New/first build questions - 2011 GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
espermedia.com
I own a 2011 GX460 Base and am considering adding a Dobinson 2" lift that Treaty Oak Offroad has on sale right now. I also found someone locally selling a set of 18" Fuel Beast wheels with 285/65R18 Nitto mud tires with around 2000 miles on them for $1900.

Wondering if anyone can provide some feedback on whether or not these would be a good match and what I need to consider for fitment?

I do mostly road driving now and occasional service road drives - so I understand the mud tires are going to be noisier, etc.

My other option is to get some FN Wheels or a set of OEM FSport wheels with Toyo Open Country AT tires. Thoughts compared to the Nitto mud tires?

Finally, if anyone is running the Dobinson lift, did you install a diff kit as well (looking at the 1" kit from Metal Tech). Is this necessary/a good choice to reduce overall wear?

Any feedback/advice greatly appreciated.

I own a 2011 GX460 Base and am considering adding a Dobinson 2" lift that Treaty Oak Offroad has on sale right now. I also found someone locally selling a set of 18" Fuel Beast wheels with 285/65R18 Nitto mud tires with around 2000 miles on them for $1900.

Wondering if anyone can provide some feedback on whether or not these would be a good match and what I need to consider for fitment?

I do mostly road driving now and occasional service road drives - so I understand the mud tires are going to be noisier, etc.

My other option is to get some FN Wheels or a set of OEM FSport wheels with Toyo Open Country AT tires. Thoughts compared to the Nitto mud tires?

Finally, if anyone is running the Dobinson lift, did you install a diff kit as well (looking at the 1" kit from Metal Tech). Is this necessary/a good choice to reduce overall wear?

Any feedback/advice greatly appreciated.
Congrats on starting your build! I highly recommend Kyle and Dobinsons. No one will give you better customer service, and no one knows their products as well as Kyle, especially for GX models. He will set you up right. Make sure you talk with him about your build goals so he gives you the best spring rates for your weight and use.

The wheels are difficult to respond about without knowing a little more info. You want to first make sure the bolt pattern is correct (which I assume you have already done), then figure out whether the rim width and offset will work with your vehicle and tires. For a 285/65/r18 tire and mild offroading with aired down tires, I would recommend that you use an 8.5" or 9" rim with an offset of -10 or -12mm. You could run an 8" rim but it would result in a little more bulging of the tires and possibly start causing seating issues at lower pressures. The negative offset brings the rim and tire outboard just a little, which helps them clear the suspension components and sway bar since they are now both wider than stock. If you have a 0 or greater offset on the new wider-than-stock rims and tires, you are likely to interfere with suspension components.

On the tires, I love the quiet of the Toyo ATIIs on the road, but they will never have the same mud performance as the Nitto MTs. To get a good balance between those two types of tires, you may want to consider the Nitto Ridge Grappler line.

If you only going up 2", you shouldn't need a differential drop because your CV angles aren't going to be very extreme. The drop is typically recommended only if you are lifting over 2.5". Talk with Kyle about it, but I am pretty sure he will tell you the same thing. But I would definitely install aftermarket upper control arms if you are adding a 2" lift and almost 34" tires.

Best of luck and reach out if you have any other questions!

Thanks so much for the info! Any recommendation on the control arms?
You'll get about as many different responses to that question as you will about tires or rims.

I personally run Total Chaos. They are premium but very solid. That being said, there are a lot of options out there from Icon, Camburg, Dobinsons, SPC, Pro Comp and others.

There are several different joints available. TC uses a uniball, which is the strongest option but can also start to squeak over time. I take care of that with a shot of dry lubricant every 3-4 weeks. No big deal. The TC GX460 (5th gen 4runner) models can either use bushings or heim joints at the frame attachment points. The heim joints allow for more alignment adjustability for caster, etc., but also tend to squeak. I use the bushing ones, and grease the poly bushings about once every 6 months.

The factory UCAs and several of the aftermarket use ball joints. These are quieter with less maintenance but they are not as strong as the uniball. This is really only important if you are doing medium to heavy offroading, or if you just like extra peace of mind. These ball joints also provide a little more adjustability for suspension alignment than the non-heim uniballs.

Again, there are a lot of options out there with a wide range of designs. Any of the aftermarket should clear the Dobinsons suspension, so the main things you need to ask yourself are what are your priorities for design and cost? If you are on GXOR post up a request for recommendations and take a look at the different options people recommend. Most of them will probably be on sale this week.

Welcome to Team460!!!

Jared has given you some really good info. Looking forward to what your build turns into.

-HitchCrack

Thanks for the input! I think I am going to go with the 2" lift and try to get some bigger tires that will be more balanced for both on and off road use. Looking at either keeping stock rims, or finding 17"/18" alternatives (purely cosmetic) with some Nitto Terra Grapplers or Toyo Open Country AT II's. I think I can get 33" tires to clear with this set-up. SO many options and little things to consider for the right fitment and functionality! And yes, it looks like with the 2" lift I will not need the diff drop. Now I need to investigate the UCA options - ha!

Just my two cents worth on rims and tires after building 3 overland rigs.
Get 17" rims. Why? Because there is the largest selection of tires for that size and with that large selection, cheaper prices. My 1998 Landcruiser came with 20" rims (why the previous owner put them on? I have no idea...). When I was ready to start my expedition build for it, I found for the cost of 20" rim 35" O.D. mud terrain tires alone I could purchase 17" rims and the same size (35" diameter) tires for that size rim! My current 2013 GX 460 Premium came with 18" wheels and the same thing. What it would cost for tires alone, was just a little less than both tires and rims. This equates to being much cheaper when needing new tires. And if you ever get stuck with a non-repairable tire, easier to find a replacement that fits. ;)

Also I did most of my "shopping" from Metal Tech for my build. Here's a link to my rig: R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo

Now about tires, again, just my two cents on this also. I have always gone with BFG, either the M/T's (mud terrains) on my rig or A/T's
on my wife's rig. By far the most quiet and long lasting tire out there. easy 50k to 60k miles. The M/T's will get a little noisy when they wear down. There are definitely tires with better off-road abilities, but not many.
I'd rank these as:
  • Tire wear: 10/10 won't find an off-road tire that last longer with normal tire wear.
  • Off-road ability A/T's: 7/10
  • Off-road ability M/T's: 9/10
  • Looks: 9/10
  • Noise for A/T's: 10/10
  • Noise for M/T's: 9/10 going down to 7/10 when they wear down.
Again, discussion and opinions about tires and rims are like belly buttons, everyone's got one...
Good luck on your decision.

Nice rig! Definitely more the look/functionality I am going for - eventually. I love the overlanding bumpers, but starting with the lift and wheels/rims and a top rack. Since I run it on the road more than off, I want a good balance. Priorities for me are getting a bit more clearance and larger tires to fill the wheel wells better. Not sure what size I can get to fit with the stock sidesteps, but I have been considering the 17" rim route as well for the very reasons you mentioned. THANKS!

I have SPC UCA, greatd articulation. It's also adjustable and re-greasable. Highly recommended. Also join GXOR-GX Offroad FB group if you can. Great resource also. Congrats and enjoy the new GX off-road addiction. I agree there are many lift selections also: Ironman 4x4 or Icon (Metaltech 4x4) or contact Kyle Fogle via FB GXOR for Dobinsons suspensions. Happy modding and motoring.

https://www.spcalignment.com/component/spc/?task=part_description&pid=25480

GXOR - GX OffRoad

Welcome to Team460!!!

Jared has given you some really good info. Looking forward to what your build turns into.

-HitchCrack

Looking at the 17" TRD wheels and Ridge Grapplers and just noticed that is what you have on your rig. What size tires are you running and any fitment issues to be aware of? THX!

Looking at the 17" TRD wheels and Ridge Grapplers and just noticed that is what you have on your rig. What size tires are you running and any fitment issues to be aware of? THX!

I have 285/75/17 I did have to do the body mount chop and I’m running without fender liners. I don’t have any issues with these modifications and tire size.

I have 285/75/17 I did have to do the body mount chop and I’m running without fender liners. I don’t have any issues with these modifications and tire size.

What is the body mount chop if you don't mind? I've read other threads where a heat gun has been used to warp the liners/runners a bit to get them out of the way, but this sounds more aggressive... ;)

I have the same size BFG M/T's (LT285/75R17) on mine but I didn't have to remove the fender liners.
I did do the body mount chop. That's a must for this size tire unless you just want to be a mall cruiser... :eek:

Last edited:

Finally making progress - bought some Toyota Limited Hyper-Silver take-offs locally that are the same size as my OEM rims (18"). Had them powder coated (Gunmetal/Titanium Silver-gray that looks close to the grill color) and I re-badged the center caps. Went with LT275/65R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, but haven't addressed the spare yet. Used Discount Tires after they matched the lowest online price I could find for the tires and had an additional 10% rebate offer. They did a great job, but didn't want to touch the spare and try to wedge the larger tire in there - so looking for other options... Tires rub just slightly at extreme turning angles...

So, I am having a Dobinson 2" lift installed tomorrow (thanks Kyle at Treaty Oak Offroad for all of your help!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom