grille is rock solid but I still don’t like the idea of zip ties so I’ll be changing this up some day in the future if I go about doing s full respray and decide to add metal where it’s needed.

DA03F24E-D803-4D2A-8171-CB5DE1915836.jpeg

48EF28EB-5B92-4E46-BE3E-B3E5C519226D.jpeg

0842DC6D-E466-4907-BABD-586B0F892A60.jpeg

I did have to cut the mount on the back of the grille off as it was interfering with the AC drier. I also cut the full panel behind the front bumper. If you have a pristine front bumper or aftermarket bumper this might not need to be done, but my front bumper is bent in every direction so I made two relief cuts and folded it down and out of the way.

Here is it contacting
154DB0A1-3727-4669-B7D6-9E04A2454D8D.jpeg

No issues whatsoever in the week of driving with it zip tied on. I wanted to go round headlights when I put the grille in, but had no way to secure the lights. Several Jeep XJ owners waving at me sped up my desire to get round headlights on.

EF7F3F7D-A904-4FF1-80D0-E690A244BE68.jpeg

I searched around for a bit and stumbled across Dorman 42408 7” universal headlight retaining rings on amazon. $22 later and they were on the way.

The driver’s side installed perfectly and just how I wanted. I wouldn’t be opposed to having the headlights stick further out, but I will need to space the factory headlight buckets out or make custom ones.

I used two of the old short screws on the top and then one long supplied screw to snug it all together on the bottom right. It took about 10-15 minutes to figure out the orientation to get the most screw holes to line up while also keeping the headlight happy in the housing. I did have to play with the tabs slightly.

9ACD0D3E-7EFD-48CC-A4BA-BA363DFD2F4D.jpeg

E8654210-8212-4C67-8962-671B42044A02.jpeg

Now the passenger side is a little different. The tabs orient the light closer to the corner light on the driver’s side, but on the passenger side, they push the light closer into the grille. It’s only about 3/8” and doesn’t block any light, but it kind of bugs me. It would have been amazing if all the tabs had been mirrored across a vertical plane, but not wanting to break out the welder today, I left it be.

I was able to finagle it slightly more towards the corner light than this picture shows but it gives you the idea.

D8E586C6-96B5-4940-9E3A-D094967C140A.jpeg

From 12’ away, the original lights were dim on the garage door and this thing was sketch to drive at night to say the least.

5F1371BE-CDEB-4A80-AEE2-9A27249A07E0.jpeg

Here it is from the same distance with some nice Hella’s. Output is night and day different. The low beams are more light the old high beams, and these actually throw light into the ditches as well.

210853B7-D80E-4AFF-B7A9-14D01122EE50.jpeg

6F79D964-26CD-42D4-95BB-42556050C5E0.jpeg

FEB56FAC-0C10-4AC9-BCAE-01BFD34F39CB.jpeg

All in all, for less than $60 *which is less than what I’ve seen the oem emblems for the grille going for* and a couple hours of work, I’d say it was money and time well spent, but due to my mangled front bumper and quick need to use the stock headlight buckets I am not completely satisfied with the overall install. As time goes on, I’m sure I’ll revisit the mounting positions and maybe even design and print some ABS surrounds that make the front end flow from corner light to grille.

Last edited:
Looks awesome. I wonder if you could get 1st gen pick-up headlight surrounds to fit around those lights.

Looks awesome. I wonder if you could get 1st gen pick-up headlight surrounds to fit around those lights.

I’m fairly certain they will not work due to how they go up into the hood. Not to mention I think they have the corner lights integrated. I’m hoping whatever I come up with, I can incorporate turn signals into something below the headlights so they aren’t in the bumper

I realize your project had two objectives. Get rid of the rectangular headlights and install round, and the "Dodge" grill. Why didn't you just go with the 84-86 grill which would have taken care of the Dodge issue?

I realize your project had two objectives. Get rid of the rectangular headlights and install round, and the "Dodge" grill. Why didn't you just go with the 84-86 grill which would have taken care of the Dodge issue?

I prefer this grille over the 84-86 and just wanted to see if it could be done...and I think that grille molds into the headlight surrounds shape where this is a nice vertical edge. Granted the install is pretty unprofessional and all this was done on the quick.

Last edited:
I prefer this grille over the 84-86 and just wanted to see if it could be done. Granted the install is pretty unprofessional and all this was done on the quick.

Well, my factory grill is held on with zip ties. I’m not a professional though so it suits!

Well, my factory grill is held on with zip ties. I’m not a professional though so it suits!

Haha honestly zip ties might be better than the fragile plastic clips. I was surprised it was all clipped on versus screwed/bolted like a cruiser. I thought plastic clips were more of a newer car thing.

I've seen a few people use an FJ Cruiser grill on pickups/4Runners, but the older grill is a unique option as well.

FJ Cruiser Hilux.jpg

I've seen a few people use an FJ Cruiser grill on pickups/4Runners, but the older grill is a unique option as well.

View attachment 1825815

Interesting. I have never seen that. Not quite sure how I feel about it.

I put my $50 soft top on yesterday. Turns out it is a canback. Wish the P.O. hadn’t leak sealed and spray painted it but $50 is $50.

404C98F0-9600-41B0-AD67-C39D978AC54B.jpeg

It's hard to tell from that picture, but I'd expect it was doved at least somewhat.

Here are a couple more - less "finished" than the first one. I thought I had a picture saved of another one that was "finished" rather than just slapped on, but I cannot find it.
FJ Cruiser Hilux 002.jpg
FJ Cruiser Hilux 003.jpg

$50 for a Canback is a steal...like a tie-them-up-and-rob-them-blind steal.

$50 for a Canback is a steal...like a tie-them-up-and-rob-them-blind steal.

Yeah going into it I didn’t care what it was, but knew I couldn’t build a frame for $50. Ironically, I paid more for the 4 tires and mount/balance than I did for the 4runner and canback. Not too many people can say that. I’m pretty fortunate to have been in the right places at the right time.

I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty jealous! If I give you some money, will you buy some lotto tickets for me? I promise to give you a decent percentage on the winnings. ;)

I've been feening for a 1st gen 4runner for a while but I don't want to get rid of the 80 to do it. It looks like getting a good deal like this would let me have both!

Also, when are you going to start a build thread on this bad boy? Wait, no, disregard. Your build threads get me into a lot of trouble.

And how's the gas mileage going on that thing? It's got to be better than the 80, right? As I recall, my automatic 86 would get around 19 in town with 31's. Definitely better than the 10 - 12 I get with the 80.

Also, when are you going to start a build thread on this bad boy? Wait, no, disregard. Your build threads get me into a lot of trouble.

And how's the gas mileage going on that thing? It's got to be better than the 80, right? As I recall, my automatic 86 would get around 19 in town with 31's. Definitely better than the 10 - 12 I get with the 80.

Haha I actually have started a build thread on ExPo just to chronicle the work. I may do something here on mud if I really start to “build” it, but I haven’t decided.

It’s doing a lot better on gas than the cruiser which has been awesome! The best I’ve seen was 21mpg over a 50-60 mile highway drive. This was its first drive so I was being careful and keeping it under 70. Ripping through the gears has just about worn off so I’d expect to start getting better mileage. Lately, my driving style has been spirited to say the least.

I’ve seen as low as 14mpg hauling bikes off the back, soft top on, and pushing 75-80 in the wind rushing to get home from a trip. That’s not great but considering how the 80 would have probably done single digits in that wind, I’m not complaining!

Just for hauling bikes around and quick rips around town it’s a blast. Longer highway drives with the top on get a little annoying between the sound coming through the firewall and the sounds reverberating around in the back with no side panels or sound deadening. And the 22RE lacks a little in highway driving, but not as bad as the cruiser.

After recently buying an ‘88 4Runner on the cheap, I decided the Dodge looking grille and Jeep XJ head lights had to go. They’ve always been my biggest dislike about the 1st gen 4runners.

For some reason, I seem to be ok with them...

BBB28BF7-BBB6-46E1-A3AB-350DBF04D1F0.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom