JDM Astar LED Back-up lights... wish I bought these sooner. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pyrenees

SILVER Star
Threads
Ever since I bought my 100 earlier this year I noticed how great the outward visibility was, but with factory California-car tint (2001 Lexus LX 470), trying to back up in-between two cars in a parking space at night in the rain felt like roulette. Even after I installed an aftermarket backup camera with my aftermarket headunit, the lighting seemed poor. Both reverse bulbs worked, but they were not putting out enough light.

I dropped the lower hatch and used a trim tool to pop off the carpeted lower hatch covering. Then on each side it was three screws to remove a metal plate and I could access each taillight. Just unscrew the top one and pull the bulb out, then stick the LED bulb in. Reviews suggested that if it didn't work, pull it out and reverse the insertion of the LED for polarity's sake, but I never had to do this. Anyway, I put it in reverse and backed up.

"I can see for miles and miles, I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles" - The Who.

Longevity? Eh, we're on day one. I will definitely follow up below if they start to flicker or fail outright. The bulbs fit firmly into the sockets so I'm less worried about one of my original concerns which was dropping and shutting the tailgate repeatedly.

For $20, this is a lifesaver for me since I back up at night a lot.

Pics... last one is of me testing them before inserting into the housings and putting all the trim back together, but you get the idea. They are bright.

42F3B644-0D7F-48EA-B9BC-43ABBF8D83C1.jpeg

E02E45E5-E3C6-490E-9BF4-2B1065CFA0E8.jpeg

1170F87F-069D-4210-96FB-A005499F4099.jpeg

B3A7E088-B99D-46CB-B5D1-9459A7B406BF.jpeg

I have them as well, 2yrs now. Love them. I can now see kids in the parking lot as I back over them, before I was just feeling the bumps.
I bought mine off Amazon, do not remember the price. But worth it. Just don’t use their dome light’s, the heat sink falls off and they flicker and fail. The heat sink is just glued on for those.
But those reverse lights...love them. Also installed them in my wifes van. They are like headlights.

Would these fit an '06 470 too? Any pictures with hatch back up in regular position?

People asked, so this is exactly what I bought on Amazon:

"JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright 144-EX Chipsets 7440 7441 7443 7444 992 LED Bulbs with Projector For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White"

It was plug-n-play, but like I said earlier I will rip these little bulbs a new a****** if they fail me. If you never see another post from me here again that means these LEDs aren't bad or I died and couldn't update this thread.

Good timing. I was just commenting earlier how much of a pain it is backing out of my driveway after having the tint done. Ordered.

Also, this may be a dumb question but here goes.. Was your carpet missing from that panel already or is removing is from the board behind it part of the break down?

2 years now with JDM Astar and work great! Replaced all my exterior lights. Reverse, tail, brakes, turn signals front and rear.

20161103_050500-02.jpeg

20161103_050515-01.jpeg

What other LEDs are you using for taillights, brakes, turn signals, etc? Links? I put in a different flashervrelay but haven’t ordered LEDs yet...except for the reverse lights.

Was your carpet missing from that panel already or is removing is from the board behind it part of the break down?

In the first picture I flipped the carpet piece over and positioned it to show where the snaps are, they are a little hidden.

2 years now with JDM Astar and work great! Replaced all my exterior lights. Reverse, tail, brakes, turn signals front and rear.

Interesting, mine look totally different... see pic.

What other LEDs are you using for taillights, brakes, turn signals, etc? Links? I put in a different flashervrelay but haven’t ordered LEDs yet...except for the reverse lights.

These are my first foray into LEDs, I pretty much did it out of necessity. I'd love for someone to come out with projector-compatible H1 low beam LEDs for the LX but so far nobody has (and I don't care enough to spend $150 on the morimoto HID kit).

71MWxoAdXXL._SL1500_.jpg

In the first picture I flipped the carpet piece over and positioned it to show where the snaps are, they are a little hidden.

Interesting, mine look totally different... see pic.

These are my first foray into LEDs, I pretty much did it out of necessity. I'd love for someone to come out with projector-compatible H1 low beam LEDs for the LX but so far nobody has (and I don't care enough to spend $150 on the morimoto HID kit).

View attachment 1833695

I had DDM Tuning HIDs in my 4Runner and liked them a lot....that was about 10 years ago. Price was right. I would buy them for my LC I just haven’t researched to see what I would want. Install was a breeze on my 4Runner.

DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting

Would these fit an '06 470 too? Any pictures with hatch back up in regular position?

As of today I can confirm that the bulb linked here by OP does not fit in an '05.

I've done some searching, I've found some posts stating the reverse light in my '05 should be a 7440, which is what I ordered and what's in my hand so I'm assuming I was reading about an older truck.

The blade on the 7440 is much too large to fit in the reverse light socket in my truck. Unless there's just a beauty light in there and somehow I totally looked over the main bulb...

Edit, the '05 uses a 921 style bulb. FYI. I ordered a set of these just now and will report back after the weekend: https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Ex...automotive&vehicleId=4&vehicleType=automotive

Last edited:
Before ordering anything off Amazon I look up part numbers on AutoZone and RockAuto, especially bulb sizes. Then I use their numbers to shop for bulbs.

Good advice. I think the issue isn’t the PN, it’s that LEDs are kinda big sometimes compared to their old incandescent friends. So in my case it fit but in his it didn’t, despite the bulb numbers being the same. Toyota changed the housings in 03.

I installed the reverse lights above a few days ago. Huge difference, now plan on doing the brakes and turn signals as well.

Before ordering anything off Amazon I look up part numbers on AutoZone and RockAuto, especially bulb sizes. Then I use their numbers to shop for bulbs.

Waiting to hear your review prior to ordering. Backing out of the farm our daughter takes horse lessons at last night and couldn't see anything so hoping that this is a good solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom