Diagnosing CV issue?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone! First post here, and unfortunately it's for possible CV issues. I have a new to me 2000 lx470 w/ 180,000 miles.

I recently had my shop replace both front axles and bearings. (Long story short: locking ring fell off of passenger side and splines we're stripping). With that said, the axle flanges were not replaced. (Stupid me)

Previous owner replaced the AHC suspension with a landcruiser system. This included a 2imch OME lift in the rear. The car had some pretty serious rake when bought, so I had the shop level out the front since it was already going under the knife.

I am now experiencing what sounds like CV joint on both sides knocking when:
  • Turning at low speed in both directions
  • Especially noticeable when starting from a stop
  • Only occurs when applying throttle through turn, begins to stop when straightening wheel
My guess is the flanges first, since there is noticeable play in both sides. My second guess is possibly the angle of the axles since raising the front end. Third guess is spindle bearing needs to be lubed. Either way I have new flanges coming in to replace while change out warped rotors/pads.

For reference, the sound is identical to one I'm this video.

Any opinions?

Update to this:

Driver side CV slightly leaking grease
Replaced the axle flanges on both sides
Checked from bearing preload and re tightened to spec
Added new rotors and pads

Still having the same issue and I have no idea where it can be from. I've noticed the issue is now starting to occur when driving up hill in straight line.

Aftermarket axles or built in OEM core? 1.5" lift should not cause any CV issues on new OEM or OEM reman axles.

It sure sounds like a bad CV. Get under the truck grab the axles, shake the hell out of them and compare the movement between the two. I bet one has more slop than the other.

I threw some rebuilt axles in my kid's GTI a few years back that made almost as much noise as the bad ones I pulled out. Sometimes you just get bad parts.

Jim

Probably bad CVs, unfortunately sometimes its scoring on the rollers that can cause the noise. So an external visual inspection might not give you any indication of them being bad.

Thanks gents. Last night driver side axle went on me. It was an aftermarket unit that was installed by a shop in a hurry. Sourcing oem replacements for both sides on the front now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom