If you're using a WIX oil filter read this (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How is this?
The only unit I could find for sale (didn’t contact you) under $30 was a new old stock filter in a box that appeared to be several years old.

There is a Baldwin filter in that size that delivers stellar performance at least a good, but most likely better, than the large toyota filter for $15.

The only unit I could find for sale (didn’t contact you) under $30 was a new old stock filter in a box that appeared to be several years old.

There is a Baldwin filter in that size that delivers stellar performance at least a good, but most likely better, than the large toyota filter for $15.

Lol

That has to be the most useless non-answer I have seen on MUD.

That has to be the most useless non-answer I have seen on MUD.
Why should anyone pay $30+ for an oil filter, especially when performance specs are not published, and a great filter that does have published specs is available for half the price?

Why should anyone pay $30+ for an oil filter, especially when performance specs are not published, and a great filter that does have published specs is available for half the price?
Billions.jpg

So, the current Napa gold filters #1515 say mann+Hummel and made in USA on them. Are these the potential culprits as well? I "tested" the plastic valve in mine, and it moves freely. I guess I will order some Toyota ones, just in case.

Mann+Hummel is the parent company for Wix. They purchased Wix a while back. Napa gold filters are made by Wix. I recently had to buy a Napa gold hydraulic filter for my wood splitter and cringed when I did it. Wix is pure s*** as a product and as a company. Did nothing when this happened to me shortly before I started this thread. Bad part is their filters are made less than 2 hours from my house.

Well, you all scared me now. Went to a local dealer today and walked out the door with 2 new oem oil filters. $11.78 for both after tax. Funny, since the napa golds were still over $7 on sale if I remember correctly.
if people are willing to source and pay for the big 1010 filters, how come no one seems to be running the TRD (PTR43-00080) filters?
And, how different are the little oem ones from the "oem" Denso one that rockauto has for $3.16 each?
So many questons; I'm going to go start another "which oil/filter should I use" thread. :doh:

im glad i read this post. I was a Wix fan for many years but after the BS the OP had to deal with ...im over it. Going with the D3

Digging this back up. Curious to know if any of those that had problems got any compensation?

I too ran NAPA gold for years due to thinking they were superior. I no longer have my 80 but will switch over to Toyota for my GX470 aka Prado ;)

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread, did not realize there were so many regarding WIX oil filters..

Just had this happen to me today 9/12/19... Drove off from the house headed into town and everything was good, oil pressure nice and high, etc... 2-3 miles down the road I looked down and the oil pressure gauge was bottomed out. I thought 'great, my sender is shot or something.. ' Shortly later it shot up a little and back down... Turned around and went back home and read a few MUD articles and changed the oil and Wix filter that was on it (1500 miles) and VOILA!! Pressure back to normal. Hoping it did not do anything to screw up the motor, hard to tell since I am half deaf... NO MORE WIX for me.

I posted this in another thread, did not realize there were so many regarding WIX oil filters..

Just had this happen to me today 9/12/19... Drove off from the house headed into town and everything was good, oil pressure nice and high, etc... 2-3 miles down the road I looked down and the oil pressure gauge was bottomed out. I thought 'great, my sender is shot or something.. ' Shortly later it shot up a little and back down... Turned around and went back home and read a few MUD articles and changed the oil and Wix filter that was on it (1500 miles) and VOILA!! Pressure back to normal. Hoping it did not do anything to screw up the motor, hard to tell since I am half deaf... NO MORE WIX for me.

Cut that bad boy open and let's see the inside of that bad filter.

It's not just WIX filters that might be poorly constructed. I had installed
a FRAM ?Tough Guard filter a year ago as it was on the shelf (got it free
and am too cheap to toss it out). I had already drained out the oil and couldn't go buy something else, figured I would replace it soon anyway.

But it got forgotten and a year had past then I started noticing the oil pressure
needle shooting above the top line then sometimes dropping down
to the usual range,, never saw that before with any viscosity oil in this engine. Checked the connections to the oil pressure sender, all good.

Changed the oil, same viscosity, and installed a Purolator BOSS filter,
pressure was back to normal. So I figure the internal bypass valve of the
Fram filter must have been failing causing the higher than normal pressure due to complete bypass of the filter??

FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom