Turbo or supercharger ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What’s your turbo an what’s your set up look like ???

It's a Safari Turbo setup that was fitted in 1997 (Safari don't make these anymore either) - Cast low mount exhaust manifold, Custom Safari Turbo (I believe it's based on a Garrett GT35 with a custom exhaust housing) front mount air-air intercooler and a 3" exhaust with a single muffler. Being an Oz market truck, it came factory with no cats, egr etc. Goes pretty well and isn't any worse on fuel than a stock FZJ80. I should also add, I have a H151 manual transmission rather than an auto. Happy to grab some pictures for you if you like.

@scottryana is the Turbo 1FZ guy, he might be able to confirm the safari turbo specs?

Yeah pretty gnarly. A little more dialing and it is down to 6.72 seconds and 203mph in the 1/4. Probably 2200-2500hp! Stock block.

Um, sub 8 seconds at over 180 MPH in the quarter.

If you want a S/C, I suspect the market of used ones will bloom once the turbo comes out.

I luckily procrastinated a real TRD setup Dan sold me back “in the day”.

Once I saw how far & realistic the overall setup Joey is doing progressed, I didn’t hesitate to drop my NIB S/C to an enthusiastic buyer.

But I’m also an enthusiast of modern turbo tech, so to me turbo > S/C, by a country mile.

Anybody who tells you a I6 ‘Yota is trash never rode in a turbo Supra when they were properly maintained & not trading for ~$3500-5K.

Chrysler swapping an 80 series land cruiser...
Dan pls no
Keeping it Toyota, a 2U 4.7.

GM LS

I'd like to figure out a way to use a Mopar 6.1 Hemi and a NAG1 5 speed auto.

2U 4.7 = ok upgrade but honestly no! Not worth the trouble. I have the GX and even with less weight it barely get out of its on way. I drove @NLXTACY’s super charged 80 and it felt more drivable than the GX.

LS 6.2 with a 6 speed would be insane!

HEMI is a no, if I remember correctly it’s a 90 degree engine and it is WIDE! The LS has more power and more torque at lower RPM AND way better gas mileage, oh it’s very manageable interm of size. Even miatas are dropping LS in. 20MPG is totally doable with the fuel and cylinder management.

First question I guess is what's your budget? What's your goal with the vehicle?
My budget is about 4 grand and i just want it to have more power for off-road and onroad.... I’m constantly floored when on the highway and when I’m off-roading climbing the amount of times i get to the peak of the hill and just don’t have the little emp to get up .... it’s annoying my main goal is to make it Moreno powerful for off-roading tho

2U 4.7 = ok upgrade but honestly no! Not worth the trouble. I have the GX and even with less weight it barely get out of its on way. I drove @NLXTACY’s super charged 80 and it felt more drivable than the GX.

LS 6.2 with a 6 speed would be insane!

HEMI is a no, if I remember correctly it’s a 90 degree engine and it is WIDE! The LS has more power and more torque at lower RPM AND way better gas mileage, oh it’s very manageable interm of size. Even miatas are dropping LS in. 20MPG is totally doable with the fuel and cylinder management.
You have a supercharger in your 80s?

My budget is about 4 grand and i just want it to have more power for off-road and onroad.... I’m constantly floored when on the highway and when I’m off-roading climbing the amount of times i get to the peak of the hill and just don’t have the little emp to get up .... it’s annoying my main goal is to make it Moreno powerful for off-roading tho

For 4k budget I suggest look at 4.88 or 5.29 gears. A used super charger will be over 4K for just parts, turbo will be even more! Gearing will give you better on and off-road performance gain where as turbo and SC will mostly give you on the road gains.

For 4k budget I suggest look at 4.88 or 5.29 gears. A used super charger will be over 4K for just parts, turbo will be even more! Gearing will give you better on and off-road performance gain where as turbo and SC will mostly give you on the road gains.
**** my life !!! Welp i guess i need to figure out why my lockers all of the sudden aren’t engaging!! Both just flashing today when i went to use them ! Yayyyyyy

Isn't the upcoming turbo kit in the $4-5k range?

Yea i just saw that

D0E6F8CA-FBC7-4A49-97CF-775E23B5FFA7.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom