Mechanical Key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done a search for both mechanical key and key fob and came up short. When your fob battery dies how does the mechanical key get your car running?

I keep my key inside a waterproof 2.5x3" poly bag along with a spare battery on a keyring, as well as have the Lexus key card in my wallet with its own spare battery. Dual keys.

The metal key can lock and unlock the vehicle when it's running so it's separate on my keychain for quick access.

Last edited:
Thank you, has anyone had to do this?

I’ve done it with a dead battery. No biggie. The start button proximity thing works.

The batteries last a looooong time. When I eventually noticed the wireless range beginning to become noticeably reduced...I swap in a new battery.

I keep my key (still on the keyring) inside a waterproof 2.5x3" poly bag along with a spare battery, as well as have the Lexus key card in my wallet with its own spare battery. That shoul

Good idea thank you.

I’m curious, why do you ask?

Mostly curiosity, partly self preservation.

I had to replace the battery in one of my '09 LC fobs recently. The battery was cheap and can be purchased nearly anywhere. I found the battery at CVS pharmacy for about $5, though it's much cheaper on Amazon. I was able to use the key to pop the case apart, stick the new battery in, and everything worked again right away. If you're worried about it, I'd just replace them as PM. I think it's about $5 for 2 on Amazon. That's about as cheap as peace of mind can get.

The dead key happened to my wife's key. She had to unlock the door with the key, put the key up to the button, and it took her three attempts to start the car.

Last edited:
The dead key happened to my wife's key. She had to unlock the door with the key, put the key up to the button, and it took her three attempts to start the car.

There's an App for that!

There is an App in the iOS App Store called "Dead Key Fob" which runs you through the steps for unlocking the vehicle and starting the engine with a dead key fob. Of course, the App will not start the car, but does explain the few simple steps to follow so that you can start the vehicle the first time.

HTH

There's an App for that!

There is an App in the iOS App Store called "Dead Key Fob" which runs you through the steps for unlocking the vehicle and starting the engine with a dead key fob. Of course, the App will not start the car, but does explain the few simple steps to follow so that you can start the vehicle the first time.

HTH

Ok thanks I’ll check it out.

I know on my old Lexus ES, I was told the key fob contained a magnet that when held close to the start button completed the "connection" (they didn't say connection but you get the idea). Anyway it was explained that it was a magnetic code in the key fob, at least that was what I was told.

I know on my old Lexus ES, I was told the key fob contained a magnet that when held close to the start button completed the "connection" (they didn't say connection but you get the idea). Anyway it was explained that it was a magnetic code in the key fob, at least that was what I was told.

Nope. Guess again :D

@gaijin Learn to read. :doh: Did not say that is what it was, that was actually how it works or this is a guess. I believe the post said, twice, this is what I was told.

@gaijin Learn to read. :doh: Did not say that is what it was, that was actually how it works or this is a guess. I believe the post said, twice, this is what I was told.

So ... why repeat it if you don't believe it? Just spreading gossip? How does that help?

I said, "I was told" (which I was by the Lexus dealership); nothing more, nothing less. I did not say it was a guess, I did not say I don't believe it, I did not say it was gossip; I said I was told.

I consider this conversation over and any further misinterpretations by you will ignored.

Have a nice day.

:rolleyes:

949F68A3-DDA4-4204-A6FC-1C0AA294DCB3.jpeg

The plastic Jesus on my console told me to officially absolve 18Cruiser for unintentionally passing on bad info...and to absolve Gaijin for being his normal, fact-based self. :rofl:

Hug it out! :)

But seriously...

It’s amazing how consistently wrong some service dept. folk can be...and how their own little guesses can be presented to customers as fact.

But what else is new...:meh:

Now take a knee and sing with Paul Newman...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom