Cement gray 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not so hot on the door handles as a separate color, and will be easier to just paint with the rest. Will be going black on grill, tail gate (on the top portion where it is not seen when shut— for wear and tear of loading stuff), and roof rack bumper rails. I’ll probably black mirrors too.

The tint is out dated and pealing off on a few windows so I’m sure that will stick out like a sore thumb with fresh paint. Another opportunity to add some black

Wise choice shying away from the sports car grey. The lighter stone outta attract less heat, from both the sun and the cops.

I saw one of these Stone Grey Sprinters in person the other day it i really liked it. While I was watching, the sun came out and voila! Different color. Pretty cool.

Nice! It is getting close, my goal was to be ready to paint by the 15th but I laid down my primer too dry and there is pitting. I am going to have to block sand the whole thing again and lay down another coat of primer, then sand again. The steps now seem really tedious and I am very eager to paint especially because the temps are dipping down. With a small family there is never enough time for anything. I would guess I have put 1-2 hours into it atleast a dozen times thus far. This past weekend:

-prep/prime bumper and do minor body work
-prep and spray missed spots of first primer coats
-apply guide coat and wetsand
-hit all the cracks, edges, inconspicuous spots with 3m pad to ensure adhesion of final coat
-prep and spray all front grill parts/lights

going all black on front grill except the lettering. Changed my mind on the bumper color and will be going with the body color. Am debating on putting some black in the middle section of the bumper like the new 4runner and tacomas do, the width of the grill.

image_123923953.JPG

Agreed. It is unique and updated though, so that gets vote from wife. will probably get creative and wrap black up and around the middle/bottom and leave band across top front to the sides in paint color. Stay tuned

another 15-20 hours into wet-sanding and re-priming. Im going a little body shop-batty. Decided to do the door jambs. Ouch, shoot me now--um, you missed a spot there in that crack--theres some some dirt/grease/dust thats not gona accept paint too well, repeat. Tweezers would have been nice to pull out the masking cut-outs from places nobody will see.

My spray gun works better if you exceed the recommended guide lines for max pressure by 5-10 PSI. It was spattering and inconsistent and I just about poured out the paint and took it down to the body shop for help. Maybe my gauge is a little off. I switched to 2.0 nozzle also. Finish paint is purchased, hoping to test out on bumper possibly tomorrow. Gotta clean the tent again (all dust in the space needs to be as limited as possible). I think im going to install a make shift box fan A/C filter to limit dust too. Had the propane Mr. Heater going in there today to help cure.

Painting a car is basically a project which begs the question "how far do you want to take this?" At every step you find yourself having to raise up the flag and say "well I did the best I could". Covering all of your bases is a relative term and patience is critical. To do it right, evrything should be stripped off, like at the manufacturer; or for those who have a nice shop and lots of time.

Ok, more wet-sanding, wiping off, blowing off, sanding again, taping, going over with tack-cloth, adding more lights, on and on.

Hey, I got to sit in her again yesterday (just before last door was closed off--because I had to move it forward) and I got that cruisin nostalgia:)

Stone Gray 80 coming soon

image_6483441 (3).JPG

I've never wet sanded primer before. I typically stop at 600 grit with primer, but I'm not a paint genius. I hate body work. One thing I did do on mine was pull the windshield. I figured if I dont pull it for paint, and I replace it in the future, their is a decent chance the gasket will not sit in the exact same way and reveal the tape line. I'm glad I did because rust was forming under the gasket and I was able to fix it with a wire wheel.

Thanks guys. Ya, the jambs were not in the cards and it was a pain but it is totally worth it. After all this I couldnt bare the thought of not going the extra mile to make it legit. Funny how I wound up discussing my project with a complete stranger at the church (an evacuee from the camp fire--prayers needed) the day before I was set to re-prime again.

wet sanding is just much easier and cleaner for me. I started dry, but Bobby said he always goes wet and I agree. Bucket, wipe down rag, and block or no block; no dust, easier to assess your progress, and just all around more pleasing. As for the 600 grit, yet another step where you can go as far as you want with it. Theres a Youtube video I watched (Black Porsche "the Perfect paint job", or something like that) where they take it to like 2500 grit and sand/prime/prep like maniacs, its actually good to watch to pick up little tips and see where the bar is set. I
feel like 400 makes it damn smooth, and still leaves a good surface for paint to stick.

The only place i've found rust so far (and treated of course) on this rig was under the slider windows when I fixed the leaks back during the first winter i had it.

Had a weather window yesterday and got a chance to shoot the finish color on the door jambs. The gun performed flawlessly, paint went on smooth and wet, surprised at how thin (very low viscosity) the paint seems. Got a few little runs but hey thats why I started with the jambs. In the garage tent the Stone Gray is very biege. I think it picks up the color of the garage fabric and the lights. Funny because the sample has always been gray just about the whole time but occasionally biege/tan/almost FDE in some lights.

Also got the "Hot Rod Black" on the grill and trim pieces in front a few weeks back. Came out with some sheen on it but not glossy--just how I wanted. Overall super stoked to get the color on and finally see some results. Next> hammer out the final sanding on the body primer, more prep and paint on front bumper, and wait for a patch of warmer/dryer weather to shoot the final coat.

Another part of the job that is crucial is tape removal. Needs to happen just after it sets, a little tacky. I rushed it a little bit so there are some imperfections along with many little taping imperfections, especially around the weather stripping because the tape did not stick well initially and I was a little frustrated with it. I may go ahead and re-tape the whole outside again, some is peeling off and I don't want any leaks/oversprays at all (like the jambs). Finally, need to contact PPG and ask about solvents for this paint; it is very difficult to clean up, paint thinner barely touches it and it gums up bad. Spent at least 45 to an hour getting the gun parts as clean as possible.

View attachment 1850324
IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2590.JPG

image_6483441.JPG

IMG_2573.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you spray the TOYOTA across the grill, or did you use a artist brush? It is looking VERY good... can’t wait to see it finished!

Thanks! The letters were just taped over the original chrome

Thanks! The letters were just taped over the original chrome

That’s great! When I bought my 91, the original owner had painted the entire grill, lettering included! I’ve been fighting them since I bought it, and eventually I’ll bite the bullet, and pour some kind of stripper on them.

It’s getting there... first shoot of outside surfaces went bad, nothing like the jambs. orange peel, dust, old paint chunks in gun. Think I got the bugs worked out though (more details in the paint thread:Fine lines). Mainly, just got too cold/late in the day when I finally started spraying.

Got her buffed out (400) and ready to re-coat soon as I get 65+ degree day.

Ultimately went with PPG Delfleet essentials paint

2386FDA8-8BD7-4477-AFBA-6D2F1A64618E.jpeg
7DB796B8-AF92-46DE-AD0C-3203A773C46D.jpeg
24BE3A97-BE74-4BEF-BA57-45A686361A6F.jpeg
7F1C9547-EA22-4263-997D-C767D3CE28D4.jpeg

Had a weather window yesterday and got a chance to shoot the finish color on the door jambs. The gun performed flawlessly, paint went on smooth and wet, surprised at how thin (very low viscosity) the paint seems. Got a few little runs but hey thats why I started with the jambs. In the garage tent the Stone Gray is very biege. I think it picks up the color of the garage fabric and the lights. Funny because the sample has always been gray just about the whole time but occasionally biege/tan/almost FDE in some lights.

Also got the "Hot Rod Black" on the grill and trim pieces in front a few weeks back. Came out with some sheen on it but not glossy--just how I wanted. Overall super stoked to get the color on and finally see some results. Next> hammer out the final sanding on the body primer, more prep and paint on front bumper, and wait for a patch of warmer/dryer weather to shoot the final coat.

Another part of the job that is crucial is tape removal. Needs to happen just after it sets, a little tacky. I rushed it a little bit so there are some imperfections along with many little taping imperfections, especially around the weather stripping because the tape did not stick well initially and I was a little frustrated with it. I may go ahead and re-tape the whole outside again, some is peeling off and I don't want any leaks/oversprays at all (like the jambs). Finally, need to contact PPG and ask about solvents for this paint; it is very difficult to clean up, paint thinner barely touches it and it gums up bad. Spent at least 45 to an hour getting the gun parts as clean as possible.

View attachment 1850324
View attachment 1851174
View attachment 1850337
View attachment 1850348
View attachment 1850349
what paint did you use for the gold lettering? Looks very good! I need to re-bling my gold trim...

@White Stripe It gives those sprayers an unassuming sleeper vibe! Ryan not that we're counting, but this thread is almost 6 months in c'mon mannnn with the teasing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom