Passenger Side Grab Bar Addition? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a nearly stock 87 FJ60. I was toying with the idea to add a OEM passenger side grab bar to the metal part of the lower dash. Was concerned that it would become a "knee knocker." Any input?

It's an excellent addition. Highly recommended. It makes it easier for smaller people to get in the passenger side too. Also you can prop stuff on it when camping. Do it.

It isn’t a knee knocker at all. Everyone who uses it enjoys it.

I wrapped mine in paracord to take some of the metal harshness away from it. It’s also nice to have the cord in an easy to access place.

I got mine from @landcruiserjunky

1879FCA7-291E-42D7-8858-256E3CD9FCD2.jpeg

When do people use this? I had something like this on my FJ45LV and didn't find it all that useful. It seems to me that an A pillar handle would be better for getting in. And to stable yourself while off-road, I find the handle above the door a better "hold on" handle. But I'd love to hear input from those that actually have these / use these.

My wife loves it when we are wheeling. Right in easy reach for her.

I added one for my wife a few months ago. She loves it. She used to complain about needing a ladder to get in, now she raves about how much easier it is with the handle.

IMG_9617-L.jpg

hmmmm, my wife is 4'11" and really likes to rant about how hard it is to get in. She is a triathlete and I try to tell her that she should look at it as part of her workout. Somehow she does not see it that way. Few questions for my 83 FJ60

1. brown interior- where would I get one
2. did these come stock on any 83FJ60s?
3. how hard are they to install? I would guess you remove your glove box to install...would be a good time to jump on the new metal glove box bandwagon. Are they sturdy??

Again, I think if you add a grab handle on the A pillar, like that on my FZJ80, is a better assist handle. And while your at it, add assist handles for the rear seat.

Grab Assist Installation

Last edited:
I did this^^^^. Works great for getting in according to my wife. I put one on the drivers side to pull myself up and it saves wear and tear on the seat edge that always breaks down.

hmmmm, my wife is 4'11" and really likes to rant about how hard it is to get in. She is a triathlete and I try to tell her that she should look at it as part of her workout. Somehow she does not see it that way. Few questions for my 83 FJ60

3. how hard are they to install? I would guess you remove your glove box to install...would be a good time to jump on the new metal glove box bandwagon. Are they sturdy??

1. They exist.
2. No, its more of a foreign market item. Mine was from AU.
3. Easy. Make some rubber insulating gaskets with an exacto knife, line it all up and drill four holes. I used 1/4-20" Stainless oval head screws, lock nuts and washers. You only need to remove the liner of the glove box.

As far as I know these are a 61 & 62 series item. You’ll need to drill the dash and install using riv-nuts or something similar.

Used from a 62 is what I did.
I bought mine with the original hardware,
As stated above you will need to drill the dash. This a good upgrade for @ $40.

While you have the drill out. I recommend installation of A pillar grab bars. Another under @$50 for both. You will need a tap/die set for this. These are still available as new OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom