Hose Diameter Power Steering Reservoir? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

overton

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.myfj40.com
1997 FZJ80 - This hose that goes from the power steering reservoir to the cooling assemble is apparently only sold by Toyota with the whole cooling assembly (44420). I have a mechanic asking what the diameter of this hose (red arrow) is so he can replace it without spending $400 for the whole deal.

Anybody have this info?

SnipImage.JPG

I used Gates transmission cooler hose. IIRC it was the half inch diameter size and it’s a little tight fitting but will work and ha worked on mine for three years now.

Do yourself a favor and just buy an aftermarket derale or similar cooler and replace the paper clip. I recently had a leak and did just that, so much better. 3 feet of 3/8" fuel line did the trick for both lines and 15 bucks for the cooler.

Do yourself a favor and just buy an aftermarket derale or similar cooler and replace the paper clip. I recently had a leak and did just that, so much better. 3 feet of 3/8" fuel line did the trick for both lines and 15 bucks for the cooler.
What was your leak from? I'm having trouble finding a small leak on mine right now

For the hose you're looking for you're going to have a hell of a time getting 3/8" on there. I worked on mine for a LONG time today, and got it barely on. I'm going in search of some actual 10mm hose (1/2 mm bigger than 3/8") tomorrow. 7/16" goes right on, but mine was done with fuel line, so that has been leaking like crazy for a few weeks. As long as it's transmission line, the 7/16" might actually work since it's reinforced. I'll try to post more tomorrow when I fiddle some more.

Last edited:
I have done a couple dozen of these with 3/8 and 5/8 TOC line with no big problem. A little firm on installation, but that is a good thing. IIRC, I reuse the 5/8hose clamps, but the 3/8 is a bit loose, so I use domestic worm drive clamps.

For the hose you're looking for you're going to have a hell of a time getting 3/8" on there. I worked on mine for a LONG time today, and got it barely on. I'm going in search of some actual 10mm hose (1/2 mm bigger than 3/8") tomorrow. 5/16" goes right on, but mine was done with fuel line, so that has been leaking like crazy for a few weeks. As long as it's transmission line, the 5/16" might actually work since it's reinforced. I'll try to post more tomorrow when I fiddle some more.

So, 3/8" wont fit, too tight, but 5/16", smaller hose, goes right on, why would you want larger 10mm? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom