repair overhead console (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My overhead console is not properly secured to the top of my rig (see photos). Seems like the clips nearest the windshield are likely broken--if I push it flush, the console will flop back down immediately. The sunglasses compartment also seems to be stuck closed. (could be the PO damaged the whole thing during a struggle to open the sunglasses cover)

Hasn't bothered me much until I got the notion to mount a ScanGauge in the sunglasses cubby... any ideas on how to fix what I have? Or how to pop that sunglasses lid? Or leads on a new console?

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

@BlueMica Is this an LC or LX? The four plastic tabs that secure the console also have metal clips that actually provide the holding. The metal clips can come off when removing the console, perhaps they came off and were not re-installed before the console was pushed back up.

Does your “sunglasses holder” have a rectangular cover in the center of it? If it does then it’s actually a garage door opener holder which does swing open when pryed open from the rear edge. Inside you’ll see one Phillips screw securing the console to the roof. Remove that screw and you can then pull down the console, releasing the four plastic/metal clips. If the plastic tabs are intact, but without their metal clips, feel around inside the headliner and you may find a lost clip or two. Here’s how it looks from above:

C1F10CE0-A4FB-43B8-BF91-E15CBCA90FDC.jpeg

Also, I have a 3D printed ScanGauge mount specifically designed to replace the LC’s cubby. If you’re interested send me a PM.

C560A5EF-A9DA-46E7-A94F-98C7240998DB.jpeg

@Ayune great reply--thank you! It is a 98 LC (like yours, but just 205k miles), and the "sunglasses holder" must be a garage door opener holder since it has that rectangular cover in the middle. Should I use a butter knife to pop it open the lid, working the edge toward the rear of the truck? Really hoping I can find at least one of those metal clips if I can remove the whole assembly...

Definitely interested in your 3D printed SG mount--will PM you. Thanks again for the help!

@Ayune great reply--thank you! It is a 98 LC (like yours, but just 205k miles), and the "sunglasses holder" must be a garage door opener holder since it has that rectangular cover in the middle. Should I use a butter knife to pop it open the lid, working the edge toward the rear of the truck? Really hoping I can find at least one of those metal clips if I can remove the whole assembly...

Definitely interested in your 3D printed SG mount--will PM you. Thanks again for the help!

^^^^^^ You will love it. I will take pics and do a short write up on mine soon. Been busy with other stuff.

It is a great product.

Make sure your overhead is the one with the 'sunglass holder' if you plan to use @Ayune's scanguage mount. It will not work with an overhead that has the garage door opener.

@BlueMica Is this an LC or LX? The four plastic tabs that secure the console also have metal clips that actually provide the holding. The metal clips can come off when removing the console, perhaps they came off and were not re-installed before the console was pushed back up.

Does your “sunglasses holder” have a rectangular cover in the center of it? If it does then it’s actually a garage door opener holder which does swing open when pryed open from the rear edge. Inside you’ll see one Phillips screw securing the console to the roof. Remove that screw and you can then pull down the console, releasing the four plastic/metal clips. If the plastic tabs are intact, but without their metal clips, feel around inside the headliner and you may find a lost clip or two. Here’s how it looks from above:

View attachment 1834837

Also, I have a 3D printed ScanGauge mount specifically designed to replace the LC’s cubby. If you’re interested send me a PM.

View attachment 1834838

@Ayune - could I please order this 3D unit from you and hopefully you could give some tips to install the gauge like what you did in the picture above?

Hi @BlueMica and @Ayune, old thread I know. I also have an overhead console that is sagging. Is there a walk through or video some where of how to take this apart / detach the overhead console without damaging it? I haven't had any luck finding one. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom