Intro thread - 1997 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum and the world of FJ80's. After much searching found a 1997 LX450 with only 185k miles and in really good shape. No lockers, but it does have a built in phone! haha Being new to the FJ80 I will probably have a ton of questions and be leaning on the expertise from the members of this forum. I live in Northern UT (I can see ID from my house) and have 5 kids, hence the need for lots of seats. Hoping to build a capable trail rig for family trips and occasional excursions on lighter trails of Moab.

LX 450 driver side.jpg

LX 450 pass side.jpg

Welcome to the addiction!

I actually dig the bone stock lowered look on stock wheels. Enjoy man!!!

Welcome, :flipoff2:. Mud has more knowledge than you will ever need.

The Land Cruiser Community is a great place to meet new people and create new experiences, Enjoy.

Welcome, :flipoff2:. Mud has more knowledge than you will ever need.

The Land Cruiser Community is a great place to meet new people and create new experiences, Enjoy.
Thanks! Came across Mud during my research and knew I had to join once I found my vehicle.

Looks just like mine. Well, mine looked like that a long time ago. Now it looks like this: :)

IMG_5947.JPG

Just like mine ... welcome to MUD

20131014_170012.jpg

Congrats and remember you have an FZJ80 not an FJ80

Does the Lexus sit lower than the Toyota? Softer spring rates? That looks a lot lower than my stock TLC.

Does the Lexus sit lower than the Toyota? Softer spring rates? That looks a lot lower than my stock TLC.
From my research, the LX450 does have a softer spring rate from the factory, so it might sit lower, but I don't know for sure. All I do know is that after having it for only 8 days my wife seems to be driving it a lot! And my kids have named it Jumpy, because it reminded them of a frog. Green color maybe? Hopefully I will get a turn with it!

The LX did come with softer springs in an effort to make it more "Lexus" in ride quality. IMO it made wallow around a LOT. I swapped out my 21 yr old stock springs last year for the OME stock height kit. The ride is much firmer and it sits maybe 1" taller then the clapped out stock setup. If you are referencing Lou's pic, he clearly is running a lift. Looks like OME based on color. (Yellow = OME, Grey = Slinky, Red = Tough Dog, Teal = Dobinsons).

As far as you referencing a build, I would say the majority of members here would suggest to spend some time baselining your rig before beginning a build. Go through the cooling system, fix oil leaks, swap out the PHH and the hose next to it, get the brakes on point and adjust the LSPV so the rear brakes actually engage in something other than a panic stop situation, check your rear heater lines and decide if a delete is prudent, are the knuckles weeping, are the birfs clicking. Once you work through that laundry list you will be very familiar with your truck and likely have a much better idea on build options and how you want to use the truck. Oh, I almost forgot the head gasket, don't need to do that preemptively but just know it's out there if it hasn't been done already.

Then consult your wife and wallet, decide if your kids need college money and get started on building that truck. If you look at the pics posted by @IronCladLou and myself the trucks look similar, but there is an easy $4-5k in just parts cost on Lou's truck vs mine.

The (Yellow = OME, Grey = Slinky, Red = Tough Dog, Teal = Dobinsons).

Gold = Tough Dog
Red = Trail Tailor TourFlex (Red tapered wire coils are made exclusively for me. King in Australia builds them for me through TD)

Tough Dog-

IMG_0333.JPG

upload_2018-11-22_7-44-23.jpeg

Trail Tailor TourFlex-

img_20181018_180423_748-jpg.1813418

img_20170428_121940790-jpg.1449800

Well, nice find. The dark green looks spectacular on this body style just like on the old Land Rovers.

The LX did come with softer springs in an effort to make it more "Lexus" in ride quality. IMO it made wallow around a LOT. I swapped out my 21 yr old stock springs last year for the OME stock height kit. The ride is much firmer and it sits maybe 1" taller then the clapped out stock setup. If you are referencing Lou's pic, he clearly is running a lift. Looks like OME based on color. (Yellow = OME, Grey = Slinky, Red = Tough Dog, Teal = Dobinsons).

As far as you referencing a build, I would say the majority of members here would suggest to spend some time baselining your rig before beginning a build. Go through the cooling system, fix oil leaks, swap out the PHH and the hose next to it, get the brakes on point and adjust the LSPV so the rear brakes actually engage in something other than a panic stop situation, check your rear heater lines and decide if a delete is prudent, are the knuckles weeping, are the birfs clicking. Once you work through that laundry list you will be very familiar with your truck and likely have a much better idea on build options and how you want to use the truck. Oh, I almost forgot the head gasket, don't need to do that preemptively but just know it's out there if it hasn't been done already.

Then consult your wife and wallet, decide if your kids need college money and get started on building that truck. If you look at the pics posted by @IronCladLou and myself the trucks look similar, but there is an easy $4-5k in just parts cost on Lou's truck vs mine.
Understood. Thanks for the advice. I am mechanically inclined so not afraid to tackle the above list but have a few questions (sorry for any dumb ones:
  • What do you recommend addressing for cooling system, hoses, thermostat, fan.....?
  • What is the PHH and how do you swap it?
  • What is the LSPV and how do you adjust it?
  • Rear heater lines? Are they similar to rear A/C lines in a Suburban? Or are you referencing the heaters under the pass/driver seats?
  • The guy I bought it from had a receipts for repairs, one of which was the valve cover gasket. The shop also recommended the rear main seal and front crank seal. I can see where they are/have been leaking, but it doesn't leave any drips in my garage or driveway so should I worry about them or just be vigilant about checking oil level?
  • Head gasket, rig has 185k miles, so when should I think about changing it?
  • The antenna is broken, what are your suggestions? I hear the motor, but it doesn't move.
  • The 3rd row seats are there but the brackets underneath as well as the long arm are messed up and need replacing. Where do i find those parts, junkyard?
  • Last question (for today, haha) where is the best place for OEM parts? I have used sparks parts in SC for my 4runner in the past, but they don't really handle Lexus unless the part is identical to the Toyota.
Again, sorry for any stupid questions and thanks for any and all help! Happy Thanksgiving!

Good looking truck...spitting image of mine! LOL My 15yr old daughter :princess: named it Green Bean.

I just went through the entire cooling system and changed all the rubber lines and the thermostat.
Changed all the Vacuum lines too and deleted the EGR while I was in there.
These things are old enough to vote, and the rubber under the hood shows it.
Do a search for the PHH, its been VERY WELL documented. I deleted my steel riser tube and went with the Wit's End kit to make life easier in the future. Wits' End Solutions for 93-97 80 Series Land Cruisers

For parts, I've found there are no "one stop shops".
I have bought from: Wits End, Toyota Parts Overstock in Lakeland, my local Toyota dealer, Rock Auto, local AutoZone (they had brakes in stock) and probably half a dozen other places. The LX450 is an FZJ80, all the parts are interchangeable except the grill and head light trim.
Just upgraded to TLC shocks over the LX shocks, makes a HUGE improvement in road manners.

Antenna, go to a fixed mount if you want to ditch the power one, its a DIRT SIMPLE install. Another MUD search will reveal the "secret".

The rear heater lines are galvanized steel and on mine were just about rotted out, caught them just in time. They are between the cats and the passenger floor boards under some heat shields. I pulled mine and looped the hose back on itself, but will be putting a new set in; kids are complaining its "cold back here".... yeah yeah yeah, cry me a river,:cry: I grew up in a 70's 'burban in Upstate NY.

Front main is fairly easy to replace other than the main bolt requires 300+FTlb of torque. I need to borrow a 3/4drive torque wrench before I tackle mine. "While you're in there" do the O-ring for the distributor shaft and the oil pump cover gasket too. While I'm in there I'll be rebuilding the PS pump too.

I haven't played with the LSVP, that's on next months list. Its a proportioning valve that links the rear frame to the rear axle via a leverage arm and a needle valve inline with the rear brakes. The lower the rear end squats the more rear braking you have, the valve assumes "squat"="load". Its been rumored that deleting it is an improvement. :meh:

If it helps, just remember you have a ready made hobby in the drive, and you can always find an excuse to get out from under the missus feet, cuz there is ALWAYS something that "needs" attention. If nothing else its high enough off the ground to roll under it for a nice nap.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom