Non winch owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bambino840

Jive Turkey
SILVER Star
Threads
smittybuilt 9500 lbs winches at Nsor $311 on sale. Are you kitten me?

But when it dies, you have to ship it to North Van to get it fixed? or just know that any shi&%ybuilt is gonna die and you got your $300 worth of value out of it.

But when it dies, you have to ship it to North Van to get it fixed? or just know that any shi&%ybuilt is gonna die and you got your $300 worth of value out of it.

to be fair I think most winches now are Chinese made even the 8274.

I wasn't commenting on the country of origin, I hold smittybuilt in the same regards as powerfist in the use once and it breaks, return it and repeat. I would buy a smittybuilt winch from 4wheel parts, and buy their lifetime warranty and know that I am going to use that warranty without guilt.

to be fair I think most winches now are Chinese made even the 8274.

I believe only the Warn VR and Zeon series are made in china. The mighty 8274 (and M12, M15, M16.5, xp...) are still made in the US.

I’ve been with smittybuilt winch owners. Been on the end of there line more than once. I honestly couldn’t say a bad thing about them. So far, just as reliable as the others. I will say though that I have had personal issues with warn.

I think any winch is better than none.

I believe only the Warn VR and Zeon series are made in china. The mighty 8274 (and M12, M15, M16.5, xp...) are still made in the US.

can't comment on the m, when I was looking at buying one and iirc the production line for the 8274 had something weird about they were mostly made or assembled in China and then there was a quality control or minor assembly in the us. I may be wrong

I would definitely install a winch over not having one. I have had runva, ramsey, warn M8000, warn 8274 and at some point each have all let me down. They have each also dragged me out of a situation. In fact, my warn M8000 on my minitruck didnt work the last time I tried to drag a dead truck into the garage. I should get around to fixing that.

I have an M 8000 and its a miserable pig to unspool. On fluffy I have an older xd 9000 warn. Also miserable pig. Sold an M12000 from the 81 write off, again miserable pig. Maybe to be happy I should just run a 2500 lbs winch. Couldnt get anybody out but I could unspool it without complaining. :)

I have an M 8000 and its a miserable pig to unspool. On fluffy I have an older xd 9000 warn. Also miserable pig. Sold an M12000 from the 81 write off, again miserable pig. Maybe to be happy I should just run a 2500 lbs winch. Couldnt get anybody out but I could unspool it without complaining. :)

How come so much trouble? I've got a WARN 9500 and it has always been easy to free spool.
Got a question - Did you ever 'stretch' the wire before you ever used it? Kinda like unkinking an
electrical cord. If you don't wind it out, tug it a bit, spin it and unkink it before you ever use it, it will
be a birds nest forever. It should free spool out, and lay perfectly flat and straight. Just my thought,
FWIW

my M8000 won't free spool either, the lever/knob won't turn, and the last few times it did free spool there was a significant amount of drag.

this is making me not want to install my winch.
apparently they: are a pain to unspool/spool, all types malfunction, some don't work when you need them.

change my mind.

I think all electric winches will have those issues when used infrequently, and covered in salt on the front of our trucks.

I think all electric winches will have those issues when used infrequently, and covered in salt on the front of our trucks.

The time to deal with it is on a nice day in the driveway. Not out in the bush. It's like any tool, got
to keep it up.

The time to deal with it is on a nice day in the driveway. Not out in the bush. It's like any tool, got
to keep it up.

Haha . Thanks. That’s is for sure the problem but where I’m from we just try to keep everybody on the road. It seems like there is never enough time to get a vehicle “top notch”.

My favourite part of a trip is finding out how much scrambling everybody did to show up and what they deemed fixable on the trail if needed :)

If you saw my 60 top notch doesn’t come to mind. But I hate scrambling, took 8 shirts and forgot my long johns on my last trip to the Yukon. And had to buy boots in Smithers cause forgot them too.
But the truck, gotta keep that stuff up. Cold wet ass, can live with that. But walking 120 k back to Ross River, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom