Switching over to winters TPMS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Switched over to my winter tires and rims (i have two sets of oem rims and oem tpms) on my 09 LX and now the tpms light is blinking even after reset. Is this really a thing that I would have to pay Lexus $120 everytime to program these things? Whole reason I spent money on another set of OEM wheels is so I could stop paying $4000 a year for tire changes I can do on my own. Any other thoughts? TIA

You can only have one set of sensors registered. You can have any tire dealer do it for you or I believe techstream can change the registration. Alternatively, if you buy non-oem sensors some allow cloning the summer tires sensors. I did that and it works really well.

The first set of wheels has a set of TPMS ID codes (call them 1-5) and the second set has another set of ID codes (call them 6-10).

You can pay someone to read the winter codes and load them into your TPMS system in the truck. (Needs to be done each time you swap) Or, you can buy a code reader and reload them each time you swap yourself. Or, you can install clone-able sensors in one set of wheels and load them with the same set of IDs (say 1-5) as the "other" set of wheels. I use three sets of wheels. Each set appears as the same set of IDs to the trucks TPMS system. Cloning works for me. Tape on the dashboard works for others.

or I guess I can drive with the light on in the winter and no light on in the summer lol. So stupid..

I believe you can have your sensors cloned so they look the same to your truck’s computer. Maybe someone can confirm.

If you invest in a cable and techstream you can input the id's yourself. It takes about 15 min each time.you swap sets.

Cloning with the Autel system or others also works. As a bonus the sensors cost a lot less too.

If you invest in a cable and techstream you can input the id's yourself. It takes about 15 min each time.you swap sets.

I just went through this with my truck, I took 5 rims to the tire dealer and had new snow tires installed on the rims, but I wrote down all the ids ahead of time. I tried to change the ids now that they are on the truck, but Techstream won't let me, it's acting like the fields are read-only. How do I edit the values? There must be a screen I'm not seeing.

delete

I just went through this with my truck, I took 5 rims to the tire dealer and had new snow tires installed on the rims, but I wrote down all the ids ahead of time. I tried to change the ids now that they are on the truck, but Techstream won't let me, it's acting like the fields are read-only. How do I edit the values? There must be a screen I'm not seeing.

I'm interested in this as well!

Discount tire does mine for free - albeit they are morons and I have to walk them through how to do it, but it’s 15 min and free. Ymmv

It would be great if someone could do a step-by-step set f instructions for this. I, too, am driving around with the warning light.

The tire shop said they would swap the ids for me for free, but only this one time. I want to be able to do it myself from now on, plus it's a hassle having to go all the way over there and sit and wait.

Agreed. Looks like you need two separate tools - a tpms reader (you might not if you already have all 10 ids) and a reset tool, like the ATEQ reset tool.

On my wife’s Mercedes, I just install the winter tires and the system reads them. I don’t know if the tire shop cloned the ids from the summer tires, but it sure is nice to not have to mess with this.

I have a set of Blizzaks unmounted in the crawl space I’d like to put on a spare set of wheels to swap on for ski trips, but the TPMS issue has been stopping me. If there was a fairly easy and economical way to get a spare set of sensors that I could program myself I’d be interested. I’m not planning to keep the Blizzaks on all winter, so it doesn’t make sense to go pay someone to do it every time I grow them on.

What's weird is that I swapped the rims/tires on Wednesday night, and have been driving the truck since then, quite a few trips, yet the TPMS light hasn't turned on yet as I expected it would. But when I cycle the dash display to show the current tire pressures, it just says "CHECKING" for all 5 tires. The RW/KO2 tires are stashed in a storage loft at work, far away from where I ever park, so there's no way the truck can be "seeing" them and getting confused.

@KLF did you press the button under the dash?

Also techstream installs are finicky, what you report is similar to my first install I could connect but not update settings. I had to reinstall again.

I'll try resetting with the button tomorrow when I leave for work.

Light came on this afternoon when I was running an errand. :frown:

The laptop I'm running Techstream is in poor health, 9 year old Dell Latitude, the touchpad stopped working. I'll try to find something newer and a fresh install. Thanks!

@KLF did you press the button under the dash?

Also techstream installs are finicky, what you report is similar to my first install I could connect but not update settings. I had to reinstall again.

Near as I can understand from the manual, that button allows you to reset the pressure that the system uses before it shows a low tire warning. I don’t think that switch allows you to swap between different sets of TPMS monitors.

so the consensus is we are knackered basically unless we own scanners/readers etc. Crappy. Thanks all.

This has been covered in-depth before in another thread a while back now. One solution is to buy an aftermarket cable on ebay to change the settings yourself via the techstream. Two issues with that:

1. The cable is a Chinese knock-off that is supposed to be compatible, depending on firmware. Another member pointed out the perils of using a knockoff cable and "what-if" you brick the ECU.

2. The other is the techstream software is controlled, so your using a hacked version. Potentially the same issue as above.

Many have used the ebay setup with success to change many settings successfully, I guess it depends on your tolerance for risk. I would gladly pay for a legit solution, but the techstream reader/cable and software are intended for industry service techs, not the DIY crowd.

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom