fzj80 no heat high idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day all!

Its winter here now and were driving the 1993 80 for the first time really. Noticing a couple issues right away;

1-once it warms up (needle in the middle) the idle goes up to about 2500 rpm.. sometimes just at a stop, and sometimes its only when its in park. In the second scenario, idle falls back to ~750 in gear. Where should I start?

2-again once warmed up, im not getting any heat anywhere in the cabin. tried all the options ie toes face windlshield etc.

Please help!

If coolant is not low, does turning the temperature control move the heater control valve? If not, can you take off the cable from the heater control valve, and manually open it, do you get heat then? If not, does the rear heater work with the heater control valve open?

Not sure on the idle issue, but others will chime in on that.

How is the coolant level?
If coolant is not low, does turning the temperature control move the heater control valve? If not, can you take off the cable from the heater control valve, and manually open it, do you get heat then? If not, does the rear heater work with the heater control valve open?

Not sure on the idle issue, but others will chime in on that.

I see coolant when i take the rad cap off, but the overflow is dry.. ill top it off in the morning and see if that makes a difference, but if the rad is full it should work I think?

When I move the temperature control in the cabin, I can hear what sounds like a little electrixc motor doing its thing. (If thats what youre asking).
Not sure where the cable is located. Once the sun comes back out ill go have a look at that. But with the dial on hot, no heat comes out front or rear

Cable is located @ middle of the fire wall over #6 piston
Top up coolant reservoir and check for leaks
Do you have a rear heater? Check the piping over chassis below the passenger seat area, mine corroded here and surprised me

Is it possible the heater core is plugged and there is no flow?

Allright lads thanks for the help. The cable was disconnected from the lever. Just had to secure it back on and now I have heat!

I still have that eratic idle though.. not sure if this is related, but while I was checking out the heat situation, I realized my radiator fan didnt stop once in the ~20 minutes I had the truck running.. even though it had plenty of time to heat up. Can someone confirm if this is normal? And could that be affecting my idle?

Thanks

Check the connector on the heat sensor on the thermostat housing. It breaks easily, and can cause lots of running and idle problems. Lots of folks just replace the spade, because the plastic connector is hard to keep from breaking the wire...

Check the connector on the heat sensor on the thermostat housing. It breaks easily, and can cause lots of running and idle problems. Lots of folks just replace the spade, because the plastic connector is hard to keep from breaking the wire...

There is no sensor on the thermostat housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom