Distributor install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so a little background. I bought my 123k mile 83 FJ60 a few months ago. It had some vacuum issues which have been sorted out, and also had a distributor that was, to my knowledge, a tooth off. Why do I think that? Because with distributor adjustment all the way maxed out, I could only get the timing down to 14BTDC. When I purchased it, it was at 24BTDC. Obviously an issue. I’ve been driving it around at 14 degrees and it runs pretty well, it will occasionally ping under heavy load and it diesels when I shut it off. So today I decided to fix it. Pulled the distributor, and using the FSM, installed it to what appears to be the correct way. Problem now? It’s maxed out and too retarded. Here’s the kicker, it runs much, much better. No noticeable power loss or anything. Attached is a pic of how it is installed with #1 cylinder at TDC, with the FSM diagram of what it should look like. Any tips or pointers? Even though it runs just fine, I want it right. If I go a tooth one way, it won’t run. If I go a tooth the other way, it won’t run. The FSM I’m using was from an 87, mine is an 83. But I’d think setting static timing/installing the distributor should be the same across the 60 board, right? Also, I thought it was the original distributor to the truck, but it’s marked SOR in paint marker on it, so I think it came from Specter Off Road.

4D43146C-270B-4A99-A765-EBD311ED2DB2.jpeg

Stick it in little further to the left toward the 4th plug. I fought w/ mine pointing just before 4 or a smidge beyond. I chose just before. Yours tho appears one tooth or more too much before 4.

Forget ignore me. Let someone better who understands them speak up, @FJ40Jim.

Forget ignore me. Let someone better who understands them speak up, @FJ40Jim.
Ya, the problem is, is a “tooth” is a fairly large adjustment. So one tooth towards number 4 puts it past number 4, one tooth towards number 3 puts it past number 3, etc.
unless I’m not gentle enough with the tiny adjustments. Also, it’s depicted exactly as the service manual states, so I’m not sure what to do.

I’ll agree it was a wenchy chore. You’ll get it but you’ll stand over the fender a number more. GL.

Agree with Felicity here! It needs to go 1 more tooth towards the rear of the truck. I wrestling with mine for days and couldn’t get it right. The FSM picture isn’t exactly correct. I must of reinstalled it 30 times to get it right. You’ll get there but by the looks of the picture your off a bit. Good luck!

I’ll agree it was a wenchy chore. You’ll get it but you’ll stand over the fender a number more. GL.
Did you have your timing mark on the BB or the hash mark?
Agree with Felicity here! It needs to go 1 more tooth towards the rear of the truck. I wrestling with mine for days and couldn’t get it right. The FSM picture isn’t exactly correct. I must of reinstalled it 30 times to get it right. You’ll get there but by the looks of the picture your off a bit. Good luck!
nice, thanks. I guess I’ll keep messing with it!

BB per the fsm. Then when I went to adjust the valves I had to put it on TDC (hashmark) and that’s where I was getting mixed up because it would shift past 4. Hence why I let it be a smidge before 4 in the end.

I too agree...one more to the left.

So in reality, it needs to point almost exactly to #4 spark plug, not halfway between 3&4. I got it on the next go round. Thanks for all your help! It doesn’t run super awesome now, seems to be lacking previous power. I’ll mess with it again tomorrow. Hard to try and sort things out when the timing wasn’t right.

So in reality, it needs to point almost exactly to #4 spark plug, not halfway between 3&4. I got it on the next go round. Thanks for all your help!

A picture would be helpful.

You might also try putting the secondary diaphram vac line on the primary (outside), and plug the primary.
Low altitude , you don't need 16o vac advance. There is a pin in the older distribs that fails, and can be replaced too...

Dizzy FAQ

Don't be lulled into the deception of seemingly "worse performance" when the distributor is timed correctly. When timing is set correctly, at 7° BTDC at sea level, it may not be as "peppy" at certain RPMs & loads - but it won't cause detonation. If the timing is set too far advanced, the engine will run great at certain RPMs and loads, better than correct timing, but under certain heavy loads, RPMs and throttle positions, the engine will ping. That's really bad. If there's ever any hint of slight pinging, the timing is too far advanced.

But if you've got EGR valve disconnected without the distributor recurved- the timing is all effed up and the FSM recommendations can't be followed.

Don't be lulled into the deception of seemingly "worse performance" when the distributor is timed correctly. When timing is set correctly, at 7° BTDC at sea level, it may not be as "peppy" at certain RPMs & loads - but it won't cause detonation. If the timing is set too far advanced, the engine will run great at certain RPMs and loads, better than correct timing, but under certain heavy loads, RPMs and throttle positions, the engine will ping. That's really bad. If there's ever any hint of slight pinging, the timing is too far advanced.

But if you've got EGR valve disconnected without the distributor recurved- the timing is all effed up and the FSM recommendations can't be followed.
It’s full smog. It actually runs great now. I hastily timed it last night because it was getting late, and put it at the TDC hash instead of the BB, so it was a real turd. I fixed it this morning and it’s back to being “peppy”, at about 9BTDC. I honestly can’t even tell a difference between 9 and 14, except the intermittent pinging is gone, which was my goal. When I first bought it and it was at 24BTDC, it would ping at anything near half throttle, which in 60 terms, was nearly all the time, lol.

So in reality, it needs to point almost exactly to #4 spark plug, not halfway between 3&4. I got it on the next go round. Thanks for all your help! It doesn’t run super awesome now, seems to be lacking previous power. I’ll mess with it again tomorrow. Hard to try and sort things out when the timing wasn’t right.
Yep! The pic in the FSM is wrong. Glad you got it!

Sounds like you got it sorted out, but just wanted to point out that the correct FSM has the distributor installation correct. Drawings aren't the greatest though.

From 1980 2F Engine FSM:
dist inst.jpg

distos.png

Sounds like you got it sorted out, but just wanted to point out that the correct FSM has the distributor installation correct. Drawings aren't the greatest though.

From 1980 2F Engine FSM:
View attachment 1834905

View attachment 1834906
I stand corrected. I just looked in my book and see it does say set at TDC. Apologies if I confused anyone w/ my bad memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom