What Have I Got Here? And what should I do Next? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a Potrtuguese spec (12V) BJ 73 with a Spanish 1HDT(?) Block number 0008023. Was told it was from a 93 HDJ80. Numbers seem awful low from what I have read here. I may not have prioritized properly but have been building from the bottom up mechanically. Front and rear axles, re gearing, lockers, suspension, etc., etc.. Now I am trying to turn my attention to the power plant and get it running right. Cold start is terrible and I'm talking only 30'F.
Checked glow plugs and they are toast, so they are on order. My plans are of course to eventually upgrade the turbo, run 3" exhaust and install an IC. Before I get into that too deep I was thinking I would swap in some new BEBs, service or replace injectors, run a compression test and change the oil. Not necessarily in that order. When looking for parts it seems it depends on the year of course and the block number seems as I stated very low for a 93. Then I read about the turbo HZ conversions. Then all the IPs I seem on the 1HDTs have a boost compensator which my IP does not??.

So what I need help with is:
1. How do I get the production date with just the block #?
2. Is this a 1HDt or HZT or Hybrid? I say hybrid because the top end looks to be 1HDT and don't know if heads are interchangeable.
3. Do have have the right IP or an adequate IP for upgrades? Seems I would need a boost compensator??
4. Will stock injectors suffice for my future upgrades?
4. What would be the most reasonable order to proceed with this project?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and expertise!!!
1HDT.jpg
1HDT Motor.jpg
1HDT Serial #.jpg
LC IP.jpg
LC IP Tag.jpg

Its a 1HD T, you can tell by the injectors. The engine type is molded into the engine block somewhere.
You can fit a 1HD T head onto a 1HZ but that involves changing the pistons and conrods as well
But the fuel injection pump part number (22100-17410) shows it came from a 1HZ in a Coaster bus. So you have a Frankenstein. The pump may have to be altered to suit the 1HD T

My guess is the original 1HD T pump gave up the ghost so they put the cheaper 1HZ pump on.

Last edited:
What would be the most reasonable order to proceed with this project?

Do a compression test first. Its pointless going any further without knowing the state of the engine. If that turns out ok, I would probably look at making sure the pump is set up correctly.
Generally its always best to do the pump and injectors at the same time.
Then I would do the glow plugs , BEBs

Agreed, it's a 1HD-T head. And that is not a 1HD-T injection pump.

To the left of that engine number there'll be letters stamped "HD" for 1HD-T, "HZ" for 1HZ.

I had a 1HD-T pump crap it's dacks, and replaced it with a 1HZ injection pump.
I struggled to get it to run at all, and it was too gutless to drive on road. I think you will struggle to get the best out of that power plant with a 1HZ injection pump on it.

This is the position where the stamp that says what engine it is. Its just forward of the engine serial number
I said molding but thats what the older diesels had . These are stamped in half inch letters.

1HZ pics 001.jpg

I struggled to get it to run at all, and it was too gutless to drive on road

A 1HZ can still pump a lot of fuel into an engine. I suspect its more to do with the valves, timing and injector cracking pressure etc.
Ultimately, the 1HD T pump will deliver more power. Thats why its there.

A 1HZ can still pump a lot of fuel into an engine. I suspect its more to do with the valves, timing and injector cracking pressure etc.
Ultimately, the 1HD T pump will deliver more power. Thats why its there.

Correct. Timing is quite a bit different.
Injection pressure from the 1HZ pump is approx 1/2 the crack pressure of the two stage 1HD-T injectors

In the first picture the boost-reference line on the cross-pipe appears to go nowhere and is wide open. Without that hooked to the Turbo, your boost will not be working properly. My guess is that was part of the swap-out to the HZ Injection pump (no boost compensator)...though leaving that open is a head-scratcher. I would be looking to ensure that all boost lines and other plumbing are in the proper shape, and get it back to HD specifications. A new HD pump would be my first order of business.

Is there any way to discuss with the person who built the truck to get specifics on the engine?

That's what I would do first as opposed to trying to piece together inconclusive data/information.

OK. Thanks to all for the input.
I've found the 1HD stamp on the block.
I've run a compression test and seem to be good across the board 475psi- 495psi.
I've got new glow plugs on the way. Only 2 tested good So I'm changing all.

I've still found no way to definitively date the motor #0008023
Guessing late 90- early 91 assuming numbers are sequential through the years??

Guess I need to source a 1HDT Injector pump and injectors.

If I understand correctly injectors were different pre 93 and post 93??
Is that because the IPs changed??
Since I need both injectors and IP together would my motor date be relevant??
Is the later IP better, easier to tune, or more capable of handling upgrades than earlier version??

Does anyone have a source recommendation for a quality IP and injectors?
1HD Block Stamp Clean.jpg

If I understand correctly injectors were different pre 93 and post 93??
Is that because the IPs changed??

Some of us think they changed the piston design to alleviate the problem with BEBs around 93. So they probably changed the depth,angle or spray pattern of the injectors.
You dont need to buy new injectors, the tips are easily rebuilt. The bulk of the injector is just a tube.
Then you need someone who can adjust the dual spray pattern(yes they open twice on each combustion stroke)
The injectors should have a toyota or denso part number on them.
You need to ask the 1HD T owners on this forum what their engine number is and the date of their vehicle and compare

Used 1HD T pumps dont pop up all that often.
If you have a good diesel workshop, ask them for advice.
New price if you can get one is about $3400USD

Last edited:
All of these it's assuming you have the right injectors ( dual stage 1HD-T ) if so rebuild the stages if possible it's the first step ..

The date for a number of changes was 08/92 on the 1HD-T. Toyota upped the fuel feed line size from the fuel tank, the injection pump is different part number, as are the pistons. The tell on an intact engine is checking the injection pump number and if the cross-over tube word "turbo" is not painted red. This is not your situation though. Here is a thread with a couple links with more information that may help you. One of the links has some block numbers.

ACL rod bearings after 150k kms.

hth's
gb

The date for a number of changes was 08/92 on the 1HD-T. Toyota upped the fuel feed line size from the fuel tank, the injection pump is different part number, as are the pistons. The tell on an intact engine is checking the injection pump number and if the cross-over tube word "turbo" is not painted red. This is not your situation though. Here is a thread with a couple links with more information that may help you. One of the links has some block numbers.

ACL rod bearings after 150k kms.

hth's
gb

I had an early HDJ81 (1990) and my local diesel shop recommended rebuilding the pump to the later specs.
There were changes to try and resolve some early issues, I think part of it was dealing with surging at highway cruising speeds which was a problem with early 1HD-T

Is there any way to discuss with the person who built the truck to get specifics on the engine?

After doing something like that, they are more likely to want to get as far away as possible from it.:D

A lot of them surge at idle when parked uphill

Fairly common for them to stall when idling on an incline.
Different to the high speed surge. The increase in fuel line size also an effort to eliminate high speed surging. There was a Toyota recall/warranty program replacing the fuel lines.
Injector pipe compression fitting orifice size was also increased for the same reason

My pump and injecters will work perfectly where is your compensator thats a weird setup.

What pump and what engine do you have? Many countries, Australia for one, dont get the compensator because they are never driven to high altitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom