Who uses GAIA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I choose to download the entire state(s) I travel in (AZ, NM, CO, UT). I have ~70 gigs of maps on my iPad as of this morning.

Makes it easy to "just go" and have fun...

I guess I should have defined "easily tell"o_O

The biggest frustration to using Gaia is not knowing what tiles are already on the device and how much needs to be downloaded before a trip.

And yes, I turn off Wi-Fi and browse areas to see if the map tiles show up - but that is more of a guessing game than I care to do.

"easily tell" to me would be if Gaia had the ability to draw an outline of the tiles already downloaded on a base map, or if I could draw an outline on the base map and Gaia would show what part of that is downloaded. Ideally Gaia would then just keep downloading tiles until the outlined area is completely downloaded, and not make me guess at how many download sets I will need to get. For example if I outline the entire state of Arizona Gaia should just keeping creating and downloading tile sets until the state is completely downloaded and not make me create 27 tile sets on my own.

That is why I have resorted to using push pins to get a rough idea of what I have downloaded on the device.

The download-along-tracks concept might be ok for travelling along major roads, but kinda bites for exploration. The whole point of having a GPS device is so I can go anywhere I have a whim to go without knowing ahead of time where that might be. I typically pull out the maps first thing in the morning and pick a destination based on what strikes my fancy. I rarely plan a three day camping trip route and actually stick to the planned roads.

I would post up on the community forum that suggestion. You do know that towards the top right of the screen there is the spinning downloading symbol. You can tap that and see if what you have requested is in progress or complete. I've just rarely faced the issue you have. Yes a few times I have forgotten to download some maps but that was my error and not the app not completing a download. A lot of times the automatic map cache has saved me there.

The bigger issue is trying to download an entire state. Most apps don't easily support this. Probably for a variety of reasons. Earthmate by Delorme does. You can download general maps of large regions but when you want the USGS topo info, the stuff I find useful, you have to zoom way in and its cumbersome to download the tiles.

I have a lot of the state downloaded but I do it in my own sections to limit the map sizes and make sure it is easy to delete sections as I see fit. I know some people have had problems when they have a large volume of maps and the app crashing. Although I have not seen that in over a year.

They seem to be making it possible to control more things on the website and then initiate in the app. Maybe at some point you will be able to pick what you want via browser and then the net time you sync it will complete the download.

I choose to download the entire state(s) I travel in (AZ, NM, CO, UT). I have ~70 gigs of maps on my iPad as of this morning.

Makes it easy to "just go" and have fun...

What's your methodology to this? Do you download large sections of one map type like USFS Raster and then move to the next map type or do you pick the layers you want and then download them as a group? I think I would keep them separate if I attempted to do this. That way as maps get updated it would be quicker to make changes. But not sure. I don't have that kind of storage capacity. Only a 64Gb iPad :)

What's your methodology to this? Do you download large sections of one map type like USFS Raster and then move to the next map type or do you pick the layers you want and then download them as a group? I think I would keep them separate if I attempted to do this. That way as maps get updated it would be quicker to make changes. But not sure. I don't have that kind of storage capacity. Only a 64Gb iPad :)

I download each layer separately. Large sections at a time. I can update as needed.

128gb iPad Pro helps for storage...

The mother of all bumps.

Gaia GPS has a new version for iOS. There are a lot of cool new features and map layers including National Geographic and now MVUMs! The app is now free with an annual subscription. I am not here to debate whether that is good or bad. All I will say is that great software costs a bit of change. I use it all the time and don't find the fees to be problematic. With that said via this link, you can get a 1 month trial of the app including the Premium features. So give it a try!

Here's the link:
Gaia GPS - iPhone and iPad

Thanks,
Chris

@1Louder - do you know if hunting game unit boundary overlays are available for Gaia? Can't seem to find them, you seem to be dialed-in here so hoping you know something I can't seem to find. thx!

@1Louder - do you know if hunting game unit boundary overlays are available for Gaia? Can't seem to find them, you seem to be dialed-in here so hoping you know something I can't seem to find. thx!

They have them but not for AZ yet. You have to be a Premium member for them as well.

They have them but not for AZ yet. You have to be a Premium member for them as well.

Thanks - that's what I'd found a while back, good to know I wasn't missing something.

Read your sig - "Turtleback.....too much crap....never enough beer"......good stuff :clap:

Just a bump and some news.

One of the head people for Gaia GPS is in town for a while. I am planning on a meet up with them probably early January. I will post up when I have more details. This will be a great opportunity to learn more about Gaia GPS and give feedback. Probably at McFate brewing because they have a really good room but we need to work out the details.

Thanks,
Chris

One of the head people for Gaia GPS is in town for a while. I am planning on a meet up with them probably early January. I will post up when I have more details. This will be a great opportunity to learn more about Gaia GPS and give feedback. Probably at McFate brewing because they have a really good room but we need to work out the details.

Thanks,
Chris

This would be awesome.

Thanks,
Chris

Please keep us posted, I'd certainly go (if what you're arranging includes room for others to participate). GAIA's the only GPS app I use but I have never really bothered to truly learn it in its entirety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom